Squeeze Chute

Help Support CattleToday:

ChrisB

Reaction score
This is may be a dumb question but...

I currently only have a headgate for working cattle. It works fine but some animals move around a lot - back and forth, down on knees, etc. and it slows things down. So I am finally thinking of getting a squeeze chute. I am curious if castrating is usually done while the animal is "squeezed"? Am I wrong in thinking that it reduces the amount of room to work from the back since the legs would be together? Or do people release the squeeze for castrating?

Castrating usually isn't a problem as I usually have someone hold their tail over the back of the calf. But last fall I was helping a friend work his freshly weaned calves; he had the tail and as soon as I grabbed the sack I got a hoof right in my chest. We both just looked at each other and my friend said "I thought they weren't able to do that with their tail held over their back?" I said "That's what I thought." and we just chalked it up to a freak occurance. Well, next bull calf in - same thing. They were the only 2 of about hundreds that have done that but it sure makes a guy nervous every time he gets behind a calf. Was the tail not being held correctly?

Thanks

We do not squeeze ours. We have somebody step in beside the calf and push it to one side and hold the tail. Guy behind then has the full width of the chute to work in. I've seen them kick when only tailed a few times as well. Most don't but it does happen.

What age/size animal are we talking here :?:

I prefer doing castration as calves <<400 lbs. IMO a calf table is designed for calves, and works better for castration because you stand beside rather than behind. Very slim chance of injury to you or the calf if you have someone secure the upper leg with short length of rope :idea:

I am behind the animal while banding or pinching, so I need the shoulder room and only squeeze a certain amount. I do most of that work by myself, so no tail holding here. Only a pole behind them and stand or sit very close to the animal. Kicks don't hurt as much when they don't have full extension.

Yeah just bring the sides in against it, but not squeezed. Just dont want it dancing side to side, but still need room to work.

If you buy one stay away from the Tractor Supply one... There is a thread on one right now.

If you chute allows complete movement of one side to narrow down the chute you can adjust it to where it is wider at the back than the front. This give you room to to get in behind the calf but keeps the calf in a tighter area. It also gives you a bit more room to spread the calf's legs. Saying all that, if I have someone to hold the tail, I lean in through an opening to band my calves. Much safer and cleaner. The inside of the chute gets pretty nasty after 30 or 40 head.

Thanks for the replies.

I am leaning toward a For-Most 450 with the manual head gate. I am getting the neck extensions and the head sweep on the headgate. What is your opinion of brisket bars? Will the head sweep keep them from going on their knees and the brisket bar is not really needed? Does the brisket bar cause them to balk and flowing through?

Brisket bar. Thought we would not like it, but now love it after we ran them through a time or to. I'll pitch the arrow 8500 chute

Latest posts