I have a calf that limpes on it's back lag it is swollen at the keen hoke and doesn't look to be swollen any where else

Help Support CattleToday:

How about that... the calf does exist.... I thought just another 1st time poster jerking people around.

The damage has been done, nothing will fix it other than time and pain relief, expect permanent damage.
Keep feed and water easily available for him, and keep him with smaller animals to prevent others from picking on him.
He'll be a slow grower, his meat will be delicious, but there will be additional trim loss when you butcher him next year.

Loretta":179aic0b said:
It's just at the knee and it bruised it was in the pen with horses

It looks, to me anyhow, to be his hock. Looks more than a bruise. Looks like there could very well be a fracture or a break.

He looks a bit small to be 7 months old.

Where did you buy him from?

I no it's just a cow I find a way to save it just like if it was one of my horses or dam sure try my best

Loretta":wmf5vjnh said:
I no it's just a cow I find a way to save it just like if it was one of my horses or dam sure try my best
Good for you. But when it comes to prolonged pain you have to know when to say enough

Loretta":ocm7ctqg said:
It's just at the knee and it bruised it was in the pen with horses

So you bought it this way or it happened in the horse pen? In the horse pen I say he got kicked or beat up. Either way, you have two options.

1. call a vet
2. wait and see

As badly as you want to save it, I would suggest #1. I reckon there's some reason you're resisting that so if you choose wait and see then keep food and water close and keep other animals from it as already mentioned. As Dun mentioned, "wait and see" must also involve putting him down if he's suffering.

Before it suffers it will be put down I will call a vet and see what they say about the the it

I got horse ligament medicine I have some of the swollen to out of it it still won't put wait on it just to move it around

I had a calf with a very similar injury this spring. Ive searched for a video I shot But it seems to be lost with the phone I lost. Never made it to the cloud.
Difference in this case was the calf broke it's leg at about two weeks old. I saw it at a few days old just fine. A few days later with the obvious broken leg. It was keeping up with mom and she was headed for the hills. Nothing I could do.
At about two weeks I found it bedded down with a couple of other calves. I videoed as I honked the cows down off the hill. The calves mother ate some cake I dumped out went and nursed the calf. And headed back out. She kept it in that general area for a few weeks. Then I would start seeing the calf with the other cattle. Still with a noticeable limp but no problem getting around. All the pairs just got hauled home That calf's out there right now and you couldn't tell it ever had a problem.
I never did a thing but let the cow raise her calf.

This calf don't have a mom I am I guess the calf won't put no wait one it it holds it up I got the horse ligament medicine to get some of the swelling out of it I bought the calf from a friend to help him out The medicine seems to be helping a little bit

But even with it holding it up it still gets around it just started putting enough wait on it to move it around

Loretta":2u6u0adw said:
This calf don't have a mom I am I guess the calf won't put no wait one it it holds it up I got the horse ligament medicine to get some of the swelling out of it I bought the calf from a friend to help him out The medicine seems to be helping a little bit

O yes ma'am. I was just talking that's all. You definitely got a different kinda deal on your hands. To be honest I would probably butcher the calf and be done with it. If that doesn't suit you that's just fine to.
Good luck

I will keep using the ligament medicine for now it seems it is helping and I have been doing it for 2days

When I first put the medicine on it popped what would you say that was it made him jerk when it popped and I was just feeling of it

That sounds like bone moving, the hock is a fairly stable joint, I would be looking further up the leg for the problem. A dislocated hip can do that as the ball moves over the pelvis and gets caught and then releases as it pops over the bone as the limb is moved.

Ken

Latest posts