Marinating Steak in Buttermilk

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
The last steer I had processed fed out pretty well and the steaks are better than Choice but I am not sure I would call them Prime. I saw a guy on the internet that marinated some steaks for a few days in Buttermilk. He said that the lactic acid acts as a tenderizer and you get no aftertaste in the meat at all. I pulled a pack of ribeyes out of the freezer and started marinating them on Monday. After 24 hours, the first two were grilled and they seemed a little more tender and had no aftertaste at all. I am grilling the other two Saturday night (5-day marinate) and I will let you know the results.

I was just curious if anyone else had heard of this.

I have heard of soaking chicken in buttermilk. I think that was a lot of Grandma's secret to her great chicken.

If I know I have tough meat or if I'm making chimichurri steak I will marinate it in Allegro marinade for about a week.
That Allegro is good stuff. And, it is made in Paris, TN.

I've marinated in buttermilk, a whole pineapple, that was run thru a blender, crushed up apples, balsamic vinegar, red wine, and a home made Caribbean Jerk.
The one that worked most noticably was the pineapple. (You use the whole pineapple, outside and the fibrous part, all chopped up in a blender to liquid state, lay the steak in the liquid and leave it in the fridge about 45 min..tops. Then wash the pineapple off the steak, season it like you want and get it cooked.
Do NOT leave a good steak in the pineapple marinade more than 1 hr unless you like a steak that has turned to mush. (it really does work on a lower quality cut)

Look for Youtube vids by someone name Guga Foods. He's kinda goofy to listen to but he's experimented with just about every marinade imaginable.

I've marinated in buttermilk, a whole pineapple, that was run thru a blender, crushed up apples, balsamic vinegar, red wine, and a home made Caribbean Jerk.
The one that worked most noticably was the pineapple. (You use the whole pineapple, outside and the fibrous part, all chopped up in a blender to liquid state, lay the steak in the liquid and leave it in the fridge about 45 min..tops. Then wash the pineapple off the steak, season it like you want and get it cooked.
Do NOT leave a good steak in the pineapple marinade more than 1 hr unless you like a steak that has turned to mush. (it really does work on a lower quality cut)

Look for Youtube vids by someone name Guga Foods. He's kinda goofy to listen to but he's experimented with just about every marinade imaginable.
It's recommended for pregnant women to avoid pineapple due to the compound in it that tenderizes meat. Apparently that compound works as advertized.

Does the Pineapple leave a sweet aftertaste? In fact, It was Guga Foods that did the buttermilk that I saw.

Does the Pineapple leave a sweet aftertaste? In fact, It was Guga Foods that did the buttermilk that I saw.
No. The Caribbean Jerk did tho. It had crushed pineapple and some brown sugar in it..among other things. It (jerk) worked better on slow cooked pork ribs than steak.

The last steer I had processed fed out pretty well and the steaks are better than Choice but I am not sure I would call them Prime. I saw a guy on the internet that marinated some steaks for a few days in Buttermilk. He said that the lactic acid acts as a tenderizer and you get no aftertaste in the meat at all. I pulled a pack of ribeyes out of the freezer and started marinating them on Monday. After 24 hours, the first two were grilled and they seemed a little more tender and had no aftertaste at all. I am grilling the other two Saturday night (5-day marinate) and I will let you know the results.

I was just curious if anyone else had heard of this.
Haven't tried buttermilk on steak but I do soak shrimp in buttermilk before putting in batter. Makes them super great. I've done it to oysters also and they are good. I'll try the buttermilk for ribeye and see how they come out.

Our power was out all night last night so I had to cook the entire meal on the grill with just a flashlight. After 6 days of marinating in the Buttermilk, the steaks turned out well. There was no aftertaste at all and they were a bit more tender. However, it was in no way a mind-blowing experience. It works, but no better than anything else.

Our power was out all night last night so I had to cook the entire meal on the grill with just a flashlight. After 6 days of marinating in the Buttermilk, the steaks turned out well. There was no aftertaste at all and they were a bit more tender. However, it was in no way a mind-blowing experience. It works, but no better than anything else.
Marinating 6 days???
I can't wait that long!
I'd think if ya marinate in Buttermilk, breading would be the next step!

Ya hear that @Ouachita ?
Ya got marinate for 6 days!!! 6 DAYS!

Our power was out all night last night so I had to cook the entire meal on the grill with just a flashlight.
Oh, you poor soul you.!
You make it sound like such............. a first world problem.... It ain't like you had to use a rock to open a can of SPAM and cut it out chunk by chunk with a home built Bowie knife......
Did ya also have to rub 2 sticks together to get it lit?

Oh, you poor soul you.!
You make it sound like such............. a first world problem.... It ain't like you had to use a rock to open a can of SPAM and cut it out chunk by chunk with a home built Bowie knife......
Did ya also have to rub 2 sticks together to get it lit?
Nah, I used a bow drill I fashioned out of some dead limbs. My flint and steel were left at the barn.

Latest posts