Buttermilk and Cornbread

Help Support CattleToday:

Little Joe

Reaction score
Does anyone else eat cornbread in buttermilk? My grandparents used to and lately I've been craving it. My wife made cornbread the other night to go with our brown beans so I had to go get some buttermilk to eat with it. She does a bang up job on her cornbread too. She pours the batter like a pancake into hot bacon grease in a cast iron skillet.

Does anyone else eat cornbread in buttermilk? My grandparents used to and lately I've been craving it. My wife made cornbread the other night to go with our brown beans so I had to go get some buttermilk to eat with it. She does a bang up job on her cornbread too. She pours the batter like a pancake into hot bacon grease in a cast iron skillet.
That was my grandpaws desert...just milk and cornbread for me,love it...

Y'all don't know what you're missing not drinking buttermilk, that's good stuff. Augustus McRae even mentions it in Lonesome Dove when he's telling Lori that life in San Francisco was still just life, it's the everyday things like a glass of buttermilk that you gotta look forward to.

Yes sir grew up on buttermilk and cornbread. Make it once or twice a year. Best part is nobody but me eats it so I get it all to myself. Little salt and pepper is all I put on it.

Good cornbread has just 5 ingredients, cornmeal, buttermilk, salt, black pepper(i like heavy BP), and just a little sugar, cooked in a cast iron skillet with bacon drippings.
I've tried BM & CB, prefer plain whole milk, with chopped onions.
BTW for 65 years I hated buttermilk no one in my family would drink it, but we always keep it for cooking, around 8 years ago I was making CB, for some reason I had a drink, Damn I like it, now I drink more than I use in cooking!!

Last edited:
Makein it like a pancake, that what us Redneck Hillbillys call a hoecake. same batter as cornbread.

Good cornbread has just 5 ingredients, cornmeal, buttermilk, salt, black pepper(i like heavy BP), and just a little sugar, cooked in a cast iron skillet with bacon drippings.
BTW for 65 years I hated buttermilk no one in my family would drink it, but we always keep it for cooking, around 8 years ago I was making CB, for some reason I had a drink, Damn I like it, now I drink more than I use in cooking!!
To me it's like drinking sulfur water..your ok till the taste kicked in..

If you put sugar in it, it is cake not cornbread.

If you put sugar in it, it is cake not cornbread.
Just a little sugar, not enough that you can taste the sugar, it helps make crunchy crust on bottom. Google Sam Venable, @ Knox News, several years ago he had several columns about sugar in cornbread, really down on it, till he found his wife Mary Ann put a little in..:)

Just a little sugar, not enough that you can taste the sugar, it helps make crunchy crust on bottom. Google Sam Venable, @ Knox News, several years ago he had several columns about sugar in cornbread, really down on it, till he found his wife Mary Ann put a little in..:)
I was joking about the sugar. Up north a lot of people make it sweet like cake. To me the key is buttermilk and using bacon grease in the bottom of a very hot cast iron skillet. When you pour the batter in, it begins to fry before you put it back in the oven. That is how I get the nice crust on the bottom.

IMO, Jiffy brand mix (my wife's preferred brand) is too sweet. It detracts from the corn taste and has too much flour as well. The cornmeal/flour ratio makes the difference between cornbread and corn cake. Too much flour and it is more of a cake texture and consistency. You can get a good bottom crust by greasing/oiling the bottom of the skillet, preheating it to 400 deg, pulling it out of the oven and then pouring the mixture in. No need to add sugar for that purpose.

Latest posts