Someone is bullish on the market

Help Support CattleToday:

Dave

Reaction score
Superior is having their "Week in the Rockies" sale this week. I watched a little bit of the sale. The market is looking pretty good. I watched a load of 1,000 pound feeder heifers sell for $1.60. Other lots sell for that same kind of money. They were selling feeder heifers when I was watching. They sold a lot better than the sale yard has been doing lately.

Last edited:
Feeders are good here. They took a bunch off the cow market here in the last week.

Can't see how $1600 heifers can convert to 1350 @ 1.24 which is $1674
Subsidies and tax advantages Kenny. Market is on the upswing and those in charge know there are lots of cows going to kill due to the drought.

I missed a word in my post, "pound". They were 1,000 pound heifers. One pot load of them.
Thanks. I was trying to figure out why someone would have 1000 heifers for sale in one lot; thought it must have had to be a feedlot liquidation or something.

Thanks. I was trying to figure out why someone would have 1000 heifers for sale in one lot; thought it must have had to be a feedlot liquidation or something.
Lots of grass guys summering thousands of yearlings and sell them in big groups.

I took a real quick look at Superior's catalog for this sale. I didn't see any 1,000 head lots but I did see a couple 600 head lots. I saw one rancher selling 820 divided into two lots. In the past I have seen a number of people selling over 1,000 head. They are generally divided into several lots based on size and sex.
While there I watched two lots sell. 220 head of steers weighing 500 brought $2.02. 280 head of steers weighing 540 sold for $1.93. Both out of Nebraska.

You gotta make sure you are are comparing apples to apples when you look at those superior prices. A lot of those cattle will have all the bells and whistles and bring big premiums. All natural, suped up genetics, this or that program, etc etc. Also location always affects price. The closer they are to the feedlots the more they will bring. It costs about 70 cents per hundred for every 100 miles they are hauled. I think you better double check those numbers on that load of 1000 lb hfrs that sold for 1.60

If you want to sort through everything they sold on Tuesday you are welcome to do that. I watched them sell. They certainly pay more for cattle that are closer. Nothing new there. I don't know where you come up with that figure of 70 cents per 100 pounds per 100 miles. It sure never cost me that much to have a pot load of cattle hauled.

If you want to sort through everything they sold on Tuesday you are welcome to do that. I watched them sell. They certainly pay more for cattle that are closer. Nothing new there. I don't know where you come up with that figure of 70 cents per 100 pounds per 100 miles. It sure never cost me that much to have a pot load of cattle hauled.
Yep I found them. I stand corrected. Wow. Freight is 3.50/mile and a truck hauls 50k lbs . 3.5 per mile* 100Miles=$350/50k lbs=$.007 per lb *100 Lbs = $.7 per 100 lbs

Still happy we contracted in February!
Do you contract every year? I haven't tried it yet but know allot of folks that do. Some of the guys are saying contract prices are what's keeping prices so low, I can definitely see were it would. What's your thoughts on that?

We contracted a bunch of yearling heifers last year. It worked out real well for us. Contracted fat cattle aren't helping. That is because the packers contract based the cash price at delivery. If they have a lot of contracted cattle they get off the cash market which drives the cash price down. So they get the contracted cattle for a lower price.

Do you contract every year? I haven't tried it yet but know allot of folks that do. Some of the guys are saying contract prices are what's keeping prices so low, I can definitely see were it would. What's your thoughts on that?
There has only been one year in the last 15 that we contracted early and lost money. Last year we put them through the ring and lost money compared to an earlier contract so guess we are even!
It has been our experience that most years anticipation pays better than reality. We have never made a bad deal that we profited from.
It is also necessary for a producer to have a good grasp on markets.
Every cow here that has a steer calf on her will give us $600 back over expenses on the longest feeding winter we have ever had. The Char x heifers and likely the light end heifers will be sold on the open market as neither group will make a load. We will decide what to do with the top and middle once our hay is in.
Never contract your calves for less than you think they are realistically worth!

There has only been one year in the last 15 that we contracted early and lost money. Last year we put them through the ring and lost money compared to an earlier contract so guess we are even!
It has been our experience that most years anticipation pays better than reality. We have never made a bad deal that we profited from.
It is also necessary for a producer to have a good grasp on markets.
Every cow here that has a steer calf on her will give us $600 back over expenses on the longest feeding winter we have ever had. The Char x heifers and likely the light end heifers will be sold on the open market as neither group will make a load. We will decide what to do with the top and middle once our hay is in.
Never contract your calves for less than you think they are realistically worth!
Sounds like you have a good grasp on things. $600 per steer calf is a good profit.

Some of the reports I watch say that if rancher "A" contracts for a $1.50 in August, then why would a buyer give rancher "B" $1.75 in August. In other words Rancher "A" sort of sets the price for the month. You saying you rarely miss makes me believe this is true. I'm definitely not knocking people that contract. If Cattle was my only source of income or I was really needing things to go a certain way I'd definitely contract. It's just interesting to hear all the different views on what keeps prices low or what sets the price. I haven't watched Corbit in a while but I think he called it the 60/40.

Sounds like you have a good grasp on things. $600 per steer calf is a good profit.

Some of the reports I watch say that if rancher "A" contracts for a $1.50 in August, then why would a buyer give rancher "B" $1.75 in August. In other words Rancher "A" sort of sets the price for the month. You saying you rarely miss makes me believe this is true. I'm definitely not knocking people that contract. If Cattle was my only source of income or I was really needing things to go a certain way I'd definitely contract. It's just interesting to hear all the different views on what keeps prices low or what sets the price. I haven't watched Corbit in a while but I think he called it the 60/40.
Then you want to contract early for $1.80