The computer age

Help Support CattleToday:

JHH

Reaction score
I think we are breeding ( if you want to call it that) the common sense out of our offspring.

Seems we cant do anything if we don't have a computer. so what is the answer to this? or am I the only one seeing this.

Cant count change back
Cant figure anything without calculator
Absolutely no common sense.

My dad use to spend a lot of time doing calculations with a #2 pencil on a piece of scrap lumber. He'd be amazed by computers....heck he'd be amazed at a calculator. Myself....I started with a slide rule.

TexasBred":1hmkzetq said:
My dad use to spend a lot of time doing calculations with a #2 pencil on a piece of scrap lumber. He'd be amazed by computers....heck he'd be amazed at a calculator. Myself....I started with a slide rule.

LOL. yea I still use a calculator a lot but I can add, make change , and I like to think I have some common sense.

I think older generations have said this about younger generations since the dawn of time.

You have to remember the majority people in jobs counting back change to you at McDonalds or Quiktrip aren't typically the best examples of intelligence, motivation and ambition.

I notice it in places where people rely on the spell checker, which doesn't catch when you use the WRONG word.. their, they're, and there... two, too, and to are of course the most blatantly obvious and most misused words.
I also notice it in the inability of people to estimate.. 650,000 / 6 is going to be about 108,000... I can do that in seconds.. You also notice it when there's no concept of how big a number is anymore... people can't estimate where a decimal place is anymore, they can be off by 10's to 1000's and don't see errors because they can't look at a number anymore and see that the math is just wrong.

Nesikep":16v7j71u said:
I notice it in places where people rely on the spell checker, which doesn't catch when you use the WRONG word.. their, they're, and there... two, too, and to are of course the most blatantly obvious , and most misused words.
I also notice it in the inability of people to estimate.. 650,000 / 6 is going to be about 108,000... I can do that in seconds.. You also notice it when there's no concept of how big a number is anymore... people can't estimate where a decimal place is anymore, they can be off by 10's to 1000's , and don't see errors because they can't look at a number anymore , and see that the math is just wrong.

There is also a lack of use of proper punctuation.

:lol:

HDRider":3mfmunkk said:
Common sense is the new super power...
Well put. The shocked looks on people faces when they meet a teenager with hard work ethic, head on their shoulders, and a little bit of real world common sense. :eek:

M5farm":3kmoosqe said:
LET me google it and I willl find the answer to your question.

Exactly. However, I feel I have more knowledge about a variety of different things because the information is so readily available. The Internet is an amazing resource. without it there are things I would have never known or never learned about in my lifetime

TexasBred":154fla7g said:

me too.......it might as well have been sanskrit.........my tag line is not a joke, it's a confession!

my poor father never got a B in math all the way through Dental School. After weeks of trying to teach me how to use a slide rule finally admitted failure and bought me a new shovel.

3waycross":3s3yuerx said:
TexasBred":3s3yuerx said:

me too.......it might as well have been sanskrit.........my tag line is not a joke, it's a confession!

my poor father never got a B in math all the way through Dental School. After weeks of trying to teach me how to use a slide rule finally admitted failure and bought me a new shovel.

I too started with a slide rule. Then calculators (4 function, +,-,* and /) dropped to $40 so I bought. But, like 3-ways dad, I never got a B in math. I topped out at C+.

I can do simple math in my head and use a calculator for everything else. But I wouldn't be fast enough at a till without calculation function. I could do it, but the line-up would be long and tempers would inevitably flare.

I blame the school system which teaches garbage like algebra, calculus and the such. I predicted it at that time to be absolutely useless, and I was right. If I had my way, I wouldn't teach math beyond grade 8 level, although trig - taught in grade 10, would be of some use to the working man. I have always hated math since the early years when the teachers tried to teach both fractions and decimals at the same time and I asked why we are doing both when this country is supposed to be metric. I remember that ticked Dad off too, when I told him. All BS.

I always hated math till I learned trig, and geometry. It makes wood working, metal fab, drafting, and any job where you need to find a angle, or length of a side of a triangle, so much easier.

Aaron":859efeft said:
I can do simple math in my head and use a calculator for everything else. But I wouldn't be fast enough at a till without calculation function. I could do it, but the line-up would be long and tempers would inevitably flare.

I blame the school system which teaches garbage like algebra, calculus and the such. I predicted it at that time to be absolutely useless, and I was right. If I had my way, I wouldn't teach math beyond grade 8 level, although trig - taught in grade 10, would be of some use to the working man. I have always hated math since the early years when the teachers tried to teach both fractions and decimals at the same time and I asked why we are doing both when this country is supposed to be metric. I remember that ticked Dad off too, when I told him. All BS.

You have identified the problem.

Aaron":3n5kg6v3 said:
I have always hated math since the early years when the teachers tried to teach both fractions and decimals at the same time and I asked why we are doing both when this country is supposed to be metric. I remember that ticked Dad off too, when I told him. All BS.

I use both fractions and decimals, regularly. Often easier to fence off 2/3 of a paddock than the .64% the calculator says the cows need.
No country that's supposed to be metric truly is. We were taught metric in school, never sunk in till I came to a country that actually used it; NZ converted in '67 and just a couple weeks ago when another farmer asked me how much land I farmed, I asked "hectares or acres?" and he wanted to know in acres.

regolith":fqvjoj9r said:
Aaron":fqvjoj9r said:
I have always hated math since the early years when the teachers tried to teach both fractions and decimals at the same time and I asked why we are doing both when this country is supposed to be metric. I remember that ticked Dad off too, when I told him. All BS.

I use both fractions and decimals, regularly. Often easier to fence off 2/3 of a paddock than the .64% the calculator says the cows need.
No country that's supposed to be metric truly is. We were taught metric in school, never sunk in till I came to a country that actually used it; NZ converted in '67 and just a couple weeks ago when another farmer asked me how much land I farmed, I asked "hectares or acres?" and he wanted to know in acres.
I thought fractions were considered universal. 1/4 is 1/4 no matter what you're figuring what it is 1/4 of. It's 1/4 of the whole whatever that may be....or .25 if you prefer but has nothing to do with metrics .

yall must not have any kids in school..think common core math..thats some amazing crap

if I had to do math like that id never be able to build anything. hope your not doing windage or moa to take that 1000 yd shot. cuz the enemy will over run you by the time you do the math common core style

I don't see any correlation between computers and the inabilities of our youth. How else would you have access to hundreds of thousands of people from all over the world to talk about cattle, cars, fishing, ect.

There is some thing definitely missing from the youth of today but I don't think its because of computers.

Latest posts