Tax Bill

Help Support CattleToday:

haase":2t7pts9e said:
One of the biggest areas that were lacking in today is in the trades, more funding needs to be put in those areas, welders, machinists, carpenter's, etc, have hired kids out of high school and even through their 4 to 6 years of college in the summer, after that they spend a year or two trying to get a job at what they went to school, only to be disappointed.

You hit a good one. College bound students need to know where the job demands are. Unfortunately, too many look for a curriculum that is easy rather than marketable!

Your correct on that ravin, the problem has been that so many kids in high school are led to believe that if they don't go to college they won't amount to anything, a lot of them kids that did go to college probably weren't college material, I for one was one of them and didn't go, but when I was in school l wasn't led to believe that either.

Draper":1ouwe3ey said:
I guess I don't recognize your sense of urgency Brute— It seems as if youre only pursuit in life is to peddle for all your worth.
Slow down- take time to live

They can "live" on their dime when they get a job not in school on mine.

There are a lot of us who were forced to get out and work very young. We didn't have the money to do much else. I am thankful every day for that.

Bright Raven":2fpfqjv1 said:
haase":2fpfqjv1 said:
One of the biggest areas that were lacking in today is in the trades, more funding needs to be put in those areas, welders, machinists, carpenter's, etc, have hired kids out of high school and even through their 4 to 6 years of college in the summer, after that they spend a year or two trying to get a job at what they went to school, only to be disappointed.

You hit a good one. College bound students need to know where the job demands are. Unfortunately, too many look for a curriculum that is easy rather than marketable!

What I see first hand is that many youth do not fully grasp exactly what the career field they have chosen to pursue in college equates to in the real world.. so they come out of school with a 4 year degree, 100k in debt, and get a rude awakening as to the nature of their career choice. Many are disappointed and fail to thrive. I tell my children this; " it is great to be employed at something you enjoy, ideally employed at something you have a passion for because it is much easier to excel at things we are passionate about." The reality kicks in when you research and discover if your passion can pay the bills or if it's practical; reality based.
For several generations, our youth have been 'sold' this concept that you need to graduate from college to compete and have a quality lifestyle. Unfortunately, loan organizations and universities have somewhat exploited this line of thinking and parlayed it into a big business...and a quality education isn't the priority. While skilled trades become poo poo'd as not as valuable, or somehow beneath a degree..which in today's reality is far from the truth.

Sidenote: anyone with kids looking for a solid up and coming career field requiring a degree, Pathologists are in high demand with expectation to become even higher in next 10 years.

Bright Raven":p0ou6tdq said:
Not everyone is college material. Not everyone is cattle producer material.

There are children who simply don't like a structured environment. They would rather rebuild a 57 Chevy than study Algebra. Was true in the 1960s, it is true today. I know parents who struggle and suffer through years of frustration because little Johnny will not apply himself to reading, writing and arithmetic. Best route is to guide them toward something they enjoy and make a living doing.

Nothing wrong with being a welder, heavy equipment operator, utility worker, etc.
Apprenticeships Apprenticeships Apprenticeships for every field imaginable. Let industry lure young people in and train as they see fit. High risk businesses could hire extra trainers to watch over trainees but may have to take out more insurance in case of accidents. Education while you work. Would/Could/Did work.... before govt required a degree or licensing for almost every job.

Here's a unique concept. https://www.nytimes.com/2017/12/04/nyregion/columbia-medical-school-endowment-p-roy-vagelos.html

Dr. P. Roy Vagelos, 88, the former chairman of Merck & Co., and his wife, Diana, are donating $250 million to the school, $150 million of which will fund an endowment that the school projects will ultimately enable it to underwrite its student financial aid. Those students with the greatest financial need would receive full-tuition scholarships, while others would get only grants, not loans, to make up their need, the school said.

Bright Raven":w694f220 said:
rollinhills":w694f220 said:
What in the he?? is liberal arts anyway?

That is a good question. It sure ain't science or math.

Science and math fields aren't guaranteed a job anymore either. Even physics majors. STEM has been overhyped apparently; this was depressing: https://www.nytimes.com/2017/11/01/educ ... .html?_r=0

Apparently there are 4 jobs left in the US:
1. minimum wage health care aides (robot can't change bedpan. Yet. But Google and/or Elon Musk are working on it no doubt).
2). Computer/IT worker bee (making mindless apps and dumba__ games to get people addicted to their phones).
3). Politicians
4). Fencing professionals :tiphat:

The rhetoric here is so painful.

I would go as far to say that not one person naysaying the value of a college education has one. Sure there's guys in theit early 30s with trade jobs that do better than me financially speaking but the glaring factor being overlooked is the fact that they work twice as many hours in order to make that money. I mean if that's your mission in life then by all means work yourself to death but as for me, I prefer a more reasonable balance in life. I'll take the 80 grand lifestyle workin 35-40 hours a week and let those wanting to break their back 70 hours a week for a 100k get all they want. Whether it pays 40 grand or 400 grand, pursue what makes you happy. You'll never be worth a **** at doing anything you don't like and you'll certainly never be able to compete against those in the same field that have a genuine passion for that occupation.

bball":3hwlmeg0 said:
For several generations, our youth have been 'sold' this concept that you need to graduate from college to compete and have a quality lifestyle. Unfortunately, loan organizations and universities have somewhat exploited this line of thinking and parlayed it into a big business...and a quality education isn't the priority. While skilled trades become poo poo'd as not as valuable, or somehow beneath a degree..which in today's reality is far from the truth.

Sidenote: anyone with kids looking for a solid up and coming career field requiring a degree, Pathologists are in high demand with expectation to become even higher in next 10 years.

Would you also recommend mortuary school?? Seems to have some job security. :nod:

Draper":84dyewyg said:

I would go as far to say that not one person naysaying the value of a college education has one. Sure there's guys in theit early 30s with trade jobs that do better than me financially speaking but the glaring factor being overlooked is the fact that they work twice as many hours in order to make that money. I mean if that's your mission in life then by all means work yourself to death but as for me, I prefer a more reasonable balance in life. I'll take the 80 grand lifestyle workin 35-40 hours a week and let those wanting to break their back 70 hours a week for a 100k get all they want. Whether it pays 40 grand or 400 grand, pursue what makes you happy. You'll never be worth a be nice at doing anything you don't like and you'll certainly never be able to compete against those in the same field that have a genuine passion for that occupation.
It ain't how much you make, it's how much you keep, and what you do with what you keep.

True Grit Farms":zuhzlzim said:
Draper":zuhzlzim said:

I would go as far to say that not one person naysaying the value of a college education has one. Sure there's guys in theit early 30s with trade jobs that do better than me financially speaking but the glaring factor being overlooked is the fact that they work twice as many hours in order to make that money. I mean if that's your mission in life then by all means work yourself to death but as for me, I prefer a more reasonable balance in life. I'll take the 80 grand lifestyle workin 35-40 hours a week and let those wanting to break their back 70 hours a week for a 100k get all they want. Whether it pays 40 grand or 400 grand, pursue what makes you happy. You'll never be worth a be nice at doing anything you don't like and you'll certainly never be able to compete against those in the same field that have a genuine passion for that occupation.
It ain't how much you make, it's how much you keep, and what you do with what you keep.
That's what my daddy always drilled in our heads.

Draper":jqv64sza said:

That is a good point. I know lots of people whose jobs have taken a dreadful toll on their bodies.

you don't need anything but determination to make it in this country.

Draper":7k51ieeb said:

I agree 100% with this statement but I'll never demean anyone for working at any job they enjoy regardless of how long they have to work or how little they work. It's not always about money which you also said. Some are simply limited in what they can do. This probably applies more to college educated folks than to those without degrees. None of it matters if you don't have the drive to make it happen for you!!!!

Why so many have bad attitudes toward college educate folks I'll never understand. Probably some jealousy, some anger about their station in life. Who knows. I can tell you it's never too late to go back and get that degree if for no other reason than just the satisfaction of completing something else you may have started many years ago. Took me 8 years to get my Bachelors. Had a lot of things going on so going to college was not #1 priority. Took 4 years to get my masters. Same reason. Don't know that either ever made me a dam dollar. :lol2: :lol2: :lol2:

TexasBred":1w20ufbw said:
bball":1w20ufbw said:

Would you also recommend mortuary school?? Seems to have some job security. :nod:

You know it! 18 months here and you can have your license(if I recall correctly) with plenty of opportunity for youngsters to get started.

Latest posts