swollen feet n the growth of whatever between the toes

Help Support CattleToday:

tryinhard

Reaction score
Is the growth of whatever u call it between the hooves of a cow, or bull, lack of some mineral, or what I thought it was footrot, and treated it for foot rot, took it to the vet n he says that it shouldn't be that big n suggested getting rid of the bull, which may happen, but I was wondering if any of you may know of something that may have, or could cause this effect on, or between {toes} of the bovine? He was limping have seen others limp very bad, at sale barns, and other people's cows. Didn't want it to be here though.

tryinhard

No, it's just the groth between the toes, is huge it not only is to keep them together, this is spreading the toes apart very big, and the middle part is half way to the ground n this bull is not yet 2 yrs. old. I don't know. The question was is there a lack of something like minerals, or what ?

I think it is more like corns. Did the bull have some age on him. I think it may be from the way they carry their weight over time.

feelnrite":e0u3dypr said:
I think it is more like corns. Did the bull have some age on him. I think it may be from the way they carry their weight over time.

me too.

alveenhoof.JPG

Corn between a bull's claws. I've usually heard it attributed to a high-grain diet. Seen it in cows on occasion.

Its nothing between his toes,as far as grain, rocks, stick etc. Have checked it pretty good, n vet didn't see anything either. As far as fed too much grain, not enough,to be honest. Two other people who raise cattle nearby have told me to try some euromycin {sp} in minerals, and or feed, and also iodine in minerals n such, may spray some iodine solution on it now too, I dont' think it would hurt to try. less costly than another bull. But I don't want this to be something that may be inherited either. Thanks for your thoughts n comments, I really appreciate it. tryinhard

We have a brangus cow and she has one on each hoof, they are corns and I have been told that it is usually genetic and that they would have to be cut out. It cost us around $50.00 a hoof. But if you don't get them cut out they seem to be very uncomfortable for your animal to walk on. Just like it would be for any human.

Latest posts