tell how, one and all beef liver

Help Support CattleToday:

Just made a pan full of liver, onions and gravy.
I flour the liver and brown it, sauté the onions then add a little more flour and brown it a little, pour hot water in the pan and season gravy, then add browned liver to the pan and simmer 20-30 minutes until gravy thickens like you want it.
My son came in this morning and demanded I make it, we just had a calf butchered and he was wanting it bad.
We are sitting here stuffed and can barely move lol.
That's the way my grandmother made it.

Liver and onions are something my wife and I get a simultaneous craving for, but just a couple or three times a year. Similar frequency as nookie, and am beginning to believe extraordinarily coincidental.

Liver and onions are something my wife and I get a simultaneous craving for, but just a couple or three times a year. Similar frequency as nookie, and am beginning to believe extraordinarily coincidental.
Man I don't know wether to feel worse for you on account of the liver onions or the frequency of the craving nookie.

It's a delicacy with a lot of our family.
I called my three sons one night and told them I was making liver in the morning,
Later on a buddy called and asked if I wanted to go bow hunting in the morning, I totally forgot about the liver, my son's showed up in the morning and were not happy.

Rolled in flour and pan fried is good.
I try to stay away from flour these days.
Might as well eat rat poison. So I grill it with just a little salt and pepper on the grill. As mentioned above don't overcook it. I'll eat the liver out of anything.
I'm a fiend for organ meat. If I kill anything much bigger than a corn nubbin I'm snatching the liver, kidneys, and heart, and harvesting plenty of fat too. When I butcher a pig I render as much fat as I can. Makes a better anything than even butter could hope to.

Some liver is great, some awful. Fresh is best. Wife and kids are all gluten free. But we all like liver rolled in flour and fried up with onions.

The other favorite is heart. Kidney tastes good but one kid hates the texture.

T
Some liver is great, some awful. Fresh is best. Wife and kids are all gluten free. But we all like liver rolled in flour and fried up with onions.

The other favorite is heart. Kidney tastes good but one kid hates the texture.
when I was a kid, during hog butchering time, we would boil the meat to make head sausage, I would always get a kidney and eat it , I loved them.

Just made it yesterday. Wife won't touch it.

Fry bacon
sauté onion in bacon grease, I usually put onions in on the last turn of the bacon.
flour/salt/pepper on liver
fry liver in bacon grease

Medium low heat (same as normally cook bacon)

I like white gravy some prefer brown
mashed or boiled taters with gravy helps it go down

^^^^ This!! But first this:
I was always taught to soak in milk before cooking. I think it tempers the strong flavor.

Soak sliced liver 4-24 hours in milk. Drain.

The milk makes it more tender and breaks down the cells that cause it to be tough or gamey.

I've made fajita's with liver, too. While I would do it again, I would be sure to add muscle meat to it.

TheMeateater.com has some fantastic recipes for heart, liver, and other unusual meats but one of my favorite is their Seared Venison Heart with Whiskey Butter. I actually use just about any type of thin sliced red meat for that one.

So many good memories of hog butchering. Even did up two pigs on an anniversary but my wife wouldn't put up with that nowadays.

Last edited:

Latest posts