hip locked

Help Support CattleToday:

Oh so this is just another 'I'm better than you all' post. Should have known, its all you're ever out for. Yes the proper tool for the job (that vets are trained with and use) are the last resort, yeah sure... and whatever chinese junk you pick up at harbour freight is the pinnacle of cattle handling and care.

And turn what? the puller or the calf? you turn the handle on the puller to turn the puller which turns the calf, the pole rotates.

I've never met someone in real life who's so wrong, but is so adamant they are always right with such insolence. Being the internet I would have assumed trolling long ago, but now I really believe you're just a grade A dummy.

Again I question a lot of the posters experience since they don't understand how to keep a cow up in a chute. Smh

Been watching horrific calf pulling videos. I'll have to video how our vet taught us. Apparently people with little experience at pulling just keep doing the only way old timers did it.

Just for newbies that watched that video. You should never just put one loop around the calve's foot. Should have a double loop. One above the dewclaw & one below it. And that was an easy pull. Probably could have been pulled by hand by that big guy.

cowgirl8":ofdt2f1l said:
greybeard":ofdt2f1l said:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mH6D31aeINM
That is a open chute. Nothing to do anything with.
It, to a large degree, answers the question you asked.
cowgirl8 wrote:
Does anyone have a vet who uses one of these at his clinic?

Tho I don'tknow for sure, the pic that Silver posted looks like a Dr Frank's calf Jack. Mine looks just like it and is a Dr Frank's, designed by Dr B.N. Frank DVM.

To be truthful, I do not like to put a heavy bred in a squeeze chute unless I have a good reason to. My Priefert chute's side door is hard to unlatch if it has much pressure on it and if one goes down in the chute, they sink further and further down in the vee with each exhale. I saw a heavy bred suffocate for the same reason in a vee shaped alley at a ranch in N Texas some years ago and they lost both the cow and calf (did a c section as soon as they got the alley apart--the cow had already suffocated.

by Jeanne - Simme Valley » Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:57 am

Just for newbies that watched that video. You should never just put one loop around the calve's foot. Should have a double loop. One above the dewclaw & one below it. And that was an easy pull. Probably could have been pulled by hand by that big guy.
I agree on both issues. It looked like an easy pull. It would have been nice if they nixed the music and recorded audio. I assumed the 'big guy' was the vet and he was instructing the female assistant on how to use the calf jack. About 4:15, you see what appears to be him motioning for her to lower the rod so she is pulling down and not straight out..it's right after he drops the stick on the floor.

M-5":289fi7n7 said:
Silver":289fi7n7 said:
cowgirl8":289fi7n7 said:
Again I question a lot of the posters experience since they don't understand how to keep a cow up in a chute. Smh

Speaking of questioning experience..............
How dare you question the queen of cattle.

I guess us hobby farmers shouldn't question, rookie mistake :dunce:

Silver":htp81z1f said:
M-5":htp81z1f said:
Silver":htp81z1f said:

That's right . You see you have to be raised in the city and never experience agriculture until your an adult and marry into an operation to become a cattle Baron. If your 4th or 5th generation your just a lowly grunt.

Silver":1r5mq6dv said:
M-5":1r5mq6dv said:
Silver":1r5mq6dv said:

How dare you question a big time rancher like cg8.
Don't worry cg I got your back, us here big timers got to stick together against the onslaught of hobby farmers.

I haven't been doing this as long as a lot of you but personally I think it's a good thing I don't have a lot of experience pulling calves. But when I do I take my time, work with the cow & rarely use the calf puller. And lube!! BTW I have straps similar to the one in the video & really like them.

Silver":3sol5qnf said:
C13900-main-1200Wx1200H

This is the only puller you need. That wide part at the end is the breechen. If it can't be pulled with this it's c-section time. This device allows a calf to be pulled properly rather than a straight on pull from a winch straight to a post.

Fancy piece of equipment a lot better then a rope, a piece of pipe and a board.

My set up at the old place was a Powder River self locking head gate mounted on two railroad ties. It had a 12 foot gate on each side. The cow wasn't squeezed but held. If she went down the head gate released easily and both gates could be opened. Caught in there left plenty of room to use my Dr. Frank's. One of those gates was one of those split gates from a Powder River calving pen that I could open the bottom half. It is easier to get a reluctant calf sucking on a cow than doing it in a squeeze chute. All the parts are out here in a pile. I will rebuild it once I get moved into the new place.

Latest posts