Dislocated hip?

Help Support CattleToday:

colleen

Reaction score
When it rains it pours! Calf born last night looks to have a dislocated hip. But vet says doubtful. Not very common. Reading up on it and now I'm thinking it may not be. Legs looks like it is longer cuz it is bowed out quite a bit. It's limping on that leg. The hip bone sticks out. Its a big calf. Our regular vet can't make it out so I am waiting for his backup to call me and let me know if he can come out and give us an evaluation. Anyone ever have a calf with a dislocated hip? Could be a fracture or just lopsided from being smashed up in womb possibly.
Colleen

Never had a calf with a dislocated hip. Sometimes get one that is crooked, or its body or legs are bowed or curved. They've always straightened out in a couple weeks.

I have a couple of videos but they are not very good. It could be that is the problem. The leg is curved a lot. Vet is on his way.

Vet left. He felt a growth on his femor up high into its knee. I believe is how he put it and without having it x-rayed he really can't tell us a lot. He just said to watch it for a week and see how he does. Let it get a little stronger. Very large calf. Leg is really straight. Tendons are somewhat contracted also. So wait a week and see.
Colleen

Latest posts