Southern US cold snap?

Help Support CattleToday:

I just left Ocala yesterday, don't know what the weather will be this week but it wasn't normal balmy weather there. If you go through Ocala stop at the World Equestrian Center. It's the most beautiful horse facility I've ever seen. The main arena must be 500' by 500' and they have a hotel there that is incredible
Delivered a horse there Monday last week for a client. WOW that place is crazy! I didn't stay and really poke around but man is it a sight. It makes the Kentucky Horse Park look like a hobby farm as far as the facilities go. Kentucky is a whole lot prettier setting however.

Delivered a horse there Monday last week for a client. WOW that place is crazy! I didn't stay and really poke around but man is it a sight. It makes the Kentucky Horse Park look like a hobby farm as far as the facilities go. Kentucky is a whole lot prettier setting however.
I deliver horse trailers to a dealer at that exit.

Over! Shirts and/sweater type clothes anyway.

Put an outer garment over the straps and you will regret it the first time the straps slip down off your shoulder and you can't reach down your arm to pull it back up.

(It's why I much prefer insulated coveralls to overalls.)

Yes, an outercoat is fine over the bibs, but nothing lighter/thinner that can't be easily removed.
(& remember, ya still gotta be able to go take a pee even in winter, so you have to be able to get to it.... )

A sweater under a carhart coat had me sweatin in 12 degrees. The wind finally laid, making it seem warm.
A new development has gone in (McMansions) on top of a hill on a county road I must use to get to some of the cows.
With 3 inches of fresh snow it took much longer to help pull cars up the hill than it did to feed the cows.

Public service announcement
If you are new to Georgia, we are about to experience a " Georgia Winter". This is 6 or 7 days of cold, maybe some ice and snow. Meteorologist will threaten snow, And It may snow and it may not, but if they say 2 inches it could be 10 or it could be 1/2". It doesn't matter how much snow it is, we'll all freak out because we don't see snow often.
The threat of snow (or ice) is your prompt to head to the grocery store and buy milk, eggs and bread . It doesn't matter if you need these items or not you will just buy them. It's just what we do. Rest assured that everyone in town will be there.
You'll also need to make a mad dash for faucet covers and finding them and getting out of the store will be like an episode of the hunger games You're in the redneck district.

Don't look for a sled. You won't find one. In the rare chance we get enough ice or snow to sled grab some cardboard or a trash can lid and go find the nearest hill.
Just go with it.
You'll be fine.

We don't have equipment to handle the winter and weather. The roads will be a mess and even though the state has been telling you for a week they're ready, they're not and it won't work. Just stay home if you can and if you can't just come to terms with the fact that nobody here knows how to drive in snow and ice.
Whatever you do, DO NOT talk about snow tires.
If you happen to slide off the road or get stuck, turn your flashers on, take a deep breath and wait. Two good ole boys in a four wheel drive truck will be along in no time to offer assistance. Don't try to help them just stay ouf of their wat. They live for this stuff, and will do what they can to get you back on the road. If either one of them screams "Hey y'all watch this " just get back and get your phone out and start recording, you'll probably have a viral video for TicTok later
No matter what you do, don't talk about how they did it back home in any of these scenarios.
Nobody cares.
You live in Georgia now.

Georgians know they live in the greatest state in the country and it's our way or the highway.
When we act like we're going to die and start to complain about the 7 days of winter just shut up. We're serious and we don't care how much you love it.
You'll be back in flip flops within a week to ten days and it'll be nice until right around Easter.
Georgia's "second winter" will be 2 or 3 days and will hit right around Easter, usually the week before or the week after. This will hit right around the time you plant flowers and a garden

We know you're not from around here when we see you've planted flowers before Easter and before the "second winter" has hit.
This is why all the people at the nursery don't sound like us when you're shopping for plants.
We know better.
During second winter it'll go from 70 to 25 and you'll experience all four seasons in one day
This too shall pass, get used to it and when second winter is over you can enjoy the 3-4 days of "spring" before summer gets here and it'll be melt your face off hot until sometime around Halloween.
All
đź’Ż
Facts.

0 to -7 here this morning depending on who you asked. Made it up to a high of about 15.

It started snowing about 10 PM Sunday night here and it just quit. I pushed snow last night and again tonight. Its definitely not fun. But at least the temp is in the mid 20's so the salt were speading is keeping the road mostly clear.

Latest posts