Let the fight begin!

Help Support CattleToday:

I keep Spam as a SHHTF food. But, it's not the same Spam that I remember from my youth that mom used to make in BBQ in a skillet. Pretty sure they took some of the so-called 'bad stuff' out of it and the taste decreased accordingly.
(My wife won't touch it, but she probably hasn't ever been as hungry as I was way back when)

Spam isn't as good as I remember it from my youth, but I just assumed I worked harder and was hungrier back then.

Hot dogs aren't the same either. Even the higher priced dogs, usually claimed to be "brats" are garbage.

Ever open a can of cheap dog food in the 1960s and get a nostril full of full on nastiness?
same thing.
Eat enough of this and it will turn you against pork for a very long time.
View attachment 28653

"with juices'
Doesn't say what kind of juices... Doesn't say 'au jus'.

Just says "with juices" Now I ask you..does that sound anything close to appetizing? It smells even less so and the nasty taste will stay with you long after any nutrition has passed right on out your butthole..
My own generation of military folks is obviously very different from yours, and while some struggles never change, I have always looked at the MREs we've had in my time in service and what they gave y'all... And to be overly crass, when I look at what they fed y'all compared to us I always think "who in the **** thought that was a good idea?"

Not even Spam?
Hormel in Austin Mn with 8 consecutive years of increased sales now produces over 150 million cans of Spam per year.
I thought most everyone has tasted it at some point in their life.
IF you're ever in Hawaii and order "Hawaiin Steak" it's what you're served. :)
Didn't think of Spam...Yeah, a good old fried Spam sandwich is fine with me. I was referring to that can in the picture...the "pork slices with juices"...wouldn't touch that can with a ten foot pole...and yes, there are a lot of Spam dishes in Hawaii...goes back to WWII - I think - when meat was hard to come by on the islands...

My own generation of military folks is obviously very different from yours, and while some struggles never change, I have always looked at the MREs we've had in my time in service and what they gave y'all... And to be overly crass, when I look at what they fed y'all compared to us I always think "who in the **** thought that was a good idea?"
Some of those MRE's were not to bad, but what were they thinking when they made dehydrated beef and pork patties🤮. Oh and the crackers were like eating sawdust.

Sometimes I forget just how long it's been since I left the military. Had no idea MREs had been around 30 yrs already.
They have been around for a long time. I joined the Colorado National Guard in 1988 as a means to pay for college. Really helped out on the tuition.

Occasionally eat fried spam & eggs. Actually quite tasty. Never ate an MRE. Ate C rations for a year in the early Vietnam days. They had '40s dates and were vastly preferable to Kimshi over rice. Would kill for the canned fruit. Was on a TACP (11 man team) with the Korean Marines (Blue Dragons) for all of '66. We used to heat the C's on the exhaust manifold of our generator or radio jeep (MRC-108). (Or over burning bits of C4). Fun days - NOT.

Latest posts