Supplement Tubs

Help Support CattleToday:

We have fed the Crystalyx some and really like it. Purina has a baked tub the seems to be pretty good. The thing I like about both is they seem to be pretty weather proof and they don't bite big chunks from them.

We have been using the Crystalyx brigade tub on these last groups of lightweights we have been buying, seems to helps them.

We have been using vigortone baked tub. It seems the cattle are using too much. Would like to find one that limits the use a little better.
Jon

feelnrite":2296vkp8 said:
What do the crystalyx costs and is it a 200# tub?
Crystalyx cost vary depending on ingredients, and Protein contents. They can run anywhere from 75.00-125.00. Most all of their tubs are 250lbs.

They were $105 for the fescue tubs and $98 for the protein tubs I think they are 20% or around that. They claim they'll give you credit back on empty tubs but, where we buy them won't.

We've been using the PVM tubs, which I think are manufacturere locally (central Texas). They have the "plain" ones and the fly control tubs. Right now I"m using the plain, 200 lbs. are $69.00

Herefordcross":2qta2kjt said:
They claim they'll give you credit back on empty tubs but, where we buy them won't.

Have you tried contacting the manufacturer? We have always received a credit when we take in the empty tubs. Does your supplier charge you a deposit on a full tub?

THey charge us the deposit or I should say it's already in the price. He doesn't buy in trailer loads and claims they won't take partial loads of tubs back with them which I can understand, they come in handy to a point but, when you get so many they just trash things up, we hauled sixteen to the dump a few weeks ago.

I have never used tubs.
They seem like an expensive protein.
What are the advantages of a protein tub if any?
Are you using them to build condition, ween or just maintain condition? Are they being used because of the drought?
Just curious
MD

redfornow":3sh5m8v1 said:
I have never used tubs.
Are you using them to build condition, ween or just maintain condition? Are they being used because of the drought?
Just curious
MD

We only use tubs in the Winter months, as a source of protein and to maintain condition. The other function is they do benefit in the digestion of roughage, and feeds.

So mostly to supplement low quality forage and hay?
What age groups? Is it alright for replacement heifers?
Again never used em and just curious

MD

redfornow":2uzm4hdo said:
So mostly to supplement low quality forage and hay?
What age groups? Is it alright for replacement heifers?
Again never used em and just curious

MD
They're fine for growing Cattle, Replacement Heifers, Bulls, etc.I prefer a Protein range from 12-16%.Some go as high as 30% but in my opinion, those numbers are a waste of $$.

Herefordcross":23ehn1gk said:
THey charge us the deposit or I should say it's already in the price. He doesn't buy in trailer loads and claims they won't take partial loads of tubs back with them which I can understand, they come in handy to a point but, when you get so many they just trash things up, we hauled sixteen to the dump a few weeks ago.

It sounds like you're distributor does things a little differently than ours does. We are charged the price for the actual tub, but the deposit is a separate line item on the invoice. If we take an empty tub in at the time of purchase, the deposit is not charged. I believe I would be contacting the manufacturer to make sure they know what is going on with this particular distributor.

msscamp":f6dqpa42 said:
Herefordcross":f6dqpa42 said:

It sounds like you're distributor does things a little differently than ours does. We are charged the price for the actual tub, but the deposit is a separate line item on the invoice. If we take an empty tub in at the time of purchase, the deposit is not charged. I believe I would be contacting the manufacturer to make sure they know what is going on with this particular distributor.
The few times I used them they did like msscamp said 1 deposit the rest they swapped when you brought the empty back.

I have never used tubs.
Just curious
MD

Ever try to keep enough small blocks out for a large group of cattle? The tubs are far easier. And until they get 3/4 empty they stay where you leave them.

Herefordcross":3r55nhtn said:
I have never used tubs.
Just curious
MD

Ever try to keep enough small blocks out for a large group of cattle? The tubs are far easier. And until they get 3/4 empty they stay where you leave them.

The small blocks are not cost effective, unless of course you have only a few head to supplement.

We are using Thermolass and like if very much. Seems the hardest of all the tubs we tried, stands up to weather.

We used to use Feed in the Drum, but it has its own mineral content (reqiring you only to put out white salt), but we like to use our mineral blend.

Tried ultralyx last year but it was way too soft, and in one pasture 14 cows ate 200 lb in one day! They have a quality control problem on the baking issue, subsequent tubs were harder but not like the Thermolass = we'll stick with it.

Billy