Let the fight begin!

Help Support CattleToday:

Granny put beans in chili, mama didn't.
They were both good.
Actually I never ask what they were cooking because it didn't matter, everything they cooked was good.
Yup..."eat it or do without" was the motto...not hard to eat it though because, dang, my mother could (and still can) cook...I'm no slouch in the kitchen but Mom is a 5-star expert in home cooking...83 years old and can still outcook anyone I've ever met...and I've met some good cooks

What's your thoughts on BBQ? I'm not too picky as long as you realize the word is a noun and not a verb used to describe grilling hotdogs and hamburgers. The best may be a pork butt, smoked, a mixture of vinegar and red pepper added in the plate. I've had brisket supposedly cooked how they would in or around San Angelo TX. I can't confirm that but it was right good either way.

What's your thoughts on BBQ?
I've had brisket supposedly cooked how they would in or around San Angelo TX.
I'm a sucker for bbq ribs, love 'em all ways as long as they're tender.
I know nothing of San Angelo.... something special about how they do things?
What's your location or at least add state to your profile. :) he said with a smile

What's your thoughts on BBQ? I'm not too picky as long as you realize the word is a noun and not a verb used to describe grilling hotdogs and hamburgers. The best may be a pork butt, smoked, a mixture of vinegar and red pepper added in the plate. I've had brisket supposedly cooked how they would in or around San Angelo TX. I can't confirm that but it was right good either way.
In the south, pork is what BBQ is made of. And it isn't BBQ'ed, it is smoked. I have friends from Texas that say if it ain't beef, it ain't BBQ.. that pigs don't belong at the table!!!

I'm a sucker for bbq ribs, love 'em all ways as long as they're tender.
I know nothing of San Angelo.... something special about how they do things?
What's your location or at least add state to your profile. :) he said with a smile

I don't know. I just know that's where the guy that cooked it was from. I hear Texas is big, so I wanted to be specific:). I'm from VA, so we have nothing. We just copy what NC does or sop it in a mix of molasses and ketchup.

Fixed the location thing.

Canned beans are okay in a desperate pinch but, if you have ever had fresh pintos beans or purple hull peas shelled and cooked straight out of the garden then, in my opinion you probably haven't ever lived. I raise a good size garden and probably 90% of it is dedicated to pintos and purple hulls.
@Big Creek... I grew up on pinkeye purplehulls, and thought they were 'the bomb', but after I left home, Dad started planting Zipper Cream cowpeas, 'cause they were easier to shell out... but damn! those were nasty, mushy, tasteless things (about like chickpeas, I guess). BUT!!! over the last 3 years or so, I've grown 10 or 12 different varieties of cowpeas (including PEPHs)... and others are SO MUCH BETTER than purplehulls, that I probably will not ever dedicate any space to PEPHs again.

Oh, and @Silver... I do like me some poutine!

In the south, pork is what BBQ is made of. And it isn't BBQ'ed, it is smoked. I have friends from Texas that say if it ain't beef, it ain't BBQ.. that pigs don't belong at the table!!!
Worked with a Texan that said the same thing..till he ate one of Bob Gibson's pork sandwiches..he was impressed..

Last edited:
What am I cooking? I can do ribs, butts, briskets, small critters, all kinds of stuff. I have different recipes for all of it.

Ever open a can of cheap dog food in the 1960s and get a nostril full of full on nastiness?
same thing.
Eat enough of this and it will turn you against pork for a very long time.
porkwithjuices.jpg

"with juices'
Doesn't say what kind of juices... Doesn't say 'au jus'.

Just says "with juices" Now I ask you..does that sound anything close to appetizing? It smells even less so and the nasty taste will stay with you long after any nutrition has passed right on out your butthole..

Ever open a can of cheap dog food in the 1960s and get a nostril full of full on nastiness?
same thing.
Eat enough of this and it will turn you against pork for a very long time.
View attachment 28653

"with juices'
Doesn't say what kind of juices... Doesn't say 'au jus'.

Just says "with juices" Now I ask you..does that sound anything close to appetizing? It smells even less so and the nasty taste will stay with you long after any nutrition has passed right on out your butthole..
I'm not to keen on the pork-in-a-can idea...never tried it, never will. But I will definitely BBQ some fresh pork. And there's a lot to said for pork loin, bacon, ham, pork chops, etc. Been in Texas all my life and never seen anyone turn down a good piece of pork...BBQ or otherwise.

My wife does ribs and brisket in the slow cooker. It as good as any cooked in the smoker and a whole lot easier.

I'm not too keen on the pork-in-a-can idea... never tried it
Not even Spam?
Hormel in Austin Mn with 8 consecutive years of increased sales now produces over 150 million cans of Spam per year.
I thought most everyone has tasted it at some point in their life.
IF you're ever in Hawaii and order "Hawaiin Steak" it's what you're served. :)

Last edited:
I keep Spam as a SHHTF food. But, it's not the same Spam that I remember from my youth that mom used to make in BBQ in a skillet. Pretty sure they took some of the so-called 'bad stuff' out of it and the taste decreased accordingly.
(My wife won't touch it, but she probably hasn't ever been as hungry as I was way back when)

Latest posts