hip locked

Help Support CattleToday:

cowgirl8":1mec1psn said:
Silver":1mec1psn said:
cowgirl8":1mec1psn said:
Not if it's safer and easier in a chute. We do it exactly how our vet does it.

This puller does it's best work in the chute
Is this how your vet pulls one? If have the cow in a chute why would you use this??? Basically it's to keep the cow from moving with hard pulls. They aren't going to move in a chute. That's why we only use it in the field.

No, that's not what they are for. Calves should not be pulled straight back. Lift the bar, jack to take tension, push down on the bar in time with the cow's pushes. So many more options when using the puller in the chute. And these are in fact what the vets use, although if I can't get it out then the vet can't either. Then it's c-section time, which we also used to do ourselves but it happens so rarely anymore we just let the vet do it.

Yes, vets use pullers because thats the job they were designed for. You have no feeling with a winch, its straight line pull until something breaks. You modulate your pressure with the leverage of the pullers pole as mentioned, as well as arcing the calf up over the pelvic bones. Chute or not chute, the ratcheting is for taking up the slack, the pole is for applying force.

But as always you'll glaze over that fact and just want to argue you know best.

9 times out of 10 if the skull fits thru the pelvis, the rest will as well.

You have to wrench the bar down because the ratchet isn't strong enough. Nope. Pulled enough calves to know that its safely done with a come along.
I just can't see using a spanner on a standing cow. I know how hard it is to keep them fully standing. A cow starts to go down you've lost all your leverage. Spanner no longer worky. Honestly i can't believe no one uses a winch in a chute. If you haven't then you have no room to argue on knowledge on calf pulling.

Silver":l5xnyw8z said:
C13900-main-1200Wx1200H

This is the only puller you need. That wide part at the end is the breechen. If it can't be pulled with this it's c-section time. This device allows a calf to be pulled properly rather than a straight on pull from a winch straight to a post.

Watched our first vet break one of those trying to pull a calf. That device didn't impress me at all.

cowgirl8":d4sklvz9 said:
You have to wrench the bar down because the ratchet isn't strong enough. Nope. Pulled enough calves to know that its safely done with a come along.
I just can't see using a spanner on a standing cow. I know how hard it is to keep them fully standing. A cow starts to go down you've lost all your leverage. Spanner no longer worky. Honestly i can't believe no one uses a winch in a chute. If you haven't then you have no room to argue on knowledge on calf pulling.
I have used a ratchet strap. A 3010 jd and a chain. Both of my arms full length inside to pull a calf out. Used a set of ob chains, and baler twine. Have used a cable come-along, and a rope one. Even one time used a couple jump ropes, and a fence post.

Let's argue which method is best.
In my opinion going head first worked best. :lol:

I believe the frame of the Dr Franks is supposed to help spread the pelvis as well I do like the Dr Franks. A straight pull is more likely to tear the uterine artery.

Ken

sim.-ang.king":3k3in43a said:
cowgirl8":3k3in43a said:
I have used a ratchet strap. A 3010 jd and a chain. Both of my arms full length inside to pull a calf out. Used a set of ob chains, and baler twine. Have used a cable come-along, and a rope one. Even one time used a couple jump ropes, and a fence post.

All i have to do is make a comment...and see what happens. I used the word spanner, and then it starts. Just defending my use of the word and the reason we dont use a spanner unless we have to pull a calf in the field..
I still say you cant use a spanner in a chute. Not sure what kind of chute the people here say they use it in, but again, if the cow goes down in the chute what do you do? Do you drag her out and start over? We can get a cow in the chute and have the calf out in a matter of seconds...We pull several a year, never ever injured one even on horrific hard pulls. The winch is lower than the calf, so although its getting pulled evenly out, its not pulled up... Honestly, i'm really confused as to why so many are argruing the issue... I apologize to the OP for their thread ending up like this.....I made a comment that did nothing but use a word most here didnt know....lol....

cowgirl8":2yqhs59f said:
sim.-ang.king":2yqhs59f said:
cowgirl8":2yqhs59f said:

All i have to do is make a comment...and see what happens. I used the word spanner, and then it starts. Just defending my use of the word and the reason we dont use a spanner unless we have to pull a calf in the field..
I still say you cant use a spanner in a chute. Not sure what kind of chute the people here say they use it in, but again, if the cow goes down in the chute what do you do? Do you drag her out and start over? We can get a cow in the chute and have the calf out in a matter of seconds...We pull several a year, never ever injured one even on horrific hard pulls. The winch is lower than the calf, so although its getting pulled evenly out, its not pulled up... Honestly, i'm really confused as to why so many are argruing the issue

I apologize to the OP for their thread ending up like this.....I made a comment that did nothing but use a word most here didnt know....lol....
OP saved the calf,and in the grand scheme of things ain't that all that matters..one calf alive,one thread dead... :cowboy:

cowgirl8":1h3fpu9z said:

You'll have to cut me some slack, I'm just a hobby farmer.

I prefer to pull a calf in my alley behind my chute with the cow standing. I have two 8' bull gates and can get a tractor on either side of a down cow. When a cow goes down in a chute it's a real bugger to get her up, and one side of my chute even opens up.

True Grit Farms":26lfmntp said:
I prefer to pull a calf in my alley behind my chute with the cow standing. I have two 8' bull gates and can get a tractor on either side of a down cow. When a cow goes down in a chute it's a real bugger to get her up, and one side of my chute even opens up.
The way we do it in our chute, the cow can not go down....ever...even if she has no weight on her feet....

Why would anyone admit that own a breed that they constantly can expect to have hard pulls? I own "American" Simmental, and I cannot remember the last time we had what I would consider a "hard" pull.
Some people are just dense. A Come A Long, ratchet, spanner - whatever you want to call it, pulls stronger than any human can - hmmm, good way to ruin a cow. But, hey, cow is a hard calver, so what are you losing?
Calf pullers, are designed to be cranked until you have tension, then, you hand push the pole down so that you can FEEL how much pressure/resistance there is. You are not going to pull a calf in half, but you sure as heck can pull something IN the cow apart.

I do not have a squeeze chute, so my cow is always in the alley BEHIND the chute. I also can open both sides of my chute, but that is not the place I want a cow trying to calve if she might go down.

cowgirl8":1k362sje said:
sim.-ang.king":1k362sje said:
cowgirl8":1k362sje said:

I still say you cant use a spanner in a chute. Not sure what kind of chute the people here say they use it in, but again, if the cow goes down in the chute what do you do? Do you drag her out and start over? We can get a cow in the chute and have the calf out in a matter of seconds...We pull several a year, never ever injured one even on horrific hard pulls. The winch is lower than the calf, so although its getting pulled evenly out, its not pulled up... Honestly, i'm really confused as to why so many are argruing the issue... I apologize to the OP for their thread ending up like this.....I made a comment that did nothing but use a word most here didnt know....lol....

Don't cry "victim" to an argument on an internet forum that you took part in willingly.

Now if you want to debate ways to pull a calf, we can.

The most important part in pulling a calf, is getting the calf out, live, dead, or otherwise.

When you are pulling a calf a lot of different forces are taking place to remove the calf.
There is the backwards pulling, the forwards pushing, and also the lifting the calf up and out of the uterus.
When using just a winch to pull the calf out, or pulling in any way, if the cow isn't brace from also going backwards with the pulling. You are losing the forward movement, and in turn you lose effective pull strength.
By having something to act as a fulcrum while pulling, like a calf pulling pole does, you change from a ramp to a lever. A lever will double your effective work load over just pulling. The puller also uses this lever action to lift the calf up and out the uterus. With just pulling you have to pull up and out of the uterus, and then back down. Doubling your work load once again. So the puller acts as a winch, fulcrum, lever, and ramp all in one.
I once pulled a calf out in the pasture by bracing my feet against the cow rear hip pins, and then pulling with my arms, legs, and back as if I was rowing a boat. Ended up dumping the 115# calf, plus everything else, right on top of me. It worked because I had a fulcrum, my feet, and lever, the rest of my body, to lift and pull the calf out.
So if winching while standing in a chute can get the calf out, well that is the number one goal.
But using a calf puller may save more time, energy, and is actually safer for the calf, and cow, considering the fact that you can control the amount of pressure applied more easily.

I will post this for those that don't know. Always restrain the cow before you start pulling. I had a heifer get up with my puller and chains already hooked to the calf and took off. Everything worked out except the heifer was down for 2 days, the calf was dead and she never bred back.

True Grit Farms":1gn37em7 said:
I will post this for those that don't know. Always restrain the cow before you start pulling. I had a heifer get up with my puller and chains already hooked to the calf and took off. Everything worked out except the heifer was down for 2 days, the calf was dead and she never bred back.

That's good advice. I know a guy that made this mistake. He was down on the ground putting chains on the calf, made the mistake of having one loop around his wrist. Cow decided to get up and run around, and drug him around for a long time. He was awhile recovering from that.

cowgirl8":3s3nt11d said:

Pulling down on a hip locked calf doesn't just give you extra torque. It also tips the widest part of the calves pelvis into the widest part of the cow's pelvis.

skeeter swatter":3nlugc2c said:
cowgirl8":3nlugc2c said:

Pulling down on a hip locked calf doesn't just give you extra torque. It also tips the widest part of the calves pelvis into the widest part of the cow's pelvis.
But but but, if you're pulling down on the calf with the spanner, how do you turn it????? Seems there is a lot of instructions at the beginning at how you have to turn.... Basically, the spanner is the last resort for someone who doesn't have the facility to pull a calf. It gets it out one way or another....Its like changing a tire, you can get a tire changed with a tiny jack and a basic lug wrench, but you don't see many places in the business selling tires doing it that way..

Latest posts