the difference between chicken and country fried steak

Help Support CattleToday:

Alan

Reaction score
I'm trying to improve my culinary skills and I really enjoy it, my wife seems pretty happy with my new hobby also. :D Now understand my wife spent 15 yrs in college station and considers herself an expert on Texas eats.

In my research one of the many things I found that I didn't know was "what's the difference between chicken fried steak and country fried steak?". Even though I proved to my wife the primary difference she has her heels dug in because she a dammmmm aggie :lol:

Without the help of google do you know the primary difference between the two? There are two differences but the other is very small and not really a factor. NOW PLEASE DON'T BE A KILL JOY AND END AND RUIN THIS FOR ME AND EVERYONE ELSE RIGHT OFF THE BAT....... PLEASE :) So at least for a little bit just say you know without letting the cat out of the bag, I still give you credit for this meaning less post. :lol: And of course you can always PM the answer to me until a few folks get to think about this.

Thank you :tiphat:

I would say that if there is ANY difference it woulod be in the breading.

Country fried dusted in flour.

Chicken fried double breaded with an egg wash in between or just plain battered and deep fried

After watching The Food Network and triple D wayyyyyyyyy too much :help: I have learned that there are 2 main differences between chicken fried and country fried steak .

hillsdown":15to6xu9 said:
After watching The Food Network and triple D wayyyyyyyyy too much :help: I have learned that there are 2 main differences between chicken fried and country fried steak .

Triple D is one of my favorites, while I don't get any recipes from the show I get a lot of great tips on how to cook different things and ideas for experiments. Good eats is another one I like, the science of food! But the food network is where I first learned the difference, then I checked it out on google. I'm very sure you know the (after reading my PM's) the two main differences. I really don't care about the third, the region it came from and the breading is very similar but maybe not to some. But to me they are not the main difference.

Deepsouth":ut6loxdx said:
Chicken has feathers and steak has hair. :banana:
The answer is found in the gravy. :cowboy:

I really thought this would give it away. I have already given into different batter process and stated I don't care about the region factor. But as far as I'm concerned the big one is still missing. Anyone feel free to give the answer.

I'll post what I wrote to you earlier with one correction.

Chicken fried uses a breading of the drench and dredge method and can use milk, buttermilk and egg in the drench.

Country fried uses a wet batter.

Region plays a part of which gravies are used and I'm finding areas that use brown gravy is more likely to refer to it as country fried. Cream/peppered gravy areas are more likely to refer to it as chicken fried.

Jogeephus":1eds0crb said:
I'll guess the breading too. Don't know. Alan, I feel your pain. I'm married to an Aggie too.

:clap: :clap: :clap: You and Alan are a couple of extremely lucky guys. Of course I'm sure you already knew that.

Alan does it have anything to do with the way it's cooked?? Seems some down here batter heavy and deep fry. Others batter lightly and use alot of black pepper and fry slowly in a skillet. (I prefer this way)

Country-fried steak is flour-dusted and usually served with brown gravy and onions, chicken-fried steak is breaded with eggs and served with cream gravy.

BUT .............

Then for watching DDD the southerners say one is deep fried and the other is pan fried (usually in lard or bacon ) but chicken fried steak can be either deep fried or pan fried but the gravy (usually white cream gravy) is not added to the plate until just before serving so the fried outside won't become soggy. :???: :?

Not a fan of either and would rather have an authentic weinerschnitzel or fried chicken instead . ;-) :tiphat:

hillsdown":kpahffcv said:
Country-fried steak is flour-dusted and usually served with brown gravy and onions, chicken-fried steak is breaded with eggs and served with cream gravy.

BUT .............

Then for watching DDD the southerners say one is deep fried and the other is pan fried (usually in lard or bacon ) but chicken fried steak can be either deep fried or pan fried but the gravy (usually white cream gravy) is not added to the plate until just before serving so the fried outside won't become soggy. :???: :?

Not a fan of either and would rather have an authentic weinerschnitzel or fried chicken instead . ;-) :tiphat:

Let 3way cook it for you adding all that Dago cooking knowledge of his and you won't know but what it isn't chicken. ;-)

TexasBred":1nwj2j4j said:
hillsdown":1nwj2j4j said:

BUT .............

Let 3way cook it for you adding all that Dago cooking knowledge of his and you won't know but what it isn't chicken. ;-)

BTW ya'll didn't invent this. The process is called Milanese for a reason! Here it is with pasta Alfredo. Whether Italian or Austro/German. The origen is European and come over with them. Milanese is always breaded with egg flour and breadcrumbs.

How's that for some Dago input......my Aggie friend

th

I got in some real trouble once calling my Italian boss that name. Before I knew it was bad. Almost lost my job over it.

Okay, here's the true difference as far as I'm concerned ........ For the most part :? Don't know about the onions and deep frying but I think that brings us back to regional.

Oh and I love DDD, new experiment next time it's my turn to cook :) (she likes to cook on her days off ..... I get to clean :frowns: )

hillsdown":107fmo9j said:

BUT .............

Latest posts