The "Girls"

Help Support CattleToday:

Beefman here is our calving corrals.
It's not snow in them.

IMG_6057.jpg

IMG_6069.jpg

IMG_6070.jpg

Hubby got the silver gate dug out of the ice, but broke a rail with the backhoe.
There is another gate at the other end, but it is locked completely in ice.

hope you guys get a slow thaw. Ours was a fast thaw and the roadways and culverts to be repaired is off the chart.
Heard about one reservior that lost a 3' chunk off the top almost washed out a road.

Yes, we are faceing that water -mud situation also. All of our correls are in relative'ly low ground. It's going to be fun and work this spring. Do think that we've got a pretty good chance for our grass to get started and we left some very good grass last fall. So do think that out of this will be some good. Time will tell.

Must say I had a nice dream of green grass last night. That is the best thing to look forward to after all this ice.
Snowed here again on Wednesday and have a light snow falling now.
Well some moisture is better then no moisture.

Correction on that reservior. The break is 30 feet high and 10 feet wide. :shock:
Guess we won't be fishing there this spring. :( FWP had stocked it with trout for years.

http://jllivestockequipment.com/Danielsbarns.html

Have you priced out one of these-they look like a pretty good deal. I think if I ever cold calved again I'd build an open front shed with one or two bays closed in and the rest open with pens down the back. Couple months or better away from calving here-I've got 65 heifers calving our big debate is whether a calf puller would be a frivolous investment-haven't needed one in a long time.

Just curious without getting too personal, what do you feed and how much do they get daily to keep them in that condition in sure harsh conditions?

Thanks NR that is a pretty neat looking set up. That is similar to what I drew up over on ranchers.net. I just like a bit more room to move through, especially when the dogs come to help and get a cow with a calf on the fight. :D

cowboy43 the cows are getting a barley hay bale that weights around 700# a day and they also get a crested wheat grass and native grass hay bale weighting about 500#. We also will rotate in an alfalfa bale when the tempatures drop. those weight around 500# too.
So about 2 bales a day.
they also have salt and Nutrilix 12-12 loose free choice mineral year round.
Just got them a crstylix tub of 20% and 30% protein.

Our bulls, steers and replacement heifers get the barley hay, grass and alfalfa all mixed together.
Just started feeding the bulls and steers some ground barley. One has a meeting with the butcher in April.

Latest posts