I have a calf that limpes on it's back lag it is swollen at the keen hoke and doesn't look to be swollen any where else

Help Support CattleToday:

My vet has always advised "wait and see" when it comes to leg injuries like that. I'd give the calf time to figure it out. I had a heifer get hit by a car and ruined her front shoulder. It took her a while but she figured out how to use her leg as a cane and put back the weight she lost initially.

Some of you are saying put it down, I think if it has the will to live and remains mobile you give it a shot. You'll quickly exceed the value of that calf calling a vet.

Using horse medicine on cows isn't a good practice in general. Horses aren't considered food animals and cattle are. You should research that what you are giving this calf can be eaten by humans.

Loretta":3udry85k said:
Even being it's knee
Doesn;t matter what or where anything is used. For food animals it must be cleared for use on food animals.

It's got bone splinters sticking out i really don't thank it would come out of that but the horse ligament got it down enough to see them thanks for the help

The calf has bone splinters sticking out of it the horse ligament got the swolling has gone down enough to see and feel them it's shattered in there thanks for all the help and everyone thanks so much and sorry to bother everyone

Loretta":328ru4u0 said:
The calf has bone splinters sticking out of it the horse ligament got the swolling has gone down enough to see and feel them it's shattered in there thanks for all the help and everyone thanks so much and sorry to bother everyone

You're welcome for the help.

You were not bothering anyone.

Loretta":1qyhhfsa said:
It's not a good out come

With your description of bone shards, I didn't think it would be. Sorry to hear.

At least you were willing to try. Maybe the next one will be healthy and do well for you.

Loretta, we really appreciate how you conducted yourself here. You were a first time poster but were truly looking for advice, you answered questions when asked and kept us updated on how things were going. We get so many first time posters looking for advice but don't seem to stick around to even see the first reply. We enjoy helping people if we can but do like to hear of the outcome good or bad. Sorry that your outcome was bad but sometimes it is a relief to get a definite answer, you know that there was nothing more you could have done.

Ken

Latest posts