Speaking of a touch of ear...

Help Support CattleToday:

Was at the local sale barn back in the 70's I guess when the Brahma craze hit in our area . They were shipping in truck loads of purebred heifers from Florida and selling them by lots of 10 best I remember. They would let a group in the sale ring and they were bouncing off the sides of the ring like popcorn popping . Always wondered if the buyers kept them in their pastures when they turned them lose on their farms .

Was at the local sale barn back in the 70's I guess when the Brahma craze hit in our area . They were shipping in truck loads of purebred heifers from Florida and selling them by lots of 10 best I remember. They would let a group in the sale ring and they were bouncing off the sides of the ring like popcorn popping . Always wondered if the buyers kept them in their pastures when they turned them lose on their farms .
Bet some of them came out of the swamps..farmers here probably had a lot of trouble dealing with them at first..after being used to dealing with redpoll and Hereford..when I bought Mine and unloaded them right off the main road..some folks thought they were camels

Our craze started a little earlier,
Shanghai Pierce in the 1800's.

Yep. And around here in the 70's they let them use 110v hot shots,. too. Seen a few cattle killed with them...and not just "crazy " Brahmas.

So how they gettin along?
Gettin along well. I divided them up into two groups. Putting them with my gentle cows has helped calm them down more. Course, by the time i moved em, they calmed enough where i was comfortable moving them. They all come to the feedbunk so catching them in the future will be possible. Get them bred then I'll probably sell about half of em next spring. Here's a few pictures of course.
This RWF is almost too gentle.haha pays no attention to hotwire and likes going thru the gate wen im driving thru. Penned her up to train her to hotwire, hopefully it works.
0817222022_HDR.jpg
0813221619a_HDR.jpg0813221749a_HDR.jpg
0814222013_HDR.jpg
0810221833c_HDR.jpg0808220634a_HDR.jpg
The last picture i was pulling a trailer. I thought for sure they see it and take off into the brush and i wouldnt see em for a month. But they just stood n watched as i loaded a couple other cows.

F1 Brafords would be my favorite momma cow if they weren't so finicky. Put a black angus bull or big charolais on them and they raise some moneymakers in tough conditions on the cheap. But the one I have in my herd still hasn't let me get within 50 yards, even while cubing them. Don't think she's gonna gentle down much more. We'll see.

We sexed them female, first one is bull🤬that's life though
When I went to AI class and they gave the stats, by the time you factored in percentage that take and percentage actually female, you had no better odds with sexed semin than natural service. It was pretty disappointing.

I went to the AI class to learn how because I wanted to do the same thing. All I learned was I was better off buying bulls. I give them credit for being honest with the stats.

Latest posts