Stupid Cows???

Help Support CattleToday:

Black and Good

Reaction score
Went out to check on cows there was one of my Reg. Angus 4yr old cows, I could see she'd had a calf on the top of the pond dam right next to the slope that goes to the water. She was walking back and forth bawling and looking down at the water. I'm thinking KERPLOK splash. I couldn't see any sign of the calf. I won't be able mark it down as bull or heifer I guess it will ??? calf. I could tell she had already had it cause she had the red placenta hanging out. :( B&G

They certainly aren't good at choosing where to calf!, We find they particularly like to put their butt against something, or put the calf on the wrong side of the fence..

Sorry your cow's aren't that good :p It certainly is a lousy way to lose one

They go straight to the bottom but will eventually surface in a few weeks depending on the water temp. I had one that took about 2 months to surface, well preserved as it was middle of winter. At least I eventually found what happened to her calf.
Ken

Oh that's a bad deal B&G!! Why they have them in those places is a mystery! They can be such good mothers in so many ways, then they do something like that! :(
Such a senseless loss. :bang:

We had this happen this winter, she licked him straight out onto the frozen pond! Just by luck we happened to drive out to check on them and the quite a sight with me screaming get him get him, and then screaming god I hope the ice doesn't break! I would've be pulling him out of the frozen pond! So sorry, these cows sure do make some crazy choices no doubt!

Latest posts