Terminal sires which do you prefer?

Help Support CattleToday:

topsquar

Reaction score
Charolaise, Belgian Blue , Limousin , Piedmontese, Maine Anjou, INRA92, Romagnola.

forget about calving problems, used on mature cows.
looking for weaning weights and yeild.

all offspring sold, nothing retained for breeding.

Of the ones listed, I'd say Charolais. Otherwise I'd say Angus. If we're talking about "modern" Maines (black), I might seriously give them a look, too. I wouldn't consider the double muscled breeds unless I had a specific market for them.

topsquar":1rn9ycrf said:
Charolaise, Belgian Blue , Limousin , Piedmontese, Maine Anjou, INRA92, Romagnola.

I would choose Limousin from the list.

Excuse, a lil off topic, but what is INRA92?

Ryan

Okay, will someone please educate this wanna be hobby rancher... what is a terminal sire?

Thanks,
Alan

Alan":1o3yqjxd said:
Okay, will someone please educate this wanna be hobby rancher... what is a terminal sire?

Thanks,
Alan
a terminal sire can be a breed like topsquar mentioned to use on your cows not intending for replacements but strickly for market purposes like you might use a angus bull on your hereford for that reason

Alan":fezho3tk said:

Thanks,
Alan

terminal sires are used to make calves for beef production only.

some bulls are used to retain females, terminal is only for slaughter animals.

Aero":16oy79am said:
Alan":16oy79am said:

Thanks,
Alan

I sure am glad someone answered that question, I wanted the answer too. (rookie here too) and I just said DUHHHHH to myself for not knowing what terminal sire meant, it makes sense now.

topsquar":2t4qz1ny said:

What is INRA92?

topsquar":3kyn8fo9 said:

Of those mentioned, I'd say Charolais and then Limousin. If you're wanting WW and yield don't forget about Simmental, Gelbvieh or Braunvieh. Definitely stay away from INRA92, since nobody knows what the heck it is. Do you have a link to the breed association?

I checked Oklahoma States' list and no INRA92 and Cattle Today has 62 breeds of cattle including commercial and Angus hybrids and no INRA 92. I also did an internet search and came up empty. If you have a neighbor selling them he MAY be the whole breed!

C HOLLAND":3ippv22a said:
Aero":3ippv22a said:
Alan":3ippv22a said:

Thanks,
Alan

I sure am glad someone answered that question, I wanted the answer too. (rookie here too) and I just said DUHHHHH to myself for not knowing what terminal sire meant, it makes sense now.

Thanks to the folks that answered, makes sense.

Alan

Latest posts