spent thanksgiving vacation building new pens...

Help Support CattleToday:

Aaron":av1q9f8j said:
You been a busy boy. Looks good. What is the length of the guardrail?

the long ones are 26 ft and the short are 13...did it in 4 days..i should've took some before pics cuz man what we had was a real mess..once a cpl cows bailed over the top I told the wife that aint gonna happen again.those are 10 ft posts 4 ft in the ground...soon as they settle im gonna dig out round the top and do concrete..

glad yall can see the pics..didn't wanna post em all on here tearin up bandwidth and loading issues.

my son is 8..he ran all the holes and helped lift em with the loader while we lined em up..couldn't have done it w/o him

was his vacation too and he really took on the challenge and helped out. hes so awesome

Good job and looks heavy duty. Are most Beefmaster cows wild and crazy? I just bought 3 pair and they are the calmest cows and calves that I have.

nah theyre easy..we got a cpl comms mixed intho that get the rest of em goin..out of 20 weo got 3 non beefmnasters..if they didn't bring so much to the table theyd be gone...

it really was time to step up out game. getting kinda big for me and the wife so we needed some extra security doing the bizness..

That guardrail should last just about forever. It's made for 75" post spacing, so the shorter ones span 12'6" with a 12-1/2" lap, and the longer ones span 25'. Of course for cattle pens the posts don't need to be that close together. Cattle won't put quite as much load on it as a full sized pickup at 70 mph.

Anyway, that's just a little bit of very nearly useless trivia, but since we test the stuff at my real job it's actually something I know a little bit about. That doesn't happen very often.

denvermartinfarms":2vci5wzl said:
Pens look fine, but what I really like is your cattle.

thanks both of ya...the cattle thing is like all of em...work in progress...

I sure hope those pens last forever..im over all that work. I just put posts at the end. even on the long ones a lot of internet sites that sell and install said we didn't need it in the middle. easy to add one if need be but I doubt it

might I offer a suggestion being that I built some pens out of guard rail before. I would add a board between the rails, it does not have to be much but a calf will get their head between them and run down the rail and have seen it make some pretty nasty cuts.

M5farm":2jnk00ps said:
might I offer a suggestion being that I built some pens out of guard rail before. I would add a board between the rails, it does not have to be much but a calf will get their head between them and run down the rail and have seen it make some pretty nasty cuts.

funny you should mention that

one of my local buddies came by and said I shouldve only made the btm gap 6 inches and the top 10..right now its 8 and 12. it could easily be lowered 2''. id do that rather than add a board I think. he said almost what you did word for word.
ive got 8 calfs to work thru so ill try It and see what happens...

hook I got it from my neighbor that works for the road crew. im still trying to get him to get more. everyone wants it round here

dieselbeef":36du2nqi said:
M5farm":36du2nqi said:

funny you should mention that

one of my local buddies came by and said I shouldve only made the btm gap 6 inches and the top 10..right now its 8 and 12. it could easily be lowered 2''. id do that rather than add a board I think. he said almost what you did word for word.
ive got 8 calfs to work thru so ill try It and see what happens...

hook I got it from my neighbor that works for the road crew. im still trying to get him to get more. everyone wants it round here

I would hate for you to have some calves skint up. We always used 4 rails about 6" apart on bottom 2 and 10 on top 2. another tip is make sure you have your escape route planned cause you tend to step on the outside of the rail when climbing out of a pen. the way it protrudes is misleading and you miss the gap and with cow shyt on your boots it can get ugly.

ill try em for now and see...vacations over...if I need to lower em its no sweat..lag bolts come out...even if I lose 4 inches at the top it will still be over 5 1/2 feet.

hook im workin on it..now that I have used it I like it..far as installin It goes..but its some heavy stuff

Latest posts