Tarentaise Vs Gelbvieh

Help Support CattleToday:

Just wanted to add, the name the Assn. is using for the British X Tarentaise females is Opti-mom. So if you hear that term, now you know what it is. Balancer, Limflex, etc. has been very successful for marketing purposes so Tarentaise influence needed a brand name, too.

Showing71, that is some more nice stock.

Showing71 i like the looks of those cows but ill prolly go with a GV and possibly come back w/ a tarentaise

dun":1q69ujww said:
I've never even seen a tarntaise but I would go with Gelbvieh because of the depth of the gene pool and the availability of bulls/semen
Would HART34W35 be a good maternal? any other suggestions?

Massey135":x9uufkje said:
Whatever you do, if you're gonna be keeping heifers, DON'T USE A CROSSBRED BULL! I agree with the notion that finding a higher quality GV should be easier just bc of shear volumn available. A the same time don't discount the Tar just bc their aren't many around. That black Tar half blood above is as good as any balancer I've seen. Choose the best quality animal you can afford regardless of breed.

Well, there goes 90% of the gelbvieh bulls out there since almost all of them are black :(

sorry, found this on a google search and forgot to look and see how old it was. Just got so wrapped up in reading it that I thought I was on cattletoday's website and forgot about my google search. Memory ain't what it used to be I guess.

Thanks Santa for bringing this thread back.

I am curious to learn if Cross breeder ended up buying either a Tarentaise or Gelbvieh, and if so how did the calves turn out.

UG":1f23mad7 said:

I am curious to learn if Cross breeder ended up buying either a Tarentaise or Gelbvieh, and if so how did the calves turn out.

He hasn't visited since September 2014 ...

WalnutCrest":57ky607b said:
UG":57ky607b said:

He hasn't visited since September 2014 ...

Probably went out of business because of his Simmental comments! :banana:

JK

Cross breeder #1":3s09vesh said:
I'm wondering whether I should use GV(gelbvieh) or TT(tarentaise) as a bull to keep heifers out of. my cows ore 1000- 1250 lbs.

Both are good cow makers but not real common. The TT I have seen are usually smaller than GV. TT are harder to sell here unless black masks their markings.

Gelbvieh hands down

IMG_2296.JPG

IMG_2305.JPG

IMG_2307.JPG

IMG_2301.JPG

WalnutCrest":1uhxo8fv said:
What am I looking at?

Calves? Specifically Gelbvieh crossed with Beefmasters. Taken this morning. All born between Jan 29 and March 4. No calving problems, all growing quite well, all very uniform, all males are Black and polled. the females and black, brendle, and black brendle and polled. I posted my Gelbvieh crosses. they seem to be working.

thommoos":5pkitv3o said:
WalnutCrest":5pkitv3o said:
What am I looking at?

Calves? Specifically Gelbvieh crossed with Beefmasters. <snip>

Thanks for clarifying.

While they're not my cup of tea (I like more rear quarter on mine like the 2.5wk old heifer below), I hope these work out well for you.

Cosette the heifer
WCCC_Cosette_-_2014_04_21_small_.jpg

WalnutCrest":2vxby30l said:
thommoos":2vxby30l said:
WalnutCrest":2vxby30l said:
What am I looking at?

Calves? Specifically Gelbvieh crossed with Beefmasters. <snip>

Thanks for clarifying.

While they're not my cup of tea (I like more rear quarter on mine like the 2.5wk old heifer below), I hope these work out well for you.

Cosette the heifer
WCCC_Cosette_-_2014_04_21_small_.jpg

Instead of hijacking every other breed thread why don't you just post a Aubrac thread of your own.

Latest posts