The Red Hide Rebellion

Help Support CattleToday:

Status
Not open for further replies.

farmwife

Reaction score
I found this to be rather interesting from a Hereford Breeder standpoint. I'm sure there are those that will agree and those that won't; just wondering.

From The Weekly Livestock Reporter June 7, 2007

The Red Hide Rebellion by Craig Huffines, Exec VP for AHA

When the beef industry continues to differentiate the value of a feeder calf based on its color it tells me one thing, our beef industry is not a very mature industry. In fact, it says that the beef industry is still interested in establishing false values and misleading perceptions that are designed to take advantage of one segment of our business and line the pockets of another. It's time to say no more to these falsehoods, misleading perceptions, and mischaracterization of livestock in an effort to fit a color pattern that has become nothing more than an overstated value standard to fit a now commodity black-hided brand.
The rub between the auction market system and red hide, or for that matter color-hided, beef cattle has really gone too far. Now I'm not saying that every market maker is guilty, but there is no viable explanation for why a sale barn operator sorts off the 10-15% of the red baldy calves from a string of black baldie steer and heifer mates that were raised under the same conditions, possess basically the same genetics, and are more than likely to perform the very same through the feeding phase of production and on to the packer grade rail. I'm quite confident that when a mixed pen of red and black baldies are placed on show list across the feeding sector, there is no difference in the bid for those pens compared to the bid on a straight set of blacks.
A set of baldie cattle produced from the same set of black baldie mother cows, out of Angus or Hereford bulls will be both black and red in color. The red factor will surely turn up in that cow herd, which has resulted into an arbitrary penalizing sort at many auction markets across the country.
Are not these auction markets supposed to be working for the co-calf man? Do cattlemen not pay a commission for these auction services? Don't auction markets receive a higher commission check when they package, and sell cattle at the highest value? Yes, they can say that the order buyers are asking them to sort them off because the feeding industry demands it, but eh feeding industry knows better.
It's time that the disparaging attitudes toward hide color change. It's costing our industry millions of dollars in lost opportunity as the whole system discourages the pursuit of heterosis and planned crossbreeding. Look at the majority of Continental European breeds that gave way to the black hide movement only to recreate breeds to be a least half black Angus genetics; again, more hybrid vigor taken from the commercial sector.
Now the industry faces a new challenge, the cost of feed and fuel. The expansion of Ethanol production under the government's fuel policy has now put unanticipated burdens on the beef cattle industry cost structure. High energy feed grains are being redirected into ethanol production creating an economic challenge for food animal production and adjustments to this new cost burden will not happen overnight. Not only will the beef industry be asked to produce a high quality product, we will be asked to do it efficiently. The industry will have to use every genetic tool left in the tool shed in order to identify the cattle that can excel on less feed resource. Many of those genetics do not carry a black hide. In fact, the easy going, easy fleshing, Hereford breed may just be in a position to make a real impact on this new dynamic the beef industry is facing. Attitudes will have to change over this color issue, an dif these attitudes toward re hided cattle do not change at your local market, then you might want investigate other options for marketing high quality cattle. There are market channels that are more reasonable than others.

Look, I dont want to argue, but that whole article is way off base and pointing fingers completely in the wrong direction.

The added value for black hided animals is not the beef industries fault. It is the AAA and CAB's fault. They have successfully promoted black hided animals over other colors to the point the general public thinks they are better. Dodge, Ford and Chevy all wish they had such a successful marketing program as do many breed organizations.

The lost oppertunity right now is in not breeding for black hided animals.

As long as CAB can continually convince the buying public, black hides mean Angus and Angus means better beef, black hided animals will bring more money.

Any cattleman that insinuates like animals should not be sorted out at sale time is not much of a salesman in my book. Regardless of color, instead of bringing the price up you would devalue the entire lot. This has been shown to be true over an over.

The auther of the article made a serious error in his logic when he attributed the higher prices, and the ability to change them,
to the beef industry as a whole.

Here is what the beef industry can do though. Instead of crying about CAB and the higher prices they have managed to get for black hided animals, regardless of if you agree with it or not, promote your own breed or hide color to the same extent.

The Check off has done this to some extent in promoting all breeds of cattle, even dairy. This is one of the reasons we are all enjoying sustained record high prices, even with the cyclic drops. The certified brands just add more dollars on top.

Cattleman and women crying about CAB and saying its not fair sound like a bunch of welfare mothers; crying about what they think they deserve for doing nothing because someone else went out an earned something extra.

Oh, I'm not trying the argue either. Just thought the article was interesting and wanted to see what everyone thougth.

CAB has no intention of being honest with their customers. Had they, they would have embraced the USDA's intentions of using DNA sampling to verify CAB's legitimacy. Instead, they fought it.

They have been riding the coat tails of other breeds for years and will continue as long as they are allowed.

The public will find out the truth and this article is one more example of it finding it's way there.

MikeC":wc9q4u3g said:
CAB has no intention of being honest with their customers. Had they, they would have embraced the USDA's intentions of using DNA sampling to verify CAB's legitimacy. Instead, they fought it.

They have been riding the coat tails of other breeds for years and will continue as long as they are allowed.

The public will find out the truth and this article is one more example of it finding it's way there.

:roll: What's dishonest about CAB? The requirements are there for anyone to read. They've never, ever said CAB is ANY percentage Angus. But if it's black, you know it has Angus in it. If it has an AngusSource tag, no matter what the color it can qualify under the visual guidelines. And, no, Mike, Red Angus still don't qualify. :lol:

The idea of DNA sampling every black animal that goes down the grading line is ridiculous and you know it. You just want to whine. Where's the Charloais branded beef program? Talking about riding on the coat tails of other breeds! It's other breeds that have turned themselves black to ride on the coat tails of Angus! I see the red factor Chars are starting to be acceptable; how long until the black ones are?

The USDA did not want to DNA each and every carcass.

They wanted to use DNA for "Spot Checks" to keep them honest, just as they do in Great Britian.

Not too bright today are you? :lol:

I was once told by one of my cattle feeding customers "2/3 of your profit is made the day you buy the calves."

Assumption #1 "The customer is always right" if that's the case and the feeder is the customer and he says split off that red or gray or ... off, well than that's right. But he probably knows he can turn around and buy them back way off the money (and probably will).

Assumption #2 "Black cattle have more angus influence so therefor should grade better" if your want to drink the Koolaid that the AAA is serving that's fine.

My cows are 80% black because that's what the feeder calf customer wants and by suppling him with what he wants I get more dollars. But if a guy can buy reds $5-8 back of the blacks and sell them at $1 back, who's going to win? Same goes for feeding heifers if you know what you're doing. Some of the most profitable lots I've seen are full of red and smokey heifers that are able to go to 1300#.

Getting back to the assumptions my mom always said something about assuming makes a mule out of both of us or something to that effect.

I had read that article a while back. I think in the Hereford World online magazine? I don't have any problem with it. The author's job is to encourage the use of Hereford genetics and he's doing his job.

I disagree with 3MR that the decline of Hereford popularity is caused by CAB and the Angus Assn. I think the breeders have done that themselves. Splitting up, going back together, fighting among themselves, chasing the show bull of the month instead of identifying bulls with commercial values.... I have a friend who's a Horned Hereford guy. The udders on some of his cows are terrible, yet he keeps daughters of those cows. He has calving difficulty, yet he doesn't belive or use Hereford EPDs. He does use Angus bulls on some heifers and he uses the Angus BW EPD to select those bulls. :eek:

Right now Herefords are taking hits at lots of sale barns. Buyers can discount them because the competition for them isn't as strong as for some other breeds. IMO, the best thing a Hereford breeder can do is bypass the sale barn by feeding his own cattle, or somehow getting them in the CHB program. When a producer has figures and facts about gain and grade to offer the buyer, it might help get a better price for his next load of calves.

MikeC":3ucdxrsw said:

They wanted to use DNA for "Spot Checks" to keep them honest, just as they do in Great Britian.

Great Britain? Now that's a beef industry we need to emulate. :lol:

Remarkable. You want someone else to save your breed. That sure doesn't fit with your tough attitude. :lol: :lol:

Frankie":1qbzhibj said:
MikeC":1qbzhibj said:

Great Britain? Now that's a beef industry we need to emulate. :lol:

Remarkable. You want someone else to save your breed. That sure doesn't fit with your tough attitude. :lol: :lol:

AAA should take lessons from GB. Their Angus Purebreds are still pure. :lol:

Someone to save my breed?

Are you coming down with Alzheimers? ;-)

Ask anyone that is not in the cattle business what percent of CAB is angus and they will all say 100%. As a matter of fact, ask most cattle producers and they will say the same.

I know CAB is a brand name, but can anyone give me another example with Certified in the name that certifies nothing.

I think they have been deceptive from the beginning.

csm

I heard or read the other day only 1% of us cattle slaughtered grade prime. Did I hear this right in your opinions? If so what does that say about the black hide since they obviously make up the majority of the kill.

I think honestly - and I know that some of you all will disagree, but I feel that Americans are moving away from prime grade beef. I cannot even get it here, even at the meat markets. Simply because of the fat content. They want a leaner grade of beef that is more healthy, except when they eat steak of course. :D I also hate it when they trim all the fat off of my brisket at the butcher!!!

I think the American consumer has been brainwashed with all of the recent trends with Angus beef. Not to discredit the breed, but I don't the average joe out there can tell me whether or not their Burger King burger is Angus or not. Does anyone remember the "Dr. Angus" commercials?

Most breeds produce wonderful beef and I wish that the whole Angus revolution would come to an end. Let some other breeds shine and share the spotlight.

Anyways that's my take. I dont care what color the cow is, so long as my steak is still good :lol:

3MR":2vos2gdw said:
Look, I dont want to argue, but that whole article is way off base and pointing fingers completely in the wrong direction.

The added value for black hided animals is not the beef industries fault. It is the AAA and CAB's fault. They have successfully promoted black hided animals over other colors to the point the general public thinks they are better. Dodge, Ford and Chevy all wish they had such a successful marketing program as do many breed organizations.

The lost oppertunity right now is in not breeding for black hided animals.

As long as CAB can continually convince the buying public, black hides mean Angus and Angus means better beef, black hided animals will bring more money.

Any cattleman that insinuates like animals should not be sorted out at sale time is not much of a salesman in my book. Regardless of color, instead of bringing the price up you would devalue the entire lot. This has been shown to be true over an over.

The auther of the article made a serious error in his logic when he attributed the higher prices, and the ability to change them,
to the beef industry as a whole.

Here is what the beef industry can do though. Instead of crying about CAB and the higher prices they have managed to get for black hided animals, regardless of if you agree with it or not, promote your own breed or hide color to the same extent.

The Check off has done this to some extent in promoting all breeds of cattle, even dairy. This is one of the reasons we are all enjoying sustained record high prices, even with the cyclic drops. The certified brands just add more dollars on top.

Cattleman and women crying about CAB and saying its not fair sound like a bunch of welfare mothers; crying about what they think they deserve for doing nothing because someone else went out an earned something extra.

Very well said, 3MR. Every beef producer in the country benefits from CAB promotions(by adding considerably to beef demand)whether they realize it or not.

Talk Show Mod":3p34sv3r said:
UCFLonghorn":3p34sv3r said:
I think honestly - and I know that some of you all will disagree, but I feel that Americans are moving away from prime grade beef. I cannot even get it here, even at the meat markets. Simply because of the fat content. They want a leaner grade of beef that is more healthy, except when they eat steak of course. :D I also hate it when they trim all the fat off of my brisket at the butcher!!!

I think the American consumer has been brainwashed with all of the recent trends with Angus beef. Not to discredit the breed, but I don't the average joe out there can tell me whether or not their Burger King burger is Angus or not. Does anyone remember the "Dr. Angus" commercials?

Most breeds produce wonderful beef and I wish that the whole Angus revolution would come to an end. Let some other breeds shine and share the spotlight.

Anyways that's my take. I dont care what color the cow is, so long as my steak is still good :lol:

The consumer has not moved away from prime. THE cattle have changed in quality prime is in short supply!

You know it seems strange, with all the increased sales of Angus genetics the grade problem should be getting better. Instead it is getting worse and yeild grades are in the dumpers as well. As a commercial cattleman I have always wondered why the other breeds havent got that message out. Oh well, I can still buy those Cheap high quality bulls that are not the latest fad

What's dishonest about CAB?

Well could we just start with the name. Furthermore the angus assoc. fully admits that the public will preceive it as being angus. And anyone that thinks people look up the specs is also pulling someones leg.

I do hope that the other breeds never stoop to this level. At one time honesty and integrity is what admired most about the cattle industry.

Might as well through sugar on crap and sell it as cake.

They've never, ever said CAB is ANY percentage Angus.

Then they should have called it "CBB" Certified Black Beef. That would at least have some truth to it.

CSM":1rux4gpf said:
Ask anyone that is not in the cattle business what percent of CAB is angus and they will all say 100%. As a matter of fact, ask most cattle producers and they will say the same.

I know CAB is a brand name, but can anyone give me another example with Certified in the name that certifies nothing.

I think they have been deceptive from the beginning.

csm

How about Certified Hereford Beef?

http://www.ams.usda.gov/lsg/certprog/beef/chb.htm

Or Nolan Ryan Branded beef. Do you think all the beef sold under that name belongs to Nolan Ryan? If you do, I'll tell you a secret: it doesn't.

novatech":2w6ck04w said:
What's dishonest about CAB?

Well could we just start with the name. Furthermore the angus assoc. fully admits that the public will preceive it as being angus. And anyone that thinks people look up the specs is also pulling someones leg.

I do hope that the other breeds never stoop to this level. At one time honesty and integrity is what admired most about the cattle industry.

Might as well through sugar on crap and sell it as cake.

Well, I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but the Hereford Association uses pretty much the same criteria for CHB. If it's marked like a Hereford, it can be considered for CHB. I'll post a link. And there you were considering using a Hereford bull. :eek: Too bad; I'm sure you'd never, ever want to use a bull from a breed that's cheating the consumer. Since you wouldn't want to use Simmental, Limousin, Maines, Salers, because they've add Angus to their make up (black & Red), you're going to have to do some serious thinking about what to crossbreed with. :lol:

http://www.ams.usda.gov/lsg/certprog/beef/chb.htm

What other breed will consistently give you the Hereford markings, except for Hereford?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts