Not putting the consumer first.

Help Support CattleToday:

jltrent

Reaction score
A lot of company greed........I see it every day and not sure how it will end.

The supermarket giant Carrefour has removed all products from PepsiCo in four European countries: France, Italy, Spain, and Belgium. This action, effective from Thursday, encompasses over 9,000 stores and was taken in protest against price increases from the American company.

Customers at Carrefour stores were informed of the removal through signs explaining the reason for the absence of products, stating:

"We no longer sell this brand due to unacceptable price increases. We apologize for the inconvenience". This decision affects a wide range of PepsiCo brands, including soft drinks like Pepsi, 7Up, Mirinda, Mountain Dew, and Gatorade; chips from Lays, Doritos, and Cheetos; breakfast products from Quaker; and tea and iced tea from Lipton.
Also read

Big Crisis In Moscow

Prince Andrew Reported To Police

While some Carrefour stores still had PepsiCo products on shelves as of Thursday, the reaction among customers was mixed.

One customer, Edith Carpentier, expressed to Reuters that it was unsurprising, citing that the products had become too expensive and were non-essential, adding that many other products would remain available on the shelves.

Related video: High prices cause one of France's largest supermarkets to take PepsiCo products off shelves (Dailymotion)

In response to Carrefour's decision, PepsiCo stated,

"We have been in talks with Carrefour for several months, and we will continue in good faith to ensure that our products will be available".

Carrefour has a history of championing consumer interests. Previously, the supermarket chain had initiated campaigns highlighting products that had reduced in size but were still being sold at the same price.

I don't drink Pepsi. I suppose its good of the supermarket chain to stand up for the consumer, but at the same time, shouldn't it be the consumer who is standing up to Pepsi about the price? My thought is that if the consumer wants Pepsi and one supermarket doesn't have it, won't the consumer just go to another supermarket? I mean, that's what I do.

There are 4 stakeholders in a large publicly traded company like that. Customers, employees, investors and the boys in the C-suite.
Guess who gets priority

Europe, especially France is different than in North America. While we do see some of it here (Bud Light for instance) political and consumer activism is much stronger and more prevalent there than here. Here, profit and stockholder returns are the main driving force. In France, the people will protest and strike for any (and even no) reason at all. It's a national pastime I think.

If you read the label what is in Coke/Pepsi products it does not sound good. They have upwards of 60 grams of sugar with 4 grams to a teaspoon, so go figure. Drink Pepsi and eat Pizza twice a day and you will get as big as a barn door.

If you read the label what is in Coke/Pepsi products it does not sound good. They have upwards of 60 grams of sugar with 4 grams to a teaspoon, so go figure. Drink Pepsi and eat Pizza twice a day and you will get as big as a barn door.
Here is an accurate visual of the sugar in Pespsi (and any sugared soft drink for that matter).
3354-trtworld-208722-243342.jpg
As an aside, remember all of those 1960's studies that say that eating fat is bad for you and that it causes heart disease? Guess who funded most of those studies, the Sugar Industry.

I've worked in corporate america my whole life. First, we need to understand that there is no such thing as company or corporate greed. An inanimate object can't be greedy. People are greedy. The owners of corporations (you and I) are greedy.

More devastating is our insistence on deregulating these same corporations - allowing them to regulate themselves. If you deregulate them, they will do whatever they are allowed to do to make as much money as possible - which is mainly driven by the greed of their owners because they won't feel the consequences of their greed.

Environmental deregulation in particular is like leaving your house for the week with your teenagers in charge and trusting them not to throw a hella party. My entire area - from farm fields to drinking water - is full of PFAS from the paper industry - which my corporation serves. Why is it full of PFAS? It was cheaper to dump than to dispose. If we remove more environmental regulations on corporations there won't be a home left when we get back from vacation.

Since I live in both worlds - agriculture and industrial America - I mostly see that it's agricultural folks insisting on environmental deregulation and then high fiving with their corporate owners as the house burns to the ground. It's crazy. Same is true on global warming.... but that rant will probably get me kicked off the boards :).

From what I could read people were trying to maximize profits and therefore they want be selling their product in four countries and the reason was because of prices that were not competitive. The corporation/company(people that make it up) will not have as much to share with ownership and stockholders because of trying to maximize profits and they over maximized.

Last edited:

Latest posts