This is Crazy over $10/pound!

Help Support CattleToday:

My young Jersey is heavy bred AI for a heifer calf. I thought I'd buy an extra Jersey calf or two to raise on the milk and sell. Now I think I'll just get my 13 year old cow bred also. Cost- $70
100_2245.JPG
100_2041.JPG
It will take the calf away and dry her up, raise on a bottle. Lactation takes too much out of old Jerseys.

I plan to become a cattle magnate :)

Attachments

• Daphne 2022.JPG
    Daphne 2022.JPG
    382.8 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
What is the actual purpose of giving that much for a bottle calf? I saw someone say grafting onto heifers that lost one to sell pairs, but that's a big chunk of green to risk.

My young Jersey is heavy bred AI for a heifer calf. I thought I'd buy an extra Jersey calf or two to raise on the milk and sell. Now I think I'll just get my 13 year old cow bred also. Cost- $70
View attachment 42693
View attachment 42694
It will take the calf away and dry her up, raise on a bottle. Lactation takes too much out of old Jerseys.

I plan to become a cattle magnate :)
I would not want to hand milk the hind quarters on that cow.

What is the actual purpose of giving that much for a bottle calf? I saw someone say grafting onto heifers that lost one to sell pairs, but that's a big chunk of green to risk.
Math.
When they are selling as 6 wts for 1800 to 2000, I guess the juice is worth the squeeze.
I'm not brave enough to put a pencil to it.
The 2 I bought this year were 400 and 475. The cow is raising them. They will make money.

$1,000 for a bottle calf. WOW
I was on their FB page, scrolling through posts, and in January they had a 3 day old, Ang X Holstein bull calf that weighed 176 lbs! Could you imagine getting $1700 for a 3 day old calf?!!! IN the post that @sstterry , they said those were beef cross calves too. Man, if they sold like that every where, you'd never wean another calf again!

Angus/hol cross calves here are bringing $6-900 .... and in PA a friend showed me that they had some that brought 9.70 /lb for 100 lb calves...
Yep it is crazy...
Got an old cow, smokey char x, that has been a good one, but her calf is small and she doesn't have much milk... probably going to split them, next time a trailer is going to town... can't justify keeping them since this was going to be her last calf anyway... let someone else deal with the calf at those prices.
Those prices are why so many dairy farmers are breeding half of their herds to beef now.... and why it is nearly impossible to find calves to graft on to nurse cows....

Puzzled in Oregon said "I would not want to hand milk the hind quarters on that cow."

In 2016 while I was in Oregon a forest fire burned onto the Texas ranch and the cowboys evacuated all our cattle and horses across the river to the auction yard. She had a big steer calf on her which was taken away and sold. She stayed in a filthy auction pen with open teats leaking milk and big beef cows beating her up. Cowboys don't know anything about dairy cows. I came back about a week later she was back on the ranch burning up septic with fever and mastitis in all 4 quarters. I saved her with Baytril shots and good nursing care but she lost her two back quarters. She could still raise calves on those front two.

Those prices are why so many dairy farmers are breeding half of their herds to beef now.... and why it is nearly impossible to find calves to graft on to nurse cows....
Sexed semen and embryos are a big factor! No need to have 50 percent of your calf crop as a loss of profit.
That and the ever decreasing number of dairy's are effecting the price. Dairy calf prices always spike in the spring as demand increases.

Latest posts