Swollen Hip

Help Support CattleToday:

draagyn

Reaction score
We had a troubled calf 3 days ago. 100lb angus cross heifer born in cold and wet conditions hypothermic by the time we found her due to the cow being mildly crazy. Got her dry and warm and tubed colostrum. Have had a difficult time getting fluids in her and getting her to nurse her mom. We've been keeping her in the small maternity pen so we can squeeze mom couple times a day and get the calf on the teet. She's been getting on pretty good the last day but today I let them out and the calf's hip is swollen and she's favouring that leg. Did she get stepped on it the small pen or can this be a sign of something else? Vet was here two night ago and waiting on a call back now. Thanks.

We had a troubled calf 3 days ago. 100lb angus cross heifer born in cold and wet conditions hypothermic by the time we found her due to the cow being mildly crazy. Got her dry and warm and tubed colostrum. Have had a difficult time getting fluids in her and getting her to nurse her mom. We've been keeping her in the small maternity pen so we can squeeze mom couple times a day and get the calf on the teet. She's been getting on pretty good the last day but today I let them out and the calf's hip is swollen and she's favouring that leg. Did she get stepped on it the small pen or can this be a sign of something else? Vet was here two night ago and waiting on a call back now. Thanks.
It probably got stepped on but check the calf's navel for infection just in case if it's been laying around in a small pen. Navel infection will go to the joints. I've only had one where it went to the hip (usually the knee swells) but it's a joint too.

Thanks for the response I should say I'm new to this and have limited experience. Naval does not seem swollen. She got iodine twice and I keep pen clean daily. We are going to go ahead with antibiotics if we can

If the navel looks clean & not swollen, I would also guess either stepped on or she somehow stifled it. Neither of which require antibiotics. Possible puncture wound? Could be a number of things. A picture would help, but your best bet is waiting for your vet to call back (maybe send a pic to your vet).

Latest posts