The Critics

Help Support CattleToday:

Matt S":3u5y55lz said:
Jeanne, I really like this cow!

http://www.simmevalley.com/simmevalley/Tunes_Cow_bright.

JPG

Very nice! Who wouldn't want a whole herd like her. :)

Alice":1mp1tjax said:
Oh for cripe's sake...it's the picture. Look right over her rump...there's a black shadow of some sort that makes her rump look so high.

I'm like Jeanne...she's great!

Alice
I'm looking for the shadow, but I can't figure out why there's no shadow from the guy with the hat or any of the others. I think if you look real close there's a midget standing behind her with a 20 gal hat on and you can see the brim of the hat coming out behind her. Could be wrong tho. Happened before.

cfpinz":196dre4i said:
Punxy Phil didn't see his shadow this morning :

Good thing he did or I'ld be headed that way to take care of that gopher.

dun

mnmtranching":20vd9pup said:
Matt S":20vd9pup said:
Jeanne, I really like this cow!

http://www.simmevalley.com/simmevalley/Tunes_Cow_bright.

JPG

Very nice! Who wouldn't want a whole herd like her. :)

Probably nortexsook! I wish there were more like him at the sale barn. I'd probably get some screaming deals on good cattle then! LOL

Roadapple":2m2er9jl said:
Alice":2m2er9jl said:
Oh for cripe's sake...it's the picture. Look right over her rump...there's a black shadow of some sort that makes her rump look so high.

I'm like Jeanne...she's great!

Alice
I'm looking for the shadow, but I can't figure out why there's no shadow from the guy with the hat or any of the others. I think if you look real close there's a midget standing behind her with a 20 gal hat on and you can see the brim of the hat coming out behind her. Could be wrong tho. Happened before.

I think you are probably right...a midget with a big hat makes much more sense. I stand corrected. :D

Alice

dun":1hvmeo6j said:
cfpinz":1hvmeo6j said:
Punxy Phil didn't see his shadow this morning :

Good thing he did or I'ld be headed that way to take care of that gopher.

dun

There's plenty more of them around, soon as it warms up just bring your rifle on over.

cfpinz

Angus/Brangus":25uedezm said:
I've noticed that those who post pictures often ask "what do you think?"

Those who critique might indeed be trying to help the owner learn how to recognize good and bad phyiscal traits.

Who cares if no one likes your cattle? As long as you like them, that should be all that matters!

GMN

Again, I wonder if some of the "topline experts" could tell me how a little sway back is going to economically change my operation?

Thanks

Badlands

Badlands,

For what its worth here is my opinion about structural imperfections.

A little sway back is not going to make a significant economical difference in the short run because most calves goes through a sale barn where they are sold by the pound. However structural weaknesses when young gets accentuated with age and with each pregnancy. What may start as a little sway back in a heifer may end up in a premature cull at say 7 or 8 years because of artheritis, lameness or just general unsoundness. To replace this cow 5 years before what should have been the end to her productive life means one more replacement heifer needs to be retained and developed and calved out.

How much you can tolerate as far as faults go is up to you. The heifer in question is a top heifer and the "little sway back" she has, although not perfect doesn't bother me. A weak loin would bother me for I have seen in my own herd how cows break down or just become so ugly to look at that with age that I cull very hard on that. Structural faults will never improve with age, it will only get worse.

it is not about picking a heifer apart, but if we as cattlemen and especially those in the registered business don't strive for perfection I just don't see a future for the business.

It is the responsibility of the seedstock producers not only to improve their herd, but also their breed and to avoid sending unsound cattle into the breeding herds of others is already a big step forward.

At the same time its the responsibility of the commercial guys not to buy those unsound cattle for the betterment of their herd and the beef production business as a whole.

How do we know it is a fault?

What is the "model" with which we have made that determination?

Badlands

I don't see the point in re-inventing the wheel.

Three hundred years at least of improving livestock and all the observation that goes with that as well as millions of dollars spent on research have given us a good idea on what is ideal and what is not.

Make a study of that and decide for yourself using your experience in your herd what you will cull for and select against and what not.

nortexsook":3izeycgc said:
Is this a feeder calf? Seing as how she is drylotted up by the house, I figure maybe your feeding her out for your Memorial Day cookout?

I've seen better feeders!
Hmmm - we ARE having a July Simmental picnic here. Don't think I'll be inviting you or eating this heifer. :p
ALL cattle are "drylotted" in upstate New York this time of year. :shock: Get real. We're not in Texas.

Thanks for all the nice remarks. I appreciate them.
As far as Nortexsook - he's just PO'd at me because I sent him a PM telling him everyone was tired of his nasty comments and to clean up his act. Worked - don't you think??