Stirring the pot on the LH/corriente topic

Help Support CattleToday:

You understand I will stand up and make sure every one knows what they are, right?
You'd have to be quick, to see what the numbers are as they tear through the ring. And if you did spot one, it would be sold before you had a chance to stand up and say anything. They will NOT let you do that when selling weigh cattle. They won't stop an auction's momentum to let you. They will on head cows, though. But according to the "experts" on here, that wouldnt be neccessary. All these professional buyers can tell at a glance, remember?

You understand I will stand up and make sure every one knows what they are, right?
LOL... Did you notice in his last post how he was going to sell his fifty calves in small lots so they are likely to go to private buyers instead of being bid on by the commercial boys as a single lot?

Starting to hedge his bets with some squirmy dodge and weave.

You'd have to be quick, to see what the numbers are as they tear through the ring. And if you did spot one, it would be sold before you had a chance to stand up and say anything. They will NOT let you do that when selling weigh cattle. They won't stop an auction's momentum to let you. They will on head cows, though. But according to the "experts" on here, that wouldnt be neccessary. All these professional buyers can tell at a glance, remember?
Are you willing to bet $100K on me not being able to get the word out before that sale?

I think you really need to stop and think before you talk. Some one just might take you up on it and you would be in a real big bind.

Last edited:
The problem I have with Corrientes is that it appears they can throw a calf that is hard to distinguish from a decent calf from a good cow that will grow and finish where the feedlots need them.

Those calves will sell at reasonable prices for good calves... but won't grow and mature at the size the good calves will and it will hurt the people that buy them.

Life is a competition, but as @Caustic Burno said... A man has to have some standards.
I find it interesting that US buyers can't tell the difference, the half blood pointy little ass is plain as day. Methinks it is likely the other way round and that the buyers are stealing the good calves for Corriente values.

I find it interesting that US buyers can't tell the difference, the half blood pointy little ass is plain as day. Methinks it is likely the other way round and that the buyers are stealing the good calves for Corriente values.
That's an interesting way of looking at it.

I took a walk around the local sale barn today and in one of the pens was a bunch of miniature polled black cows (I assume most people would call them Angus) about buckle tall... and what looked like a black Corriente bull. At first I thought they were just stocky, milk fat calves until I got close enough to see they were mature.

It is kind of odd how the very poor black animals tend to even get "the premium" that black hides bring. I can see some Cor crosses being good enough to fool a buyer in a fast ring, but your comment makes me wonder if that's all it is.

Aren't you required to have a brand on your cattle when you sell them or alternatively EID?

Ken
Here it is not required to have a brand but most do… Trust your neighbor but brand all your cattle!😊 EID tags too even though the feed ban started 25 years ago. The tags and sim removal are only a tax to pay more bureaucrats.
Well known here if calves of a certain brand don't perform at the lot they may bring close to the same next year but the order buyer will be sending them to a different customer.

Again, how can one not pick out the narrow head and narrow ass of a Southwestern Exotic?

That's an interesting way of looking at it.

I took a walk around the local sale barn today and in one of the pens was a bunch of miniature polled black cows (I assume most people would call them Angus) about buckle tall... and what looked like a black Corriente bull. At first I thought they were just stocky, milk fat calves until I got close enough to see they were mature.

It is kind of odd how the very poor black animals tend to even get "the premium" that black hides bring. I can see some Cor crosses being good enough to fool a buyer in a fast ring, but your comment makes me wonder if that's all it is.
Guessing those were Dexters.

Are you willing to bet $100K on me not being able to get the word out before that sale?

I think you really need to stop and think before you talk. Some one just might take you up on it and you would be in a real big bind.
Yeah I will bet, cause I would not allow it in the rules. It would defeat the whole purpose of me taking you to my $100,000 class. I think you are one of the ones popping off these last 3 years, about how "Buyers will spot them. You can't fool buyers." etc. But, the sale price is immaterial to the contest, and this whole debate in the thread. I don't care if mine bring half what yours do, I will have 3 times as many cows for the $100k as you will with your British, Continental, Brahma or various and sundry crosses of these 3. They will not do very well at getting bred, having calves unassisted, raising calves, or even surviving themselves for 18 mos ( a month to get them bred, 9 mos to carry a calf and 6 mos to raise it. on pasture only). No feed, no hay, no supplements, no vaccines, wormer, or meds of any kind. No vets. No fertilizer on the pastures. You can cut the bull calves and ear tag all the calves if you want, and load them on the trailer to carry to the sale when they are 6 mos old. And that is all the handling you can do. You tell me how many of your choice of cow you will buy with your $100k, double that amount, and that's how many acres the pasture sizes will be.

Yeah I will bet, cause I would not allow it in the rules. It would defeat the whole purpose of me taking you to my $100,000 class. I think you are one of the ones popping off these last 3 years, about how "Buyers will spot them. You can't fool buyers." etc. But, the sale price is immaterial to the contest, and this whole debate in the thread. I don't care if mine bring half what yours do, I will have 3 times as many cows for the $100k as you will with your British, Continental, Brahma or various and sundry crosses of these 3. They will not do very well at getting bred, having calves unassisted, raising calves, or even surviving themselves for 18 mos ( a month to get them bred, 9 mos to carry a calf and 6 mos to raise it. on pasture only). No feed, no hay, no supplements, no vaccines, wormer, or meds of any kind. No vets. No fertilizer on the pastures. You can cut the bull calves and ear tag all the calves if you want, and load them on the trailer to carry to the sale when they are 6 mos old. And that is all the handling you can do. You tell me how many of your choice of cow you will buy with your $100k, double that amount, and that's how many acres the pasture sizes will be.
Jeeze... I never thought I could get interested but under those rules I wish I was still in the business.

But I'd also insist on full disclosure to the buyers and you'd never do it because your entire house-of-cards is built on hiding that your product is half Corriente.

Oh, and you could pick the color of the bulls but I'd have to pick the bulls.

LOL... Did you notice in his last post how he was going to sell his fifty calves in small lots so they are likely to go to private buyers instead of being bid on by the commercial boys as a single lot?

Starting to hedge his bets with some squirmy dodge and weave.
Nope. No dodge and weave at all. There will be no small, large or any size lots at all. Where we will sell there are no "commercial boys" I said 50 because we usually have about that many steers and that many heifers as well, from the 100 to 120 cows each year. And any calves brought in are sold one at a time when selling by the pound, and mine, his, and everyone elses steers or heifers the same size range, are all sold from the same pen, and in no particular order. Only difference in when every calf there is sold, will be whether it is a heifer calf, or a steer/bull calf. Are you wanting to take me up on the challenge? Can you put your money where your mouth is? If so, then show me the money. If not then stay out of it.

Last edited:
Nope. No dodge and weave at all. There will be nop small, large or any six ze lots at all. Where we will sell there are no "commercial boys" I said 50 because we usually have about that many steers and that many heifers as well, from the 100 to 120 cows each year. And any calves brought in are sold one at a time when selling by the pound, and mine, his, and everyone elses steers or heifers the same size range, are all sold from the same pen, and in no particular order. Only difference in when every calf there is sold, will be whether it is a heifer calf, or a steer/bull calf. Are you wanting to take me up on the challenge? Can you put your money where your mouth is? If so, then show me the money. If not then stay out of it.
What... you think you get to dictate all the rules in your own favor? If you really wanted a fair and honest contest to show how great your ideas are then you'd put all your calves in the ring with commercial buyers at a big barn... and stand up proudly to tell them what they are.

I could come up with a contest I could win easily too if you wanted to put your money up with me making all the rules.

Nope. No dodge and weave at all. There will be nop small, large or any six ze lots at all. Where we will sell there are no "commercial boys" I said 50 because we usually have about that many steers and that many heifers as well, from the 100 to 120 cows each year. And any calves brought in are sold one at a time when selling by the pound, and mine, his, and everyone elses steers or heifers the same size range, are all sold from the same pen, and in no particular order. Only difference in when every calf there is sold, will be whether it is a heifer calf, or a steer/bull calf. Are you wanting to take me up on the challenge? Can you put your money where your mouth is? If so, then show me the money. If not then stay out of it.
No one is taking your bet because it's like playing "I win" with a 3yr old... and even if you win... you still only beat a 3yr old. 🤣

Last edited:
I wondered about that. Really thick cows, but maybe 40 inches tall and 800 pounds. Dwarf-like heads. I don't know much about them or minis. Never really interested. There was also a red-gold mini Highlander in with them. Young, not mature. Crappy looking.
Bingo! But we can't tell them apart because they are all black. Right?

Having a business based off deception to make a profit is not a long term plan. I dont say that from some kind of ethical or moral high ground, even though I wouldnt personally do it. It's from business and life experience that I know it eventually catches up to people. That is my only issue with the Corriente deal like Warren is describing.

Deception is not a long term business model.

If you can sell them for roping, or freezer beef or what ever, have at it.

Jeeze... I never thought I could get interested but under those rules I wish I was still in the business.
I wish you were too, cause I'd love to take your money. But, all you really need for this challenge, is $200k. You don't even need pastures. I will provide them.
But I'd also insist on full disclosure to the buyers and you'd never do it because your entire house-of-cards is built on hiding that your product is half Corriente.
I have never hid a damned thing. The THREE people that asked about them in 30 years, were told exactly what they were. I wish you could build a house out of cards that will stand for 30 years! And the whole purpose of this challenge, is to prove something to all the nay -sayers on here that have said that what I have done for 30 years can't be done. And especially all the "experts" like @gcreekrch with his "How can anyone not tell , with their narrow faces and hatchet-azzes, that they are half Southwest Exotics?" So, no, you don't tell anyone anything unless asked. Let's see how many buyers can tell. Or even care.
Oh, and you could pick the color of the bulls but I'd have to pick the bulls.
Definitely no. A huge part of our success is due to the quality bulls we have been using. There will be a good selection of registered Brangus bulls. You get first pick of all of them, one for each 20 cows you buy. I will even let you pick MY bulls out of the group.

If I buy these cows, I'm not doing it to intentionally deceive anyone. I look at it as a lower risk investment. Let's say I buy a cow for 400 and put a good bull on them, increase the cows value through improved genetics from the bull, sell the calf for 700 why is that dishonest? It's like the salvage business, adding value to something that's a little less desirable.

I talked to a friend today who's in the stocker business, has a few LH for pasture ornaments. He said you can tell the LH cross calves in the lot, but they're growing good. He's honest, and his opinion was to go for it. He and I realize they won't do quite as well as straight beef breeds but bought right they'll still make someone money. Same as buying cows. You can overpay for a cow quite easily. It's a lot harder to underpay.

Latest posts