STILL NO CALF -I think I gotta give up...?

Help Support CattleToday:

heritagefarmer

Reaction score
We bought a supposedly bred cow last summer with her 2005 calf at foot.

We are now at day 291 from her last possible shag and no calf, or outward signs. Although I'm working away and haven't seen her for a month, hubby and our neighbour are convinced there's something in there, and we never saw her in heat all last year.

Is it time to give up?

She's a Beltie :oops:

heritagefarmer":yd84zfaf said:
We bought a supposedly bred cow last summer with her 2005 calf at foot.

We are now at day 291 from her last possible shag and no calf, or outward signs. Although I'm working away and haven't seen her for a month, hubby and our neighbour are convinced there's something in there, and we never saw her in heat all last year.

Is it time to give up?

She's a Beltie :oops:
Come on you guys, I know you're reading it, give a rookie a break! What's the longest any of you had?
SHOULD I GIVE UP??

I can't answer that question as I have not seen the cow. Gestation is usually listed as 283 days, but can vary 2 weeks in either direction. The length of gestation also varies from breed to breed (and within breeds), but I don't know how much of a variation that is. I also don't know the first thing about Belted Galloways. There is also the factor that some cows simply don't show signs of imminent calving - they just calve. If you're that concerned, might want to think about having your vet palpate her. Just my thoughts.

Well, you could have a vet preg-check her just to confirm what you suspect...if you bought her locally, you could contact the seller to see if he'll rebreed her for you or exchange her...I'm sure that others here will have some other suggestions.

Thanks, but that is not an option as we bought her from Ontario, quite a few miles away.... that's the trouble with rare breeds.
On the vet issue, we keep thinking, why call the vet when she's either going to drop it in the next week, or she's not....
and so we keep on waiting.
Wouldn't re-breed till June anyway, so we may as well hang in there.
:help:

Love the web site Gale!

Thank you. My husband is responsible for ours but there's a lot on there I'd like to change and I am clueless on doing that! I looked at yours and think you've done a great job. Never heard of Newfoundland Ponies before. Gorgeous scenery up there, wow!

What will you do if she's not pregnant? You have just the two, right? AI might be the answer.

Gale Seddon":2i2k73um said:
Thank you. My husband is responsible for ours but there's a lot on there I'd like to change and I am clueless on doing that! I looked at yours and think you've done a great job. Never heard of Newfoundland Ponies before. Gorgeous scenery up there, wow!

What will you do if she's not pregnant? You have just the two, right? AI might be the answer.

Newfie ponies are very rare- only 200 official breeding females ON THE PLANET. yes, we only have two Belties, we only started last year, they're rare too, but not a rare as the ponies.
We've already located semen for this year, hard part will be catching them in heat, if last year is anything to go by, we completely missed every one. We assumed she was in calf.

Never assume eh?

PEI is the jewel in Canada's crown for sure

heritagefarmer":2nbwihgy said:
Thanks, but that is not an option as we bought her from Ontario, quite a few miles away.... that's the trouble with rare breeds.
On the vet issue, we keep thinking, why call the vet when she's either going to drop it in the next week, or she's not....
and so we keep on waiting.
Wouldn't re-breed till June anyway, so we may as well hang in there.

Love the web site Gale!

I figure you should call the vet - get her preg checked and at the same time find out if she is a breeder.

Bez!

Hard to have an opinion without seeing her, but if you wouldnt breed until June, just leave her alone and if she hasnt calved by then, bring in a vet to see if she will breed again or if she is done

Shes a breeder alright, she had calf last year, and she's only 4yrs old.
Figure she must have slipped in transport,
But she's huge, and we didn't notice heat all last summer

heritagefarmer":1piua6rn said:
Shes a breeder alright, she had calf last year, and she's only 4yrs old.
Figure she must have slipped in transport,
But she's huge, and we didn't notice heat all last summer

If you cannot palp her yourself and you are worried - I still say call the veterinarian.

Just because she had a calf last year does not mean she can have one this year.

Just because she is huge does not mean she is bred either.

Any chance you were given the wrong due dayes on her? How long has she been in YOUR possession?

Bez!

she was shipped to us in 30th May, so that was her last possible service date, she's a week over now. neighbour is coming tomorrow for a look
What is the vet going to except confirm that she isn't?
Time will do that

heritagefarmer":nnc277tk said:
she was shipped to us in 30th May, so that was her last possible service date, she's a week over now. neighbour is coming tomorrow for a look
Time will do that

Well if she is NOT bred, he may also be able to tell you why.

I am sorry if you believe I have intruded.

Bez!

Bez!":or0m4d3b said:
heritagefarmer":or0m4d3b said:
Time will do that

Well if she is NOT bred, he may also be able to tell you why.

I am sorry if you believe I have intruded.

Bez!

Intruded?
not at all!
why would I think that?
I'm just wondering why do the vet thing when she's not showing any signs yet?
I think she may have just slipped in transport if she was bred at all.

heritagefarmer":2jb6qrk2 said:

Well, for a bunch of reasons. What if she has a uterine infection and won't breed until you get it cleared up? What if its gone on for a length of time so that it can't be cleared up and she will never breed? If she's not bred, why not? Is there anything wrong that would cause her not to settle upon exposure to a bull?

I have one out here that I'm asking the same questions about. If she calved last year, how come she hasn't come in heat since she had that calf? I mean, it was a big calf, and she was a first calf heifer, but 2 Lute shots, CIDR, and still no heat cycle. Pulled calf, no heat cycle for almost a month after he was weaned, and even that was not a hot one. Has not been back in heat since. Should I assume she was bred and safely in calf, or should I have her ultrasounded to see if that one little breeding took? She is my favorite and had the top weaning calf last year. Not to mention that my space out here is limited, and I don't have the room to keep a non-producing cow out here, no matter how much of a favorite she is. I'd rather know if she is or is not bred, and if she isn't, why she hasn't settled. If there is a problem, I'd rather fix it now before it becomes unfixable in the future, or know for sure that she has settled, is healthy and sleep at night.

I may be a worry wart, but if I was breeding something as rare and wonderful as Belties, I would err on the side of caution and want to know for sure. Too many things can go wrong, and its not like you can go to the sale barn and pick up a replacement if something is wrong with her. But then again, thousands of cows get bred and have live healthy calves each year......

TR":24h5hmv8 said:
heritagefarmer":24h5hmv8 said:

Well, for a bunch of reasons. What if she has a uterine infection and won't breed until you get it cleared up? What if its gone on for a length of time so that it can't be cleared up and she will never breed? If she's not bred, why not? Is there anything wrong that would cause her not to settle upon exposure to a bull?

I have one out here that I'm asking the same questions about. If she calved last year, how come she hasn't come in heat since she had that calf? I mean, it was a big calf, and she was a first calf heifer, but 2 Lute shots, CIDR, and still no heat cycle. Pulled calf, no heat cycle for almost a month after he was weaned, and even that was not a hot one. Has not been back in heat since. Should I assume she was bred and safely in calf, or should I have her ultrasounded to see if that one little breeding took? She is my favorite and had the top weaning calf last year. Not to mention that my space out here is limited, and I don't have the room to keep a non-producing cow out here, no matter how much of a favorite she is. I'd rather know if she is or is not bred, and if she isn't, why she hasn't settled. If there is a problem, I'd rather fix it now before it becomes unfixable in the future, or know for sure that she has settled, is healthy and sleep at night.

I may be a worry wart, but if I was breeding something as rare and wonderful as Belties, I would err on the side of caution and want to know for sure. Too many things can go wrong, and its not like you can go to the sale barn and pick up a replacement if something is wrong with her. But then again, thousands of cows get bred and have live healthy calves each year......

Belted Galloways rare?

They may not be as popular as herfs or angus - but i would not call them rare. A couple of decent herds within 5 miles of me - and a few more in Alberta. Lots of Beltie associations and groups all through Canada and the U.S. of A.

I certainly would call them unique though.

HeritageFarmer - if you are a native spud islander this will mean something to you.

I am not "from away". Please keep the meaning under your hat if you know it - just twixt us. 8)

Bez!

Not to argue the point, but the Am. Livestock Breeds Conservancy considers them "rare" but under the "Watch" category:

"Watch: Fewer than 2500 annual registrations in the United States and estimated fewer than 10,000 global population. Also included are breeds with genetic or numerical concerns or limited geographic distribution."

There's a herd not far from us that I see everyday on my way to work...on the coldest mornings (nothing like WAY up north, but cold for here), they look quite content...roly-poly calves with white belts, really nice to see. But I have also seen others in this area that really seem to pay for it in the heat of summer. Friend of mine had a beltie steer for their freezer (must have had a BIG freezer!).

Had the vet in today, she said there are no cysts, but there are a couple of polyps. (Not sure what the difference is, and Carl is useless with big words!)
He never asked any questions at all!
Anyhoo, she's had a shot and vet said she should come in heat in a day or and we will know when she does.
Hope this fixes her..

Any advice on polyps???

PS They are officially 'rare' in Canada, less than 25 registered last year.. :(

heritagefarmer":3agq7d8p said:
Had the vet in today, she said there are no cysts, but there are a couple of polyps. (Not sure what the difference is, and Carl is useless with big words!)
He never asked any questions at all!
Anyhoo, she's had a shot and vet said she should come in heat in a day or and we will know when she does.
Hope this fixes her..

Any advice on polyps???

PS They are officially 'rare' in Canada, less than 25 registered last year.. :(

So? we are certain she is Not bred now or what???

Latest posts