Stirring the pot on the LH/corriente topic

Help Support CattleToday:

@Warren Allison Do you have a picture if these Brangs X Corriente calves?

I have seen Angus X before.
Don't have any to photograph right now. I sold all of the cows that were gonna calve in February this past Saturday. I will be buying back, but it will be next February before we get any calves.

The man Clay works for that has the feeding operation, feeds out about 1000 a year, He has about 400 mostly Corr cows that he breeds to his Brangus and buys 500-600 more that are 1/2 Fla Scrub or Pineywoods, and half Brangus. He supplies the bulls to some people in Fla, then buys their calves at weaning. The ones close to the road are the ones he is about to ship, but they are 900-1000 lbs or more. I could get pictures of them...his place is about 8 miles from me. These pics might even be better for you. Seems like you and some of the others are concerned about how they look and how they perform once they are older and on a feed lot. That way, you get to see the "end product", which is what most of the nay-sayers are most concerned with. Would those pics work for you?

I bought a longhorn heifer a few years ago, paid for her with her first calf.
Calf was out of a registered Angus bull, solid black, maybe a little white in the belly and he had scurs. Pretty decent looking calf, but I could tell he had the longhorn type in his background. He was more narrow and lighter volumed than the other all British breed calves.
No doubt the buyers if they paid attention could pick it out too.
Calf sold well for what it was and paid for the cow.
Honestly I don't see a problem with having a few of those kind of cows. If bought right. They could always be bred up to high percentage whatever breed bull one has by keeping the half blood heifers and breeding them the next generation will be 3/4 and so on. The original cows could be kept or sold.
Here calves are sorted out from a group and sold individually if they don't match up for whatever reason so it's not like they are likely going to be snuck in with a group.
Another option would be to find a few better quality cows that match up more with what you have.
We have a few oddballs too, currently have two Belted Galloways bought as cow/heifer calf pair 2 Jersey ( cow/ heifer calf pair )for nurse cows, and one Jersey cross, courtesy of neighbors Jersey bull.
Also have a Brahman x Longhorn,
No way to hide what any of them are.
The new black calf by the belted cow will likely be smaller framed and be docked.
The buyers know what they are doing and are not likely to get caught with a too bad of a deal.

Don't have any to photograph right now. I sold all of the cows that were gonna calve in February this past Saturday. I will be buying back, but it will be next February before we get any calves.

The man Clay works for that has the feeding operation, feeds out about 1000 a year, He has about 400 mostly Corr cows that he breeds to his Brangus and buys 500-600 more that are 1/2 Fla Scrub or Pineywoods, and half Brangus. He supplies the bulls to some people in Fla, then buys their calves at weaning. The ones close to the road are the ones he is about to ship, but they are 900-1000 lbs or more. I could get pictures of them...his place is about 8 miles from me. These pics might even be better for you. Seems like you and some of the others are concerned about how they look and how they perform once they are older and on a feed lot. That way, you get to see the "end product", which is what most of the nay-sayers are most concerned with. Would those pics work for you?
I don't care about the end product.

The ones I saw would never pass as quality black calves so I would like to see the difference between yours and those. It doesn't sound like the ones you are describing, that you can get the pic from the side of the road, are the same as what you had?

Calf was out of a registered Angus bull, solid black, maybe a little white in the belly and he had scurs. Pretty decent looking calf, but I could tell he had the longhorn type in his background. He was more narrow and lighter volumed than the other all British breed calves.
Honestly I don't see a problem with having a few of those kind of cows. If bought right. They could always be bred up to high percentage whatever breed bull one has by keeping the half blood heifers and breeding them the next generation will be 3/4 and so on. The original cows could be kept or sold.
Here calves are sorted out from a group and sold individually if they don't match up for whatever reason so it's not like they are likely going to be snuck in with a group.
Another option would be to find a few better quality cows that match up more with what you have.
We have a few oddballs too, currently have two Belted Galloways bought as cow/heifer calf pair 2 Jersey ( cow/ heifer calf pair )for nurse cows, and one Jersey cross, courtesy of neighbors Jersey bull.
The new black calf by the belted cow will likely be smaller framed and be docked.
The buyers know what they are doing and are not likely to get caught with a too bad of a deal.
If you keep her, I bet that Plummer will make a good cow for you. She will not have any problems calving, even bred to a non-CE big Simm bull. She will have plenty of milk, and will raise you a big calf. All the ones I have had were excellent mothers. Some, like an Angus, may be a little bit too good a mother the first week or so. Those 22 I have now had Chi-Angus calves on them when I bought them, and are bred back to the same bull for February calves. I don't have or have access to a Chi-Angus bull that I like, but Scott's brother has a registered SImm bull that is solid black except for a little spot of white on his forehead, If it were a horse you would call it a star. That's what I plan to breed them back to.

I have never retained any 1/2 Corr heifers, but I don't believe in retaining heifers even if they are registered stock. Everyone I know that fools with them does what I do: Sell them all at weaning. But that Lee feller...LVR... says he crossed Corrs with red Angus, and has bred back to where he now has cows that are 15/16ths red Angus.

I have never seen or heard tell of anyone who breeds Corrs to Angus, advertising their calves as pb Angus. Never have I heard anyone, when asked, say that the calves were anything but a Corr- Angus cross. Most people are proud of these calves, and want to tell people how they get them. Around here on sale day 9 out 10 trailers pulling up will be full of commercial angus calves, so nothing to impress people with by telling folks yours are too. People just assume they are. But if you tell them they are half Corr..or half "roping cows"... they will be like: "Wow! No sh*t?!! That's cool!! "

I can relate to your story about the half Jerseys. That's how I stumbled across this cross in the first place about 1990. I raised roping stock back then, and a neighbor's high dollar registered Black Angus escaped and got into a pasture where I had 20 Cor heifers. I guess he had been in there for a couple of weeks before I found him. I had heard about this bull getting loose, and everyone around including the owner, had figured he had been rustled. He was a good un...those 20 heifers all calved within 3 weeks of each other! I was pissed at first, but teampenning was taking off like wildfire back then. You want 30 identical looking cattle in each group for penning. and you want them polled. Criolo type cattle and Brahma type cattle can run, and they hold up well in competition , especially when it is hot. a neighbor that has an arena that they held penning practices and competitions in, saw them and bought them for what I would have gotten for roping steers.. about $550 back then. So, the next year I bred half of my Corrs to Angus. By the late 90;s team roping was waning and penning was on fire, so I would breed all the Corrs to Angus, and started contracting to provide cattle for pennings. Would use them about a year, until they got arena sour and the next crop was ready, then sell them. They brought a LOT more than roped out Corrs would. So that's the long and short on how I started this this venture.

Last edited:
I don't care about the end product.

The ones I saw would never pass as quality black calves so I would like to see the difference between yours and those. It doesn't sound like the ones you are describing, that you can get the pic from the side of the road, are the same as what you had?
About 35 to 40% of them will be Brangus x Corr, and 60 or 65% will be Brangus x Fla Scrub or Pineywoods. Basically the same. Neither Clay, Mike or I can tell what they are unless they are with their mothers. Fla Scrub ,Fla Cracker, and Pineywoods will average a little bigger than Corrs, but smaller than LHs. They all descended from the same cattle. Corrs being in Mexico, a hotter, dryer climate, tend to be the smallest. LHs were the first cattle in Montana, Wyoming etc, and they tend to be the biggest. The others, originating in Fla and other southern coastal regions ,like Alabama and Mississippi, evolved to have horns that are narrower and stick straight up. A LH with those 8' horn spreads, couldn't get away from the bears and panthers .in the pine and palmetto thickets that covered the state in the 17 and 18 hundreds. So the ones with the narrowest horns tended to survive longer to breed and have calves. I called Clay while ago, and asked if they kept the Fla calves separate from Mike's Corr calves, and he said no. They keep 24 lots, sorted by age and sex. A pen of steers and a pen of heifers to ship each month. They pick up the Fla calves at weaning once a month, but they won't have their own calves starting in a lot every month. They calve Jan- March, so they would be weaning them July, Aug and Sept. The July lots will probably already be shipped, but the Aug and Sept lots should be in the final pens close to the road. I will ask.

About 35 to 40% of them will be Brangus x Corr, and 60 or 65% will be Brangus x Fla Scrub or Pineywoods. Basically the same. Neither Clay, Mike or I can tell what they are unless they are with their mothers. Fla Scrub ,Fla Cracker, and Pineywoods will average a little bigger than Corrs, but smaller than LHs. They all descended from the same cattle. Corrs being in Mexico, a hotter, dryer climate, tend to be the smallest. LHs were the first cattle in Montana, Wyoming etc, and they tend to be the biggest. The others, originating in Fla and other southern coastal regions ,like Alabama and Mississippi, evolved to have horns that are narrower and stick straight up. A LH with those 8' horn spreads, couldn't get away from the bears and panthers .in the pine and palmetto thickets that covered the state in the 17 and 18 hundreds. So the ones with the narrowest horns tended to survive longer to breed and have calves. I called Clay while ago, and asked if they kept the Fla calves separate from Mike's Corr calves, and he said no. They keep 24 lots, sorted by age and sex. A pen of steers and a pen of heifers to ship each month. They pick up the Fla calves at weaning once a month, but they won't have their own calves starting in a lot every month. They calve Jan- March, so they would be weaning them July, Aug and Sept. The July lots will probably already be shipped, but the Aug and Sept lots should be in the final pens close to the road. I will ask.
Yes, the August ones are ready to ship after New Years, and are there across from the bunkhouse. He is waiting til after the holidays to ship them. The Sept ones are there at the cross road to the silage pits. Both of them should have some of Mike's Corrr calves in with them ,but I couldn't tell you which ones they are, nor could Mike. You know, some of Mike's cows are half LH and half Corr, left over from raising prize steers for the Booger Barter ropeings. I can't tell them from the others, either, after we wean them. He has that one that is colored up like a roan Shorthorn, but he doesn't use her calves in the program, because they will be black with white roan in them. Says it makes his bull look bad! I think they eat her calves every year.

Mike is back from NFR now, so if you see his truck there at the office, just stop in and tell him what you want to do. He will probably take you in the Ranger to the back pens with the younger calves. Take your Smartphone with you instead of a camera! I will show you how to send the pics to your Face Book, and from there you can post them on here with your computer.

Hoss, you need to settle down and think before you type. Are you seriously accusing me of deceiving somebody?!! How do you think I have deceived anyone? Like I posted on another thread, in 30 years of doing this 2 people have asked me at the sale what kinds of calves they were. .and I told them. They then asked what a Corriente was.. and I told them. And one other time someone at the unloading area asked me if they were half Corriente/half Angus. And I said no, they are half Corriente and half Brangus. So where have I been deceptive?!!!
Sounds to me like he is trying to call you a liar ,boss. Makes me want to take a trip to Texas! :ninja:

iam glad iam from a area were we have fast sells and people don't stand up and talk about there cattle. it would be like watching paint dry. I can't imagine setting in a sale for half a day listening to people ramble about there cattle.
Yep. About the only time you will see that around here is when people sell heifers and cows by the head, or registered bulls. It is expected that you speak up for those. But never selling weigh cattle.

With Fuel prices the way they are..I'd have to think about a trip that far ..

@BFE @StrojanHerefords

I have no problem with it as long as people are willing to stand up and put their name on their product. If there is no deception then a person should have no issue saying... I am "so and so" and I have these bred up LH or Corriente calves... then let the chips fall.

His whole premise from the get go has been a buyer can't tell my calves from the other black calves coming through. When Warren specifically says he won't allow the truth in his "game" and he purposely mentions they run by so fast the buyers can't tell... it shows that his "plan" does not work if the buyers know the truth. I do not know a better word to describe not wanting some one to know some thing to add value.

View attachment 38392

There is nothing wrong with raising Corriente or LH cattle if that is what you want... but don't come on here throwing words and money around saying it's the best way.
I have known this man my whole life. You won't find anyone more honest. You won't find any one more kind and giving and helpful to those less fortunate, either. But do something or try to do something to hurt him, and you will live to regret it. Hurt someone in his family, or a friend, or any woman or child, and most likely you won't.

Everything he has ever posted on here about the subject is the God's honest truth. Never have heard or seen him say Corr x Black is the best. What he says, is there is no kind of cows you can buy that can make more profit, than the Corriente x blacks. I agree with that 100%. I have seen it myself for 30 years. So, you wanna call me a liar, too, Skippy?

IMO it is about making money !!!
You already think that you can make money, so why not try it.
People's opinions are like azz holes everyone has one ....
They won't, and probably can't back up their big mouths with cash. Cause Skippy and Scooter both, are most likely just on line cowboys, sitting in their government housing, playing online all day with their "free" government phones.

I have known this man my whole life. You won't find anyone more honest. You won't find any one more kind and giving and helpful to those less fortunate, either. But do something or try to do something to hurt him, and you will live to regret it. Hurt someone in his family, or a friend, or any woman or child, and most likely you won't.

Everything he has ever posted on here about the subject is the God's honest truth. Never have heard or seen him say Corr x Black is the best. What he says, is there is no kind of cows you can buy that can make more profit, than the Corriente x blacks. I agree with that 100%. I have seen it myself for 30 years. So, you wanna call me a liar, too, Skippy?
Your threats got you a holiday one other time. Who will you come back as if banned for life?

I bought $1300 cows last year, raised $2100 calves out of them and canned the cows for $1800. My main herd of cows averaged a $900 profit across the board, why would I want to raise $700 calves?

This is exactly why I'd never buy anything from you, Warren. You're an entertaining guy and stack the **it better than most, but anybody that doesn't have the scruples to care about the product they sell or whom is hurt down the road isn't a "hand shake" kind of guy.
How the likes of you, Scooter, could dare to question this man's "scruples" is beyond me. It would be an honor you wouldn't deserve, if he'd let you lick the sh*t off his boots. From what I have seen from you on these forumns, I doubt anyone on here, and most certainly not Warren, would shake your hand on anything.

Your threats got you a holiday one other time. Who will you come back as if banned for life?
I have never been banned that I know of. Just get tired of seeing remarks from people like you and just sign out and read it as a guest. And log back on when I have something to say. First of all, who have I threatened? And what were they allegedly threatened with? And 2nd, what remarks have I directed at you?!! When and if I ever want your opinion on something (and I won't) I will ask you.

How about the prices on those corriente, can't argue with the profit potential for someone that has an audience as big as Greg.

Attachments

• IMG_3372.png
    IMG_3372.png
    255 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_3375.png
    IMG_3375.png
    365.2 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_3374.png
    IMG_3374.png
    342.8 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_3373.png
    IMG_3373.png