Terminal sires which do you prefer?

Help Support CattleToday:

The INRA 95 is a bloodline created for the production of veal calves from a dairy base.
The herd is mainly composed of Blonde d'Aquitaine, Charolaises, Limousines, and Maine Anjou females with heavy hindquarters.
These different breeds have been crossbred with each other.
The population to date is 140 cows distributed among 8 independent bloodlines.

From the site given.

mtnman

go with a LIMO they have always worked well for us :D check out my cattle pics to see some limo cross cows and calves but the big thing is to make yourself happywith what ever you breed too.

Forget all that fad junk..out of the 3 serious breeds you listed it would ahve to be black limi..but you left out the most important carcass breed going...angus...red or black

ALACOWMAN":d38cg2ni said:
angus here too.some folks says the bull is more than half of your herd that dont say much for your cows in my opinion
The CORRECT quote is: "A GOOD bull is half your herd - A POOR bull is your ENTIRE herd - for several years!" In other words - it takes a LONG time to correct mistakes made as a result of ignorance - in spite of the quality of your cows, if you keep replacements from the POOR bull!!

DOC HARRIS

I have also heard it as "Your last 3 bulls is 75% of your calf crop" meaning that the current bull is 50% of the calf crop's genetics, and the previous two bulls would typically be the sire of MOST of the cows. I think we all have seen neighbors MESS UP a good set of cows in ~10 years period of time.

Why has know one ask what breed of cattle this Terminal sire is going to service? Can we really give an educated answer without knowing that?

Assuming you're running a primarily British based cowherd, my choice would be Charolais.

DOC HARRIS":lh05sn6o said:
kvcanes":lh05sn6o said:
DOC HARRIS":lh05sn6o said:
looking for weaning weights and yeild.

Limousin

DOC HARRIS

Doc you have been taking the wrong medication again. Charolais is the premier terminal breed.
:lol2: :lol2: :lol2: :lol2: HAHAHAHAHAHA - Bob - I thought I would get a rise out of you ;-)

DOC HARRIS

tis true.

DOC HARRIS":3cpnct8z said:
kvcanes":3cpnct8z said:
DOC HARRIS":3cpnct8z said:
looking for weaning weights and yeild.

Limousin

DOC HARRIS

Doc you have been taking the wrong medication again. Charolais is the premier terminal breed.
:lol2: :lol2: :lol2: :lol2: HAHAHAHAHAHA - Bob - I thought I would get a rise out of you ;-)

DOC HARRIS

Doc Harris = Funny Guy

Good one Doc. Sleep with one eye open my friend. You never know when it's my turn. Ha ha ha.

Latest posts