swollen teats on bull

Help Support CattleToday:

limolinda

Reaction score
What the heck??? I had an 18 month old black bull semen tested last week. About 2 days later the front two teats on this bull became swollen and SUPER pink (back two teats are black...and I assumed the two front ones were too, but can't remember ever looking). Swelling was about 2" long and 1" dia. I called my vet who never heard of such a thing. We are thinking it is a hormonal reaction...bull's first time to ejaculate. Has anyone out there ever seen this??

Haven't ever seen it come from semen testing, but I have seen this happen to bulls that allow themselves to be suckled.
I'll ask around and get back to you.
SL

Last year I had something similar happen to a young bull. His hind teats were swollen with mastitis like symptoms, swelling, heat and pus (or something). Called the vet and he laughed and said he had never heard of anything like that but said to treat it as if it was mastitis, give antibiotics and "milk him". Luckily this bull had been a bucket baby so he let me. I think we figured out that had been caused by flies. Hope this helps.

Duck

I've also never heard of such a thing.. but if you do figure it out, let us know!

Does it seem painful to the bull? Maybe he got stung or bitten by something. Very strange

Sir Loin":hayo6x3h said:
Haven't ever seen it come from semen testing, but I have seen this happen to bulls that allow themselves to be suckled.
I'll ask around and get back to you.
SL
No, this bull hasn't been suckled by other. Sweeling down now and everything looks normal. It didn't seem to have any lasting effects. Bull never went off feed, never was hunched up, no fever, walked fine....just had the swollen teats for 3 days.

Tealduck":3lchlbsr said:
Last year I had something similar happen to a young bull. His hind teats were swollen with mastitis like symptoms, swelling, heat and pus (or something). Called the vet and he laughed and said he had never heard of anything like that but said to treat it as if it was mastitis, give antibiotics and "milk him". Luckily this bull had been a bucket baby so he let me. I think we figured out that had been caused by flies. Hope this helps.

Duck

Teats were not hot, no pus, no cuts, not fly bitten....just swollen. I ran him into chute last night and teats are back to normal. Looks like there are no lasting effects. Still a ? to me.

TheBullLady":xbguhitx said:
I've also never heard of such a thing.. but if you do figure it out, let us know!

Does it seem painful to the bull? Maybe he got stung or bitten by something. Very strange

No, the bull wasn't in pain. It didn't seem to effect him in any way. He remained eating, walked just fine, no fever, no pus, no discharge. Swelling down now and everything looks normal. I guess I'll just latch on to the "hormonal" theory. Thanks to everyone for their response. First time I used "Cattle Today". I think this could be handy. Bye.... :wave:

Latest posts