The Critics

Help Support CattleToday:

AngusLimoX":1z219u1q said:
When people post pics in here and say rip it up it reminds me of movie scenes where the guy say's" punch me, go ahead punch me". So the other guy labels him and the guy goes "why did you punch me so hard"! :lol:

When it comes to confirmation I rarely comment because I am not qualified to, and if I do I normally qualify the comments.

Gotta remember these are photo's too, sometimes in real life cattle can turn a certain way and you don't recognize them.
A lot of us got fooled by a bull pic in here a few weeks ago, wish I had saved that thread.
Good Post

GCF_DDEvereldaEntenseG2104.jpg

One of our donors we bought last year. Opinions are welcome, but it doesn't change what I think about her. You shouldn't seek opinions based on one small two dimensional picture. That's the good thing about raising cattle. I think everyone is always trying to improve their herd, but the different ways of getting there is what makes it enjoyable.

Thats why true cattlemen live to be so old trying to obtain the prefect cow. Which is an unreachable goal.
Then we die and our kids that have moved to town sell everthing.

6M Ranch":u1cy95s0 said:

One of our donors we bought last year. Opinions are welcome, but it doesn't change what I think about her. You shouldn't seek opinions based on one small two dimensional picture. That's the good thing about raising cattle. I think everyone is always trying to improve their herd, but the different ways of getting there is what makes it enjoyable.

That is one deep bodied heifer. 8) :)

>>does she allways look like a rockingchair on top.<<

LOL!!!! You beat me to the punch on that one!

Not sure what you mean by rocking chair, but I will assume it wasn't a compliment. Which proves my earlier point. People that don't have a clue what they're talking about, build themselves up by knocking other's stuff down. That's why I don't put any stock in the opinions given by the "experts" on this forum. By the way, several different judges picked her grand or reserve at several different shows. Including grand at the Iowa Beef Expo, which was where this pic was taken.

What a heifer! You're right 6M, it'd be nice to see her from the front and back, but from the side she's exceptional. Obviously guest25 and Nortexsook don't have anything in her ballpark. Funny how jealousy can manifest itself isn't it!

I always thought a straight topline was a desirable trait, not a sway back.

But then as some have already said, a picture taken at teh wrong angle or at a particular time can make a good animal look less desirable than they really are.

Everyone has an opinion, and on a message board like this, we all have our own different tastes. That's what keeps the various breeds going, we all have different likes, environment, and management.

6M Ranch":sp8u6ta3 said:

Real nice heifer. Is that Frank Jackson in the coat? Was he the judge. She's a broody rip.

Oh for cripe's sake...it's the picture. Look right over her rump...there's a black shadow of some sort that makes her rump look so high.

I'm like Jeanne...she's great!

Alice

I raise & show reds and blacks. I really don't care if they are purple & polka dotted, or what breed they are - good cattle are good cattle.
She is young and her hips are higher than her shoulders with her head raised high. Perfectly normal profile to me. She is not pinched behind the shoulders or pinched in front of the hips.
I don't know who 6M is and don't care - he has one heck of a heifer added to his herd.
You have not seen me criticize a red/purple or otherwise colored animal of this quality.

guest25":3ugsktnj said:
Alice":3ugsktnj said:
Oh for cripe's sake...it's the picture. Look right over her rump...there's a black shadow of some sort that makes her rump look so high.

Alice

You know whats so sad here like it or lump it if the animal talked about was any other color. Or say one of the great know it alls had said the animal was sway back everyone would be singing a different tune.

For the most part just a bunch of butt kissin and trying to fit in is all that takes place.

If you doubt this just look back at some of the better animals that have been tore apart. Most look better with far better top lines and have been highly criticized.

They were just different colored and the in crowd fired the first shot. Then everyone had to get the charmin and scotts out. I doubt most have to even get up from the computer any more to get it probably keep it right beside them.
Some people have an eye for cattle , and some don't. You don't. Her trouble isn't that she's sway back and considering any of her troubles, she's a good heifer.

guest25 wrote:
underline is curved or bowed
That's what a breeder of cattle would call VOLUME. Get real. That's what makes a cow a good cow - volume.
I'm not going to argue with you. Just don't want newbies to think there's something wrong with her fullness.
6M - you still didn't post what breed she is. I don't recognize the people in the pic. She could easily be Angus or Simmental - or Maine, or ---

guest25":je9zpklw said:
Alice":je9zpklw said:

Alice

LOOK real close the top line is swayed the underline is curved or bowed to go along with the curviture of the top line or sway.

No shadow there just an animal that is far from the best or anywhere near perfect. I would say more buddy buddy placed this heifer than quality.

Course when maybe theres only two or three animals in a certain class everybodys going home happy.

The animals topline and underline are very inept to say the least.

You can't see that shadow? It makes it look like she's got 3 "butt cheeks," for lack of a better word...with one sticking up higher than the rest.

And, btw, the few bovines I have are red...I like red...Van likes red...that's why we have red. Black has nothing to do with it.

Why am I trying to justify myself? Bad, bad, bad...

There's a blasted shadow in that picture. :p

Alice

Thanks for all the compliments. She's Angus out of Twin Valley Precision E161. Point in posting the picture, was don't get upset when the "experts" make snide comments about your cattle. The only opinion that matters is yours. If you like her, and she fits your operation, then she's a winner. Like I tell my kids when they show animals, it's one persons opinion on one day. I would like to see some pictures of g25's prize winning, choice grading, tasty beef producing cattle. That way we would all have something to aspire to.

>>That's what a breeder of cattle would call VOLUME. Get real. That's what makes a cow a good cow - volume.
I'm not going to argue with you. Just don't want newbies to think there's something wrong with her fullness.
6M - you still didn't post what breed she is. I don't recognize the people in the pic. She could easily be Angus or Simmental - or Maine, or ---<<

Dang, I am laughing now!!!! I was perusing your site and you talk about volume here but in all those pictures on your site, I sure see a lot of pencil gutted racehorses! I guess if I was buying a cow or heifer to run in the 400 meters I'd just have to head on up to NY and get me a couple of those racehorses!

Latest posts