Tarentaise Vs Gelbvieh

Help Support CattleToday:

Cross breeder #1

Reaction score
I'm wondering wether I should use GV(gelbvieh) or TT(tarentaise) as a bull to keep heifers out of. my cows ore 1000- 1250 lbs
i choose these because theyre fairly efficient and moderate size. I dont want CHAROLAIS or SIMME because char to me = calving problems andd simme = ineffecient.

U didn't say what breed your cows are, and it's probably good you don't have listed where your at.... Lol the simmi folks are gonna have a wanted poster up on u soon

I've never even seen a tarntaise but I would go with Gelbvieh because of the depth of the gene pool and the availability of bulls/semen

my cows are somewhere between 5 and 7/8 angus red or black. Also i was wondering which has more milk?

I don't know much about Tarentaise cattle but I can vouch for Gelbvieh. They make some of the best momma cows around. They are usually good milkers and have calm dispositions. The Gelbvieh influence will really add the muscle on those calves. The Gelbvieh x Angus make some of the best cattle you can find. They really compliment each other.

Cross breeder, both breeds have bulls that sire daughters with lots of milk and bulls that sire daughters with much less milk. Remember, that when it comes to milk there is such a thing as too much of a good thing. In areas with good rainfall and ample grass, producers typically can handle cattle with higher milk EPDs. However, areas with lower rainfall or less nutritious grass (i.e. fescue some of the year) producers tend to have more success with low to mid range milk EPD cattle.

Both breeds have reputations for producing fertile, good milking daughters. One Tarentaise breeder that I know feels that Tarentaise cows produce milk with more butterfat which aids in their heavier weaning weights. The one concern I would have with Tarentaise is that they have a reputation for being a bit more flighty, whereas Gelbvieh have a repuation for being more calm than most Continental breeds; however there are exceptions in all breeds.

Please also remember that not all Tarentaise or Gelbvieh bulls are heifer bulls, so select a bull with abover breed average Calving Ease EPD and a below breed average Birth Weight EPD.

Good luck on your adventure of seeking a new sire.

I've got nothing bad to say about Gelbvieh, but we raise Tarentaise so of course I would rather see you go that direction. We don't have any bulls for sale, so no personal interest other than overall breed promotion.

Here is a little food for thought - because Gelbvieh is more popular than Tarentaise at this time, you would likely get a better Tarentaise bull for the same money as a more average Gelbvieh bull.

Here is a Tarentaise X Angus heifer.
X14_heifer.jpg

I know I am gonna sound like a breed pimp but if you have predominately Angus cowherd and want to keep females I would definately go GV. Then after you have all the replacemnts in place you can use a Balancer bull to maintain the 50/50 balance or throw a Sim bull on them for terminal calves.

You may as well go with a homo blk GV bull and fix your replacements color going in. Look for a bull with 18-22 milk and you will be fine. Also if you want to keep heifers you want a bull with some big nuts it will affect his dtrs fertility a lot. and last but not least try to get a look at his momma cuz that's what he's gonna throw for udder and a lot of other things!

Red Bull Breeder":1srbyj23 said:
If everbody else is a gonna pimp i will to. Just drop down a few thread and look at the limflex bulls that were post a few days ago.

some sorry suckers, if i ever saw one. :lol2: :lol2: :lol2:

gotta agree with Randy they were nice bulls and Colorado boys at that.

HOWEVER I don't remember him asking about Limi's Randy! Hijacker! Breed Pimp :mrgreen:

Whatever you do, if you're gonna be keeping heifers, DON'T USE A CROSSBRED BULL! I agree with the notion that finding a higher quality GV should be easier just bc of shear volumn available. A the same time don't discount the Tar just bc their aren't many around. That black Tar half blood above is as good as any balancer I've seen. Choose the best quality animal you can afford regardless of breed.

I think you might be right UG about the disposition and I'm thinking i want 1 w/ an avg. milk epd and fairly good maternal but still have a little growth

were not buyin the bll for 2 yrs but our herd is growing and it would be intersesting to see what they ook like before i buy one

Tarentaise X Angus (red or black) are in huge demand around my area, we can't breed them fast enough. Replacement heifers make great cows, and steers excel in the feedlot. Here's some pics of ours, they range from 1/4 to 3/4 Tarentaise.

sales-bredheifer2-1.jpg

sales-bredheifer1-1.jpg

salesBredCows1_Large-1.jpg

photos_42.jpg

photos_30-1.jpg

Latest posts