The other side of to much rain. Jump ahead to October 1

Help Support CattleToday:

Not yet.

They have stopped growing since it quit raining. Doubt they will bloom either. Unless we get some rain quick, they have done all they are going to do. So distinguishing varieties would be a long shot for me right now.

I did run across something that talked about their different traits a while back but I'd have to stumble across it again.

Maybe I need to stop my experiments with drought tolerant forages. The weather conditions are to accommodating. Recon I ought to try rice next. :lol:

Boy Vett, I sure hope that we are not having the same "weather" pattern as you are going through. We have had 3mm's of rain in the last 2 months and that blessing of 1/10 of a cm of snow in May. It is forecasted but keeps missing us. Yesterday it rained all day all around us but as usual we got none. This is our pasture and hayfield behind the house . The water hole was right full at the beginning of last summer it went right up to that row of trees. And as you can see the hay field looks pathetic, we usually cut the beginning of July. I am already on my 3rd rotation pasture which I usually do not put cows on until the middle of July.

IMG_1143.jpg

I sure hope we all get some cooperative weather..And that I can keep my chin up like you keep doing..
BTW, I like your pups.. :)

HD, I wish mine looked as green as yours. But I know when mine was like yours, yours probably looked as brown as mine. :p Weatherbug says temp is 99F with S winds at 16. Everyone is beginning to feel the pinch now. The tank has gotten so low that the ridge now divides it into 2 pools. I hasn't been this low since it was dug bigger in 1996. I have 3 more that have less than a foot of water in them.

I don't think anyone is making much hay, even those that got some of those 4 inch rains. Those kinds of rains don't do much besides fill the ponds and creeks and as far as pasture rotation :lol: the cows have been rotate themselves. They start on one end of the place and work themselves to the other end one day and the next day they work their way back to the start, hit the protein tub, salt a mineral, polish off a roll of hay and start over. :frowns:

I guess we will see what happens the next few days. Tomorrow I'm going to round up some of the calves. Not sure just how "green" we are going to pick em yet. Going to end up selling a bunch I'd like to have hang around for a while. Seems I have about the best group of calves I've had in a while for having such terrible forage growing conditions. Cows got nice and fat off the March and April rains. That is a plus.

Sad to say, it looks pretty much like it did last year, just a month or two sooner.

I pulled the cattle off of this pasture after the last rain in April. It hasn't rain since. Had to put them back on today. [img:dg6ylis5 said:
http://www.ranchers.net/photopost/data/500/medium/Rested_Pasture.JPG[/img]

/quote]

My cattle don't look anything like yours. :D
I hope you get some rain soon. It won't stop here in SE Mo. long enough to bale hay, and I'm scared to death when it does stop it won't start again.
So I am afraid to wish for a dry spell.

danl":3rpc9k93 said:
I pulled the cattle off of this pasture after the last rain in April. It hasn't rain since. Had to put them back on today. [img:3rpc9k93 said:
http://www.ranchers.net/photopost/data/500/medium/Rested_Pasture.JPG[/img]

/quote]

I hope you get some rain soon. It won't stop here in SE Mo. long enough to bale hay, and I'm scared to death when it does stop it won't start again.

Exactly what I'm thinking, I'm right across the river from you in TN. Farmers are behind on planting and I am way behind on hay. Next week we're supposed to have a couple of 97 degree days- the heat will be on I'm afraid from then on.

TSR":32rfnwll said:
danl":32rfnwll said:
1982vett":32rfnwll said:
I pulled the cattle off of this pasture after the last rain in April. It hasn't rain since. Had to put them back on today.
Rested_Pasture.JPG

Exactly what I'm thinking, I'm right across the river from you in TN. Farmers are behind on planting and I am way behind on hay. Next week we're supposed to have a couple of 97 degree days- the heat will be on I'm afraid from then on.

Those are "scouts" for the cows. They go out ahead, look for a blade a grass and lead the cows to it. :D

1982, has it been hot there as well, or just no rain? We have had a weird summer so far. I wouldn't even consider it summer yet though. We had 3 days of 95* weather with sustained winds of 35-50mph and after that it has been very cool, in the 40's last week at night. I'm running the concession stand for the ball teams and I've sold more hot cocoa than soda pop it seems. As I write it is absolutely pouring outside and probably no games tonight.

Temps haven't been to bad until lately. They had been staying in the mid 80's till last week. The past few days they have been pegging 99 for a few hours in the afternoon. I guess the low's won't see the 60's anymore, 73 - 75 for now. Winds have been blowing pretty steady 11 - 20 mph for quite a while.

Well, it is Thursday so I figured I'd do another pictorial update. 51 days since it rained.
Cowpeas and millet - thought they looked bad last week. Imagine what another week is going to do.
0015.JPG

And the millet doesn't look any better either.
0037.JPG

The older ones looking bad too. Guess I should turn the cow in on them. But I am thinking save them for when it really gets bad.
0104.JPG

Lowest it has been since the 1996 drought when it was enlarged. Now two separate pools.
022.JPG

I noticed yesterday that the alica patch looked like it was greening up. Unfortunately it is because the pastures surrounding it are getting browner.
0112.JPG

After a night of hustling, they are doing the rest under the shade of the trees.
0065.JPG

0075.JPG

0095.JPG

0161.JPG

Now that we have been disturbed we might as well check the hay feeder.
0195.JPG

Your place is still looking better than mine but next week things might get rough. You have a shot at 107 degrees and no rain predicted for the next 10 days. I still have grass on the other place but it's looking down in the dumps too. A little tropical storm right now wouldn't hurt. I'll cut and bale a first cutting this weekend. I'm figuring I can cut, rake and bale all on the same day with this heat. :lol2:

BeefmasterB":18yyyeuh said:
Your place is still looking better than mine but next week things might get rough. You have a shot at 107 degrees and no rain predicted for the next 10 days. I still have grass on the other place but it's looking down in the dumps too. A little tropical storm right now wouldn't hurt. I'll cut and bale a first cutting this weekend. I'm figuring I can cut, rake and bale all on the same day with this heat. :lol2:

Nah, we don't get the city heat. 95 - 102 is the 10 day range with nights 73 - 76.

Any for sale?

kenny thomas":10p2954b said:
I know it is too far away (1100 miles east of Texas) but if you send the trucks I can get them loaded with reasonable priced hay.
For myself, I'm looking Ok. Not sure what a lot of other people are going to do yet. I imaging most have made enough to get them to the fall but if this doesn't break by the end of August a lot of people are going to be in trouble.

1982vett":edours78 said:
BeefmasterB":edours78 said:

Nah, we don't get the city heat. 95 - 102 is the 10 day range with nights 73 - 76.

Any for sale?

june 18 2009
rains coming your way
next two days

Finally, after 63 days....................

0056.JPG

...........it rained. Started this morning about 10 and rained 1 1/2 inches. Unlike the ones that slip by on the side, split and go around or just fizz out before they got here, this one did a little dance on top of us. Watched the thunderstorm on the radar after it got started. It kind of sat stationary and the rains bounced around in the cloud. Wouldn't hurt my feelings if it kept on raining.

Anyway, it is a start.

Latest posts