Success with "Fixed-Time AI"

Help Support CattleToday:

UncleLA

Reaction score
What's the success rate on using strictly "fixed time AI"?
I'm looking at a protocol that requires an injection of GnRH at insert of CIDR, an injection of PG at removal of CIDR, and an injection of GnRH at insemination (54 +/-2 hours from removal of CIDR).
How expensive are all of these drugs?
Would a normal "country" vet have these drugs on hand?
Thanks for your input.
UncleLA

Your vet should have everything you need. Published is to expect 55-65% conception rates on one service. I personally bred 207 cows (synched for 2 days of breeding)synchronized with this protocol and had a 72% conception rate at preg checking time. Last year we swithched from heat detection on almost everything to a strictly fixed breeding, I felt the slight drop in conception rateds was more that offset by the drop labor. Around here it cost about $20.00/hd for the supplies for this synchronization.

I have went to this program and have had great results. As with any program so many other things come into play. Minerals, BCS, vaccination history, semen quality and weather make or break you. On my purebreds I stick the CIDRs back in for the next heat, I love the low labor. Ordered CIDRS, Ovacyst, and Estrumate today. Best part for me is 3 heats in 45 days. Managing the calving and the calves is easier!

Cidr's cost $10 each, and I got the Lute and GnRH injections for close to $5 per injection. So, as stated, $20 per head is close. As far as success rate I'll let you know in March. :D

Alan

Alan":ogimm3yr said:
As far as success rate I'll let you know in March. :D

Alan

Maybe I'm missing something here, but why March? Unless you keep your girls in individual stalls, you should know the following month whether they settled or not.

msscamp":9697h7wa said:
Alan":9697h7wa said:
As far as success rate I'll let you know in March. :D

Alan

Maybe I'm missing something here, but why March? Unless you keep your girls in individual stalls, you should know the following month whether they settled or not.

I AI'd them all within a 3 day period, then turned the clean up bull out about 16 to 20 days later. As of november 11 no one showing signs of cycling since last June..... no I did'nt preg ck. I should have about a month between my AI calves and my clean up bull calves. I didn't AI a cull cow and let her cycle naturally for the clean up bull to cover, I did witness the breeding and then shipped her as butcher cow.

I probably should preg check, but if I don't see any signs of heat I'm happy. (I hope I'll still be happy in March)

Alan

After time breeding, I routinely stick the CIDRs back in everybody on day 13 (hiefers) and 14 (cows) and pull in 7 days only those not bred will come in heat. Those that come back in will be very tightly grouped requiring only a couple of sorts. The CIDR needs to be CLEANED after the first use and will not hurt the bred ones. You can feel the Cervical plug when inserting the CIDRs on some and I don't mess with them as they are bred. After about a 1000 or so I can tell alot about a tract when inserting CIDRs. Two heats AI and I only heat check 3 days wait 10 days turn in bull. This fall's purebred calves-- 32 1st heat --7 2nd heat --5 bull bred.

racekannon,

So you are saying that we can leave the CIDRs in after breeding and if she come back in heat, rebreed her? Will this work with implanting embryos also?

We give a GNRH and insert CIDR, pull CIDR and give Estrumate, time breed+GNRH, wait 14 days reinsert CIDR, 7 days pull CIDR and breed on heats. We always use Estrus Alert patches when we pull CIDRs the last time and sometimes even the first time using the more valuable semen on ones showing heat.

Maybe I'm missing something here but don't CIDR's contain progesterone and doesn't progesterone cause the cow to abort if they are pregnant?

It's my understanding that Reinserting the CIDR's will also help maintain a prganancy. I like the idea of reinserting to keep them grouped in case of a need for rebreed. I know a vet that swears by using his particular protocal, he consistantly gets 75-80%. Never tried because he's to secretive about it. i do know he's using the normal protocal but he gives an additional shot of something with the prostiglandin shot. He wont label it with the real name and boy he charges extra for it. Claims he has it compounded.

Latest posts