Stirring the pot on the LH/corriente topic

Help Support CattleToday:

There is a vast difference between people that buy cattle for a living and someone going to the local sale to buy a few cattle. That is the good thing about an auction there is a buyer for anything that walks into the ring!
I agree with that 100%. There is no more accurate and true way to determine the worth of cows, horses, old cars, real estate, art....whatever...than true, absolute auction. The price of a widget, is the amount of money the owner wants to part ways with it, The value of a widget, is the amount of money another person is willing to give to aquire ownership. Whenever those 2 numbers coincide, you have a sale.

I do not want to judge, but I always felt bad when I had a calf bring more than I thought it was worth. I have sometimes informed the yard about a calf or bred cow that I was selling that looked good but might have problems, and they just sort of laughed and said, "It is not a game for boys".
A half Jersey, half Charolais I had, sold for top steer price. I had not said a word. I told one of the yard owners who is a close friend afterwards and he said."Whew, they will not like that". Another black steer was small for his age, a borderline or full lunger, that looked pretty good on a cool sale day.
I said nothing and he sold real well. I felt bad about it. Sometimes I speak up and they bring more than i thought they would anyway.
I kind of balance the times I do not speak up with the times I have bought other people's problems. That is probably not ethical either.

I think my reputation is pretty good. Often the auctioneer has let me know with a wink or a nod to stop bidding, that is not something you want. I remain a little naive well into my older years.
I agree, I don't want to pass along a problem cow or bull. If there's an issue with fertility I'll let them know, I don't like to buy duds myself.

How often have we all gotten less at the barn than what something was worth? I've been told every excuse in the book. Your men were right, it's not a game for boys or the faint hearted. Heck I'm not sure I have any business playing the game about half the time. It's a risk no matter how you look at it.

I agree, I don't want to pass along a problem cow or bull. If there's an issue with fertility I'll let them know, I don't like to buy duds myself.

How often have we all gotten less at the barn than what something was worth? I've been told every excuse in the book. Your men were right, it's not a game for boys or the faint hearted. Heck I'm not sure I have any business playing the game about half the time. It's a risk no matter how you look at it.
And at the same time it's a money maker if you play the game well. It's just like poker.

@BFE , you are right...you are about to stir the pot with this thread!!! LOL But I will challenge any of the nay-sayers on here...with the same challenge I have offered to others before. (No takers yet, in 30 years I might add.) Here is is: You get up $200,000. and I will too. We each put $100,000 in a kitty...winner take all. I buy $100,00 worth of Corr cows. They buy $100,00 worth of commercial British, Continental, Brahma, or any various crosses of those kind of cattle. We each take a pasture the same size. They can not feed, hay, worm, vaccinate, fertilize the pasture, feed or supplement their cows, and neither will I. Neither of us can spend another dime's worth of inputs over the initial purchase price of the cows. No vets, no meds, no assisting in calving. We use the exact same black, polled bulls. At the end of the year ,the one who makes the most off their calf crop gets
... and we are both going to walk in to the same AB, on the same day, same time, etc and sell them side by side, correct? 😏

Looks like all you would need to do is just let the word get out these are Warren's calves about to sell and you could win the bet easily.

Just kidding, but not entirely.
Doesn't anyone value reputation? Where I sell my name is on the board when the calves are in the ring.
Works good when you have it. Not all barns are set up to do it that way. Does your barn show the buyer on your receipt.

How many people selling feeders could separate by USDA grades? Kenny T could be the exception.:cool:

The problem I have with Corrientes is that it appears they can throw a calf that is hard to distinguish from a decent calf from a good cow that will grow and finish where the feedlots need them.

Those calves will sell at reasonable prices for good calves... but won't grow and mature at the size the good calves will and it will hurt the people that buy them.

Life is a competition, but as @Caustic Burno said... A man has to have some standards.
We have all hauled a cull or inferior cow to the barn that should go in Wolf Brand Chili.

You're dead on back forty cattle hurt us all.

... and we are both going to walk in to the same AB, on the same day, same time, etc and sell them side by side, correct? 😏
Yes. Only fair way to do it.. Same sale on the same day. Same with the pastures...they'd need to be close to each other so that both herds get the same weather, rain , etc.

Just to make it all above board, let's stipulate that the buyer knows what he's buying.
You mean buyerS, plural. When I carry 50 steers to the sale, there can be any where from 20 or less, to 40 or more people thatt buy them. Everyone at the auction that day that wants to see them during their 1-2 seconds in the ring, are welcome to look. Their weights will be displayed, and the auctioneer will call steer or heifer as each come through.