The 8 Most Common Genetic Mistakes Made by Cow/Calf Producer

Help Support CattleToday:

Andyva":ssxivl4k said:
So "belly draggers" aren't efficient? Even when they are under the same conditions as the ones that fall off to nothing? They must just eat more and chase the skinny cows away. On the good side, it looks like someone else figured out that there is a direct relationship between the 40 lb. BW and the 390 lb. WW.

Surely you don't think all cows have the same appetite and levels of aggression!

Every time I hear someone brag about their easy keeping cow, or one that raises a big calf, I always want to ask how much she ate. Seems though, that few want to consider that. Kind of like the gamblers I know that only want to tell you how much they won.

Granted, measuring feed intake isn't easy. Researchers are finally starting to measure intake and discovering significant differences in production per pound of feed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_6hSQMz8hyo

SonofButch. Here's what was writen
6. Continental Bulls Can Work in Your Cow Herd
We know and love Angus cattle. We also know that we live in an "Angus" world. Angus is the only viable beef breed for use in a
straight bred breeding program. However, the right Continental cattle can bring a lot to the table. Many commercial producers do not
like Continentals because of too much birth weight, too much size, and too much milk. The big news today is that the moderate
Continental genetics actually have less mature size and less milk than Angus. With negative birth EPD's, you can also keep the birth
weights down. Continental x Angus hybrids and composites give you an easy way to gain from hybrid vigor, increase muscle, and keep
your uniformity. Clay Center data demonstrates that crossbred cows earn $75 more per head per year through heavier weaning
weights, higher rebreeding rates, and living longer (3 more years per cow).

I interpret this as the market demands Angus *influence*, but doesn't require purebred. This remainder is a good place for the continental influence.
We had shorthorns for a long time, and did like them, but when we were stuck in the middle of the breeding season with a bad bull, we took whatever the auctioneer could find for us... it was a 2 year old Gelbvieh, he was a great bull, and his calves look much better than the high% SH. I think having 25-50% of each of SH, Gelbvieh, and Saler in my mother cows would be a good mix for me, I would ideally have less of SH and Saler in my terminal steers though...

Which is correct?
Is it a common mistake to think...
A. Continental bulls can work in your cow herd.
B. Continental bulls can't work in your cow herd.

You're confusing me. Which is correct A. or B.

Latest posts