Tarentaise Vs Gelbvieh

Help Support CattleToday:

Nesikep":ekaunb0f said:
c'mon.. Aubrac wasn't even mentioned.. just showing a calf

Thank you.

Heck, not only did I not mention the breed, I didn't even mention if she were mine!

To the point of the thread, GV or TT ... either could work, depending on the animal selected and your objective with the resulting calves. Depending on your objective, there might be some other animals of other breeds you should consider in addition to those two.

thommoos":3e9ka148 said:
WalnutCrest":3e9ka148 said:
What am I looking at?

Calves? Specifically Gelbvieh crossed with Beefmasters. Taken this morning. All born between Jan 29 and March 4. No calving problems, all growing quite well, all very uniform, all males are Black and polled. the females and black, brendle, and black brendle and polled. I posted my Gelbvieh crosses. they seem to be working.

You came close to re-inventing the Noble Line. Gelbvieh, Brahman, something else beef maybe it was Angus?? Never understood why those didn't take off. Their standards for culling were very strict and they used good seedstock of all the founding breeds.

Gelbvieh is winning in Tarentaise vs Gelbvieh. Gelbvieh were rawboned, big headed things at first but they have been improved and refined quite a bit, kudos to the breeders. However I think they register more Angus hybrids today than straight Gelbvieh, and are there even any fullbloods still around?

Tarentaise was more refined, better bone to meat ratio to start with. They got upsized a little in pursuit of growth but not nearly the degree of change that most other breeds saw. They look very favorable on the "across breed" epd calculations, more growth with less birth weight than most. The dark pigment markings and femininity of the cows seems to make people think "Jersey cross" and be leery. There were some untimely deaths in the assn. Then they went to "whole herd reporting" fee structure and some breeders couldn't get it thru their heads it wasn't a cow tax and dropped out. So the assn. is smaller today than at one time, and not as wide a genetic base as ideal.

Some recent research was encouraging, the color genes for Tarentaise (and some other breeds but not Gelbvieh) are linked to Salmonella resistance. They TRIED to infect them with Salmonella and couldn't do it. I sure hope the follow up research for e-coli is underway right now! Who wouldn't pay top dollar to feed those?

You can't go too far wrong with influence of either one of those breeds, if you want good momma cows.

MO_cows":28xqc5da said:
Gelbvieh is winning in Tarentaise vs Gelbvieh.

Tarentaise look very favorable on the "across breed" epd calculations, more growth with less birth weight than most.

Why are GV winning if EPDs rule?

Nesikep":3vgcyx4u said:
c'mon.. Aubrac wasn't even mentioned.. just showing a calf

Really? What does it say at the bottom of every post that Walnut Crest makes on this website...............AUBRAC.

Latest posts