Supplement Tubs

Help Support CattleToday:

Herefordcross":367iq3gt said:
I have never used tubs.
They seem like an expensive protein.
What are the advantages of a protein tub if any?
Are you using them to build condition, ween or just maintain condition? Are they being used because of the drought?
Just curious
MD

Ever try to keep enough small blocks out for a large group of cattle? The tubs are far easier. And until they get 3/4 empty they stay where you leave them.

Nope never tried the small blocks either. Mine just live on grass and the best hay I can get.
Maybe alittle grain when it gets cold, or for replacement heifers but thats about it.
Might give it a try.
MD

Herefordcross":uwi2ekf8 said:
Ever try to keep enough small blocks out for a large group of cattle? The tubs are far easier. And until they get 3/4 empty they stay where you leave them.

Old truck tires keep them in place. If you can find one that fits the tub well.

I used MLS tubs for a number of years with great success. The AMAFERM probiotic used in it really aids in digestion, and I did notice a 15% - 20% decrease in hay consumption after 2-3 months of use. Its tough to get up here, so I had to switch back to a loose mineral.

Rod

There are a lot of cooked (low moisture) tubs sold but I guess I can't understand the math. I looked at a Crystalyx Super Mag tub that was 12% protein. I sent a sample off to a lab and the TDN was 56.8%. That tub was sold by my local dealer for $113/250# and didn't include the $8 tub deposit.

Most forages around here can carry a pregnant cow pretty well but starts to have problems when they calve and try to get them rebred. That means the cow's requirements goes from about 10 lbs TDN/day to 12-13 lbs TDN/day and protein goes from 2 lbs. to 2.5-3 lbs/day.

I don't see how a tub that cows eat 0.5 to 1 lb daily will provide 1/2 lbs protein and 2-3 lbs. of TDN when it is only 12 to 20% protein and 57% TDN.

The research I've seen says feeding a protein supplement will improve forage digestibility from 2 to 8% but will increase feed intake by 20 to 40% but protein had to be supplemented in the range of 0.5 lb/head/day for that to be accomplished. Cooked tubs just won't make that happen.

Personally, if you have good hay and pasture a cooked tub may fill in temporary nutritional gaps but for most feeding programs they just won't provide enough nutrition.

The PVM tub manufacturing plant is in the town where I live - I can't drive by that place when they are cooking those tubs! I literally gag - YUCH! I can't feed something that smells so bad and it's too expensive for what you get out of it anyway.

We have been using SmartLic, I think the tubs are like 80lbs, keep 2 out for the cattle. About $70 a pop.

Be interesting, talking to a nutritionist tommorrow morning, see what he thinks of them.

Funny point, I went in to buy some a year or 2 ago, they had none at the feed store. Apparently the shipment was stopped at the border because of "chicken feathers " in the tubs! :lol:

Here's their site
http://www.smartlic.com/ap18.html

Caustic Burno":2nsvwv2h said:
No tubs supplement CLS in the winter.
Yup....if you got grass, a good liquid supplement can be among most cost-effective protein....and the dealer brings it out for you.

sidney411":3pq0vmq8 said:
The PVM tub manufacturing plant is in the town where I live - I can't drive by that place when they are cooking those tubs! I literally gag - YUCH! I can't feed something that smells so bad and it's too expensive for what you get out of it anyway.
Wow, you've got a pretty sensitive sniffer there Sidney. I'm in Sealy pretty often, smells pretty good to me....cooking molasses, CSM. Never heard anyone else comment on the smell.

Yeah, I'm pretty sensitive to smells. I can usually smell things most people can't, or don't pay any mind to.

I also didn't like the smell of the coffee roasting houses in Louisiana, but I like the smell of coffee - go figure.

I personally use the Crystalyx tub mostly because it is the closest supplier to me and it is a coop so I also get that patronage check. Seriously though it is a good product but there are alot of other good products on the market also. On an interesting note Crystalyx is coming out with a bio-degradable tub in November. The tub is made out of straw and soybean meal. The cattle supposedly eat it like we would eat ice cream in an ice cream cone. This will eliminate retriving them pesky barrels.

badroute":3l2r9u5c said:
On an interesting note Crystalyx is coming out with a bio-degradable tub in November. The tub is made out of straw and soybean meal. The cattle supposedly eat it like we would eat ice cream in an ice cream cone. This will eliminate retriving them pesky barrels.

That is interesting, I hadn't heard about that. I never really considered retrieving the barrels to be pesky, though, it was just something else that needed to be done. :lol:

I guess I should have been a little clearer about retrieving the tubs. Usually I have between four and five ton out at a time and in some fairly rough country. It usually takes about 4 or 5 hours to pick up the tubs and strap them down on the flatbed trailer. Cant wait for the new tubs in November.

Latest posts