Taking sale pictures!

Help Support CattleToday:

I think you have got them standing really well and they look good. Better scenery in the background wouldn't hurt but if you are looking for a bull, that wont matter. I love how you can see the feet, to me that is a critical thing to see. I know for sale catalogues this is the way they are presented but if i was really interested in a bull i do like photos of the width looking from the rear end and i like to see nuts clearly, they are important. But as far as catalogue standards go i think you have done really well.

You did well.

Notice how the rear legs are set in the first picture. They look postlegged. In the other pictures, one leg is forward. That might be something to watch for to avoid the postlegged look.

Good first effort. Uniform background helps draw attention to animal. A windbreak fence of vertical boards works well as a background. #3 is best picture by far, but even in that one I would like to see green gate eliminated as well as the post behind animal. Taking cattle sale pictures is a real art to master. Shadows, slope, background, body position, footing and other factors all come into play.

The photo is the first impression a buyer gets of a bull, so faults have to be absolutely minimized in a photo shoot.

I think #4 is the best pose. #3 has his front legs camped out in front and gives an awkward appearance.
I do agree with Aaron that background is important.
Also, I like the #4 bull the most so I may be biased about the pic.

Silver said:
I think #4 is the best pose. #3 has his front legs camped out in front and gives an awkward appearance.
I do agree with Aaron that background is important.
Also, I like the #4 bull the most so I may be biased about the pic.

You're right. #4. I missed a pic in my count. Too many awkward leg sets and swayback in the other photos.

Be aware of your background. It can be very distracting. Watch for angles of fences, panels, gates, posts, etc. Try and take photos in an open field if it is possible, or add/hang a neutral color backdrop to your corral to cover up the panels, posts, etc and parade the cattle in front of the backdrop. Also, know where the sun is and how the shadows play into the photos. Sometimes a bright, overcast day makes for better photos than a completely sunny day. You avoid shadows and inconsistent lighting.

It is not an easy job to do, I know I will take a lot and think I nailed it and then come inside and download and be very disappointed. You have got the back legs good in all of them but a lot just don't look set up well in the front. not taking weight properly on the legs. I use a black and white umbrella which I open in front of them to attract their attention which often has them standing up better in the front but a tip, try and keep the others out of eyesight of the umbrella otherwise it will be oh hohum, I've seen that before when it is their turn. You have done well but room for improvement in some and of course the background.

Ken

I just attended a marketing conference and we discussed photos.

I feel like everything addressed, wasn't new information. All 4 legs visible, have 3-5 inches of grass/hay for ground cover, nothing odd in background, north facing (clean) background. Pay attention to shadows.

Videos should be clipped to 30 seconds. Only need ONE side with angus (show cattle with markings, etc... should have both sides).

As another user mentioned, support photos are good (3/4 view/rear) for social media posts.

Latest posts