Spray am. Noon or pm?

Help Support CattleToday:

Bigfoot

Reaction score
I like to spray the last couple hours of day light. I always figured there would be less evaporation, and the stomata would be open. Can't find any research to back up my hypothesis. I can find research to say that the heat of the day, is the optimum time. Seems wrong to me, but oh well. What time of day you guys spray.

I agree TT. You want to wait till the dew dries before spraying. We sprayed a land lot Saturday morning and we sat and twiddled our thumbs till the dew dried then we went at it. You want the water carrier to hit the leaf then dry leaving the herbicide to do its job. If you are spraying heavy brush you need to add more water and apply to just the point of runoff. If there is dew on the foliage then this messes all that up and you don't get good coverage and a patchy kill.

On the other hand, you don't want to spray if the weeds are in the heat of the day and wilting. Late in the day is fine but you need to watch the dew formation because this can mess you up.

I'm going to switch to mornings after the dew is off. These herbecides are too expensive to spray at a less than optimal time.

I like mornings because there seems to be less wind and its cooler and less chance of it walking on you.

Bigfoot":g13gh2gb said:
These herbecides are too expensive to spray at a less than optimal time.

You can say that again. By lunch our bill for spraying was a tad over $23,000 and don't think I wasn't praying a stray cloud didn't show up and wet it all down.

Jogeephus":2mc9dy74 said:
I like mornings because there seems to be less wind and its cooler and less chance of it walking on you.

Bigfoot":2mc9dy74 said:
These herbecides are too expensive to spray at a less than optimal time.

You can say that again. By lunch our bill for spraying was a tad over $23,000 and don't think I wasn't praying a stray cloud didn't show up and wet it all down.
What were you spraying, gold? :lol2:

Jo not disputing your word On it Cause you spray a lot , But I had to look it up and see If the old man that told me what I posted was just pulling my leg or not and It seems to have some merit like I said It has worked for me. The dew Im speaking of is not a Dripping type dew.
"One of the evils of glyphosate -- at least from the standpoint of weeds -- is that it is most effective on weeds that are happy and growing quickly. The phloem is active and respiration is complete, both of which allow the herbicide to work more effectively. Weeds tend to be happy in the morning, just before the dew on their leaves has evaporated under the morning sun, and this can be a good time to spray them. There is no conclusive evidence that dew either inhibits or enhances the effect of the glyphosate in Roundup."
http://homeguides.sfgate.com/can-use-ro ... 92766.html

I have always heard the same as M-5. You are spraying water so what is a little already on the plant going to hurt. I was told by the gurus from A & M that the morning is best, dew or no dew especially in dry conditions. The plants spores (phloem) are open and it is receptive to all the moisture it can get. The spores start to close as it heats up to conserve the moisture it has taken up.

I do know when I have the right conditions to spray, I start at first light and go all day unless the wind picks up. You can tell a difference in the morning application versus the afternoon as far as results go. Not a lot, but some.

M-5":xyds4b9w said:
Jo not disputing your word On it Cause you spray a lot , But I had to look it up and see If the old man that told me what I posted was just pulling my leg or not and It seems to have some merit like I said It has worked for me. The dew Im speaking of is not a Dripping type dew.
"One of the evils of glyphosate -- at least from the standpoint of weeds -- is that it is most effective on weeds that are happy and growing quickly. The phloem is active and respiration is complete, both of which allow the herbicide to work more effectively. Weeds tend to be happy in the morning, just before the dew on their leaves has evaporated under the morning sun, and this can be a good time to spray them. There is no conclusive evidence that dew either inhibits or enhances the effect of the glyphosate in Roundup."
I tend to follow this rule as well.... herbicides will ALWAYS work best when the plant is in the "Pushing" (or fast growth) state. This is the state where the plant is most susceptible to anything... For us, mornings seem to be the only time that we can beat the wind. It doesn't take much of a breeze to effect things around where you are spraying (especially when you are using 2-4D in the mix).

One year I sprayed 10 acres in the morning, took a break then sprayed again after lunch, took a break and sprayed again in the evening. The mroning spray seemed to have killed the best, the evening not so well but it wtill at least made them sick. The afternoon I should have saved the diesel and chemicals.

I trust the think tank here, more than Universirty research, but I found a couple of land grant universities promoting spraying in the heat of the day. Most of what I spray ranges from $4-$15 an acre. It won't break the bank, but my time is so valuable I don't want waste it. I'm going with yaws recommendations.

Bigfoot":299mkgcx said:
I trust the think tank here, more than Universirty research, but I found a couple of land grant universities promoting spraying in the heat of the day. Most of what I spray ranges from $4-$15 an acre. It won't break the bank, but my time is so valuable I don't want waste it. I'm going with yaws recommendations.

I've seen some articles of the same research but don't buy it and usually spray as early as I can. It would be hard for me to spray from the middle of the day until almost dark and avoid wind drift anyway.

M-5":37h3zfwe said:

What you are quoting is right. Herbicides work best when the plant is actively growing. Not disputing that one bit. But you left out this piece of information is in your article that I think is extremely important if you are watching your spraying costs.

Water can also dilute the concentration of glyphosate in the product to the point of ineffectuality. If runoff isn't a problem, you can counter both dilution and hard water by either spraying more of the product or by using a different product that has a higher concentration of glyphosate.

Increasing the rate is not an option for me as I have to watch my costs or lose my shirt. This may not be important to you so it may not matter.

There are times when you will get a better kill with wet leaves and this is when you are using a soil activated herbicide and not a contact herbicide like roundnup. With a contact chemical you want to use as little water as possible to get the coverage on the leaf and for the water to dry leaving the herbicide on the leaf. This is the purpose of wetting agents and surfactants. If you've ever seen two drops of water pull each together with the hydrogen bond then its only reasonable you wouldn't want to add extra water to the equation.

Yep--I like mid morning after almost all the dew is gone--and as usual--Jo is correct. While it is true we're usually all spraying with a water based mixture, to me, there is no benefit to spraying already wet foliage. The leaf is already covered with a film of water (dew) so anything we apply to that leaf is not going to displace the water already on the leaf--it's just going to be excess that is going to run off.
We all know plants take in moisture and nutrients from the ground via the roots, but they also take in moisture from the air--and from dew. Relative humidity plays a big role when we are spraying. Hot hours of the day with low humidity results in a portion of our spray evaporating in mid-air and even more evaporating as it sits on the leaves.
Mid morning, when the dew is mostly gone, (some dew will still be present on the underside of the foliage) but while there is still enough humidity in the air to lower the evaporation rate is preferable to either mid or late afternoon when the sun is blazing and the night time and early morning humidity is long gone. Spray right after the dew is gone and the leaf will begin absorbing the herbicide laced droplets right away.
:2cents:

Latest posts