Let the fight begin!

Help Support CattleToday:

Best corn tortillas I ever had was cooked on the detached hood of a car over an open fire in a Mexican open air market somewhere between Acapulco and the border, and served hot with home made salted butter. In the next stall they were selling fresh meat and had to slap it when someone wanted to see what they were buying so the flies would clear off enough to see. You guys can argue all day long over molehills and in the meantime I'm just gonna roll with whatever someone is kind enough to serve and I'll thank them kindly for whatever's provided.

Being picky and complaining about your food doesn't mean you have taste... it just means you are picky and complain a lot for no good reason.

Last edited:
Burrito no mescun eats burritos . No real texican eats burritos. Also a taco with a flour tortilla is a abomination. Flour tortillas should only be used for enchiladas period. Fajitas are fajitas but they are not Mexican food.
Then there's armadillo eggs. They are real, but not really armadillo eggs. Armadillos don't even lay eggs. It's all screwed up but not to the level of screwed up putting beans in chili is.
My understanding is that traditional enchiladas are made with corn tortillas.
I'm in agreement with you on the flour tortillas for tacos.

Best anything Mexican I ever had was down in Arizona way down deep in the border country, me and the boys had been out in the hills doing what we do, and being a professional travel arrangement we totally weren't drinking... anyway, we stopped over at this little hole in the wall joint and the food was as good as all get out. This fella seen by the cut of us that we looked military and asked if we were. We said yes and he tried to pay for our food and such. We politely declined and went on eating enough to fatten a hog. As he left, he walked by and threw a $100 bill on the table. I told everyone that we're paying our own way and that nobody better touch it. Waitress got a $100 tip.

My definition of burrito is it doesn't exist.
Yankees say breakfast burrito, Texans say breakfast taco.

Some people say that if the tortilla is folded in half around the ingredients it's a taco. If the ingredients are all wrapped up in the tortilla it's a burrito. I don't much care one way or the other.

I got breakfast at a hole-in-the-wall place Saturday. I noticed that they served breakfast tacos and breakfast burritos. The burritos were considerably more expensive than the tacos. I ordered two tacos. They were on relatively small tortillas. I assume the burritos were on larger ones (and wrapped up instead of just folded over). I'm pretty sure the people running it would know the difference.

That reminds me. I may have mentioned this before, but about 25 years ago I was working in North Dakota, and one of the locals took me out to lunch . . . at a Mexican food restaurant. Don't ever get Mexican food in Bismarck, North Dakota. It had about as much flavor as unseasoned boiled potatoes.

We had a new cafe open up in town a few years back. Closed now. The guy claimed to be a chef from Austin.
I asked about the chicken fried steak. He sticks his nose in the air and says I don't make chicken fried steak, I make country fried steak...I says just bring me a salad.

There's a high-dollar restaurant here where I'm told you can really get the chef/owner riled up if you ask for ketchup. I ate there once (I wasn't paying and it wasn't my choice). The side dishes were very good, but the steak wasn't any better, and maybe not as good, as the ones at Texas Roadhouse. Too many restaurants seem to be afraid to season a steak.

Did that recipe come from Bismarck North Dakota?
No, it came from southeast OK, in the head of my wife. 😂
On a side note, it does have flavor and some heat. Most of what people call chili around here has no heat and plenty of spaghetti noodles to keep it bland. Then there's the craziness a little ways north of here from Cincinnati that puts cinnamon in it🤮

I understand what you Texans think about beans. Hey, I am the same way when I hear or read about some Yankee or westerner putting lima beans and/or potatoes in Brunswick stew! Sacrilege!! Or sugar in cornbread!
Guilty as charged - I'm not a beans in the chili guy...we do have common ground though - I won't put sugar in the cornbread...lol

Latest posts