Tax Bill

Help Support CattleToday:

boondocks":5fefralo said:
I wouldn't go nearly so far as to say there should be no student loans. My siblings and I all had small ones (scholarships and work study paid most of the expenses). We were quite poor, and even a tiny gap would have made college not do-able. We all graduated (science nerds), got decent jobs, paid them all back with interest, with no deferments or missed payments.
I agree with not giving out student loans for bs (for-profit) schools and cosmetology degrees, pet grooming degrees, underwaterbasketweaving degrees...

If this were the 1960s through 1980s. Yes. The college scene has deteriorated in many of the lessor institutions. My retired professor friends all agree that students are going through without the commitment there once was. Not saying all but too many are not getting much out of that investment.

Bright Raven":93exl237 said:
boondocks":93exl237 said:
I wouldn't go nearly so far as to say there should be no student loans. My siblings and I all had small ones (scholarships and work study paid most of the expenses). We were quite poor, and even a tiny gap would have made college not do-able. We all graduated (science nerds), got decent jobs, paid them all back with interest, with no deferments or missed payments.
I agree with not giving out student loans for bs (for-profit) schools and cosmetology degrees, pet grooming degrees, underwaterbasketweaving degrees...

If this were the 1960s through 1980s. Yes. The college scene has deteriorated in many of the lessor institutions. My retired professor friends all agree that students are going through without the commitment there once was. Not saying all but too many are not getting much out of that investment.

Could be because they don't have the personal investment. If they flunk a class so what. It's not costing them. And they have no plans of paying that money back

They may have "no plans of paying it back" but they will. If they don't it will come out of their SS if necessary. The only way to avoid paying it back is to become disabled enough to be qualified for a disability.

boondocks":7l7maosx said:

Truck Driving schools, Trump University

boondocks":tdy5dxe5 said:
Boonie the big problem theses days is that kids no longer get student loans to pay for tuition, room, board and books. They borrow wht it takes to live the lifestyle they want "off campus" and lacking for nothing. No wonder they need 30 grand a year. They all live like royalty.

My kids are recent college grads and it was cheaper for them to live off campus. The housing and meal plans were way more than what it cost them to rent an apartment with some friends. Colleges know they are over charging and some of them force kids to live in dorms for the first year or two just so they can collect the money.

Student loans should be abolished. If you cannot pay for an education, you don't deserve one.[/quote]

I don't say much but this is ignorant. I went to a liberal arts schools to get my degree and took out loans.
Guess what, I paid it all back. Do you think I should have worked for a few years and saved money before I enrolled?

ChrisB":1oj64qei said:
My kids are recent college grads and it was cheaper for them to live off campus. The housing and meal plans were way more than what it cost them to rent an apartment with some friends. Colleges know they are over charging and some of them force kids to live in dorms for the first year or two just so they can collect the money.

I moved off campus after my freshman year b/c it was cheaper.

I think the private sector should fund it. They would step in a recruit kids out of high school they pay for them to get the education they need to fill the spots they need. I bet you would find if they were paying for it you would be in and out a lot faster also.

They need to have these kids ready to go to work at 16 years old. If they are going for a trade and its 2 years they are working by 18, if its 4 by 20. Letting these kids jack around in school to 22-23, 30 is crazy.

Hunter stated:
I don't say much but this is ignorant. I went to a liberal arts schools to get my degree and took out loans.
Guess what, I paid it all back. Do you think I should have worked for a few years and saved money before I enrolled?

It did as I intended. Generate discussion. I have never strayed far from academia. My circle of social friends is made up of 50 % retired professors. Someone said they pay it back. That is good but it also needs to achieve the goals of providing well educated citizens who have knowledge, skills and tools to compete in a highly competitive world. We are falling behind every first world country on the planet. The system of higher education needs a rebuild.

I guess I don't recognize your sense of urgency Brute— It seems as if youre only pursuit in life is to peddle for all your worth.
Slow down- take time to live

"To compete in a highly competitive world"

My god man—make a living, enjoy your family, enjoy life. This hamster wheel mentality is painful to see. Like with cattle, if people would focus more on decreasing cost rather than on increasing income their quality of life would skyrocket!

Draper":1ppdhsz1 said:
I guess I don't recognize your sense of urgency Brute— It seems as if youre only pursuit in life is to peddle for all your worth.
Slow down- take time to live

Draper. Your Post disappeared but I read it.

Quality of life is a separate discussion. And I happen to agree with what you said.

Bright Raven":3stdoe3r said:
Hunter stated:

It did as I intended. Generate discussion. I have never strayed far from academia. My circle of social friends is made up of 50 % retired professors. Someone said they pay it back. That is good but it also needs to achieve the goals of providing well educated citizens who have knowledge, skills and tools to compete in a highly competitive world. We are falling behind every first world country on the planet. The system of higher education needs a rebuild.

So, do you really think getting rid of student loans will solve it? Or are you simply making posts to generate responses and you really don't believe what you post?

Hunter":27jpbscv said:
Bright Raven":27jpbscv said:
Hunter stated:

So, do you really think getting rid of student loans will solve it? Or are you simply making posts to generate responses and you really don't believe what you post?

I think more needs to go into the system of providing financial aid and so do an over-whelming number of the folks that work in the institution of higher learning. Trust me, I cannot outline a solution. But as many have posted, it is basically the theme that there is not a good return on investment.

Ok, so you don't think student loans should be abolished? It is what you make the investment out to be.
College isn't for everyone and nor should it be. It most certainly should not be free b/c we all know who foots the bill if that happens.

Hunter":154knmn9 said:
Ok, so you don't think student loans should be abolished? It is what you make the investment out to be.
College isn't for everyone and nor should it be. It most certainly should not be free b/c we all know who foots the bill if that happens.

The issue is how to administer financial aid. That does open the door to who and how it should be administed. BTW: a good portion of financial aid is through the private sector. It is not just loans but grants and scholarships

One of the biggest areas that were lacking in today is in the trades, more funding needs to be put in those areas, welders, machinists, carpenter's, etc, have hired kids out of high school and even through their 4 to 6 years of college in the summer, after that they spend a year or two trying to get a job at what they went to school, only to be disappointed.

Not everyone is college material. Not everyone is cattle producer material.

There are children who simply don't like a structured environment. They would rather rebuild a 57 Chevy than study Algebra. Was true in the 1960s, it is true today. I know parents who struggle and suffer through years of frustration because little Johnny will not apply himself to reading, writing and arithmetic. Best route is to guide them toward something they enjoy and make a living doing.

Nothing wrong with being a welder, heavy equipment operator, utility worker, etc.

Latest posts