Spreadsheets for records?

Help Support CattleToday:

tom4018

Dumb Old Farmer
Reaction score
Does anyone know of some spredsheets available for keeping cattle records? I have made my own but would like to see some other options. Any suggestions would be welcome.

I've heard the software "Excel" is a good spreadsheet program. Also, we have Microsoft Works that is part of our "loaded" program package that came with Windows XP.

Our records are done "pen and ink" using an accounting pad. The figures are manually added up and posted as summary figures. Don't use any of the accounting software since I've found it is easier, quicker, and faster to do a manual system (easier to "erase" a wrong entry than go thru all the hoops on a software program to correct or delete a wrong entry). I enter our daily data on the spreadsheet on monthly basis.

Finally for maintaining our records on our Longhorn Herd, we use "LonghornMax2" software (by "CattleMax"). Great program. They also have a version for "regular" breeds of cattle.

I use Access. I am having to rebuild it at this time. That will teach me to not back things up as I go. :oops:

Tod Dague":881kbtyi said:
I am having to rebuild it at this time. That will teach me to not back things up as I go. :oops:

No it won't. Eventually you'll start to get complacent and have another problem bite you. It's human nature. Even those that work or have worked in the computer industry for years still get lazy about backing things up.

dun

Is the one that D.R. has one that he made himself? Would D.R. mind sharing any info on how he has it laid out? Thanks.

I have one I use on Microsoft Works for keeping the records on a dairy herd; lists tag numbers, days bred at preg check, dates dried & calved, dates of last calf, notes, - real simple - you could modify it as needed. I'd be willing to post it and show you, but I have absolutely no clue how. :lol: I can handle posting pics, but spreadsheets is a bit out of my realm. If anyone would be willing to give me some information on that I'll give it a try.

dun":1iamdbwl said:
Tod Dague":1iamdbwl said:
I am having to rebuild it at this time. That will teach me to not back things up as I go. :oops:

No it won't. Eventually you'll start to get complacent and have another problem bite you. It's human nature. Even those that work or have worked in the computer industry for years still get lazy about backing things up.

dun
;-) You're probably right.

my spreadsheet is not for actually keeping records. it's really more of a planning/business tool. But I'd be glad to share it. or anyone else on the boards that already has it feel free to share it.

dun":2l92n8ox said:
I haven't looked layely, but U of OK used to have one.

http://www.ansi.okstate.edu/software/

:shock: Bite your tongue. The university of oklahoma doesn't know squat about cattle records. All they now is doctors, lawyers, and football. I think you meant Oklahoma State University. That University knows cattle, wheat, vet med and Basketball.

I meant that more as a joke than flame. Forgot to put the happy face at the end.

Subsoil":3o7aqg65 said:
I meant that more as a joke than flame. Forgot to put the happy face at the end.

I didn't take it as one anyway. To me all universitys are the sae the only thing that changes is the state
Obiously it's pretty clear that I never finished highschool so stuff like that wasn't a concern.

dun

Sometime this year we purchase a program called Cattlemax by Cattlesoft. I thought that it would be dificult to use but it has cut our record keeping and animal finding by atleast 70%. It keeps tags, medical records, location of each animal, calving history etc. I highly recomend it. This years tax records were a breeze as well due to this program. Hope this helps. It is well worth the money and the customer service can not be beat!!
Best of luck! :)

I use Excel. I have made a program with it that serves my needs. I enter each animal. price, color, ear tag, breeding date, birthdate, medications, feed, hay, notes, selling price, selling weight, etc.. I also enter all purchases in different sheets, All of this is linked to another sheet that returns data on each animal as well as taxable info for tax time. It returns exp. calving date, money invested in each animal, feed per head, feed per herd, hay per herd, days on farm for each animal, supplies per herd, rate of gain, etc... Excel will do the things I need. You just have to right the formulas to make it work. The biggest reason I do it is the bottom line. How much did each animal make for me.? You just have to configure it to suit your needs.

i would like to be added to D.R.'s spreadsheet listserve. thanks. beefy

http://www.jacesoft.com/

I saw this on a bucking bull forum. I downloaded the demo but haven't installed it yet. From looking at the screenshots it looks pretty good though. I use excel to keep up with everything but this thing looks pretty good.

Josh

Latest posts