Someone is bullish on the market

Help Support CattleToday:

That is over 3 tons per cow. That is a lot of hay. At 150 days of feeding that is 42 pounds a day. I fed about 27 pounds per head a day this last winter and the cows came through in real good shape. Farther north, colder weather, all old broken mouth cows, and calved Feb-March. Fed Dec 11 to April 20.
How would you suggest I improve that?

An old buyer friend of mine once said to keep to yearlings. His theory was that lots of times long yearlings have been traded twice by time they go to the lot and guys hope to make $50 to $100 each turn… Why not keep that profit for yourself.
Grazing yearlings can work well as long as the market is not going down. Pre selling can address this.

The cow calf operator has some potential grazing yearlings advantages by retaining the "best" calves and reducing the middlemen. If you know how to raise decent pasture - - the return per acre will be higher than with cow calf.

That is over 3 tons per cow. That is a lot of hay. At 150 days of feeding that is 42 pounds a day. I fed about 27 pounds per head a day this last winter and the cows came through in real good shape. Farther north, colder weather, all old broken mouth cows, and calved Feb-March. Fed Dec 11 to April 20.
Not that it impacts the situation all that much, but I might be a little high on the per bale weight. I have never weighed one.

I do have about 15 calves and a bull in that mix.

HD are you feeding all they can eat? Rolling out your hay? When are you calving? Are you willing to let your cows get a little thin?
I calve in the fall and in the spring, about 50/50.

They are hungry when I put hay out. I waste very little hay. I do not roll it out. I feed in hay rings. They are not over conditioned, but not super thin.

Rolling out your hay?
To add more color.

My ground is not frozen. It is muddy most of the time. I much prefer putting hay out when it is froze, but most of the time I am simply trying to minimize the damage to the pasture going to and from.

How would you suggest I improve that?
The problem is 150 days if that's how long you're feeding. Bet you could get that down to 110 or so. Save some serious money. I hay feed for 90 days assuming grass is good by late April.

Guess my first lesson should be how to sell 825 lb calves for $1250. I can't sell 8wts for anywhere near 1.50 here
Superior sold several loads of 850 pound steers out of Kentucky for $1.40 last week. That is $1,190. Not $1,250 but close. I don't know what your commission is at the sales there but Superior is 2% less than our local sales. That is $23.80 savings on those $1,190 steers.

We feed for no less than 120 days, sometimes longer. Trust me it's not a choice, but it's what we have to do in our area due to drought and short grazing window with sub-par grass.

I calve in the fall and in the spring, about 50/50.

They are hungry when I put hay out. I waste very little hay. I do not roll it out. I feed in hay rings. They are not over conditioned, but not super thin.
You should get a hay unroller. From my experience cows only need about 35-40lbs of hay a day. Figure hey bale weight and divide by number of cows and roll out that much per day. Free feeding hay is a waste. The draw back is ya have to hay everyday or have separate pens you could open daily. Worked for me and the unroller paid for its self within a month

The problem is 150 days if that's how long you're feeding. Bet you could get that down to 110 or so. Save some serious money. I hay feed for 90 days assuming grass is good by late April.
I am working on it.

Sure. That would be easy. I would never need hay, or much else. It would be a free ride.
Yes there is a way if your in the fescue belt. Get the number of cows to match what will still make a profit by feeding less. Put your fertilizer on grazing stockpile fescue instead of hay..
But if it snows 12" have hay ready.

Yes there is a way if your in the fescue belt. Get the number of cows to match what will still make a profit by feeding less. Put your fertilizer on grazing stockpile fescue instead of hay..
Kenny - I am sure what you does works for you there.

I am as much Bermuda as I am Fescue. That speaks to our climate differences. It gets drier in the summer, it gets hotter here, and it gets colder here and I expect my winter temperature swings are more wide ranging.

I lived in upper east Tennessee and I would call it and where you are much more temperate than here.

Kenny - I am sure what you does works for you there.

I am as much Bermuda as I am Fescue. That speaks to our climate differences. It gets drier in the summer, it gets hotter here, and it gets colder here and I expect my winter temperature swings are more wide ranging.

I lived in upper east Tennessee and I would call it and where you are much more temperate than here.
The Bermuda is a problem. Mob grazing is one way to deal with it. Another way may be to move your feed bunks onto the Bermuda spots and let the cows destroy it. May be worth a shot?

A key here is fescue belt. There are other ways to stock pile like using annual mixes or OG, but you run the risk of getting snowed out. Standing corn is the most weather proof, but it is not as cheap as perennials.

The other key is not overstocking, and then using all the potential profit to hay extra cows. Many of us would make more money with 30 to 40% less cows and a longer grazing season.

Latest posts