I have a calf that limpes on it's back lag it is swollen at the keen hoke and doesn't look to be swollen any where else

Help Support CattleToday:

Loretta

Reaction score
I have a calf that limpes on it's back lag it is swollen at the keen hoke it doesn't look to be swollen any where else

The calf is around 7 months old or maybe 8 or 9 months old I really don't know how long is Ben like that we bought it like that I just want to save it if I can I feel so sorry for it no it doesn't it seems fine other then it's back lag

If it would let me load a picture u could see what i am talking about

Yes I just want to save it if I can before I thought trying to put a splint on it to see if that would help it

It won't put no wait on it he holds it up off the ground it won't walk on it at all

Loretta":2krsme8k said:
It won't put no wait on it he holds it up off the ground it won't walk on it at all

Front leg?

When you bought him, he was like that? Has it gotten worse? Are any of his other joints like that? Is he eating and drinking? Does he have a fever?

It could be broken, it could be joint-ill, it could be a few things, with different treatment recommendations and different prognosis depending on what is wrong.

If it is joint-ill, a splint will not help. If it is broken, a splint may help.

Sounds like he needs the attention of a veterinarian, who can give you a definitive diagnosis and a recommendation for a proper course of treatment.

Just going by what I perceive to see in the photos I think there is swelling up closer to the hip over the shaft of the femur (thigh bone). It could well be as I suggested before a fracture of the femur. You should get it checked out to confirm what you are dealing with as to the prognosis. Fractures in young animals can heal without treatment or callous up enough to give some mobility. Please note, I said "can" some will do no good.

It's not it's just the way it is holding it up there it can move it up or down He lays on it

Latest posts