Smoking

Help Support CattleToday:

More information about radioactive particles. It is so easy to blame smokers for cancer. What we could be finding out is smoking is a protectent.

OAKLAND, Calif. -- Cheese graters, handbags, fencing and recliners are just some of the thousands of consumer products that have been manufactured with radioactive metals, according to U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission (NRC) records.
NRC records show 18,740 documented cases involving radioactive materials in consumer products, in metal intended for consumer products or other public exposure to radioactive material. The U.S. Government Accountability Office estimates there are some 500,000 unaccounted for radioactively contaminated metal objects in the U.S., and the NRC estimates that figure is around is 20 million pounds of contaminated waste.
In 2006 in Texas, for example, a recycling facility inadvertently created 500,000 pounds of radioactive steel byproducts after melting metal contaminated with Cesium-137, according to U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission records. In Florida in 2001, another recycler unintentionally did the same, and wound up with 1.4 million pounds of radioactive material.

http://www.greenbiz.com/news/2009/06/08 ... -recycling

It appears the Senate approved the FDA to regulate the amount of nicotine in tobacco today. The house will surely pass this and President will surely sign this into law. This could mean that the FDA will completely get rid of nicotine in tobacco products. There are about 40M smokers in the USA. Should we buy big pharma stocks who are likely to step in to sell nicotine?

HerefordSire":3r58smu8 said:
It appears the Senate approved the FDA to regulate the amount of nicotine in tobacco today. The house will surely pass this and President will surely sign this into law. This could mean that the FDA will completely get rid of nicotine in tobacco products. There are about 40M smokers in the USA. Should we buy big pharma stocks who are likely to step in to sell nicotine?

As I hear it, the FDA can order reduction of nicotine to any level but zero. That doesn't mean they will, but they can.
The talkers I heard this from are hoping nicotine will be reduced to a level which is "non-addictive". :lol2:
I think the investment you want would be a tunnel from Mexico into the US or a big fast boat in the Caribbean.
Cigarettes that smokers want will continue to be made somewhere. The supply chain will have to be informal.

john250":2u7e5w7s said:
HerefordSire":2u7e5w7s said:

As I hear it, the FDA can order reduction of nicotine to any level but zero. That doesn't mean they will, but they can.
The talkers I heard this from are hoping nicotine will be reduced to a level which is "non-addictive". :lol2:
I think the investment you want would be a tunnel from Mexico into the US or a big fast boat in the Caribbean.
Cigarettes that smokers want will continue to be made somewhere. The supply chain will have to be informal.

Why can't the FDA remove nicotine completely?

john250":3i20j2bs said:
That's what the law says.

I think you are correct on the underground economy. It will boom. California mary jane market is also booming. See that on CNBC?

It is as if the lawmakers know this will happen and they do it intentionally instead of receiving tax revenue, they lose revenue. ???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

How to make 1 trillion dollars in one year and balance the budget.

(1) Triple tobacco taxes for 40 million US citizens

(2) Place control of tobacco under the FDA

(3) Drastically lower nicotine content thereby forcing smokers to triple consumption

Brilliant!

Before taxes, a pack per day smoker paid $2.50 per day. After the above three bullets have been implemented, the same pack a day smoker needs three packs per day @ three times the price or 3 * 3 * 2.50 = $22.50 per day for a $20 net per day increase in revenue. WOW!

Brilliant!
Brilliant!
Brilliant!

Yippee!!!

According to MSNBC News, the House overwhelmingly passed their new tobacco bill. Today, Friday, following the Senate's overwhelmingly passing the bill, they passed their version onto the House. Thus, Congress has overwhelmingly passed the anti-tobacco bill which will be submitted to King Obama ASAP for signing into Law.

Now the "good news" (IMHO):

• Tobacco Prices (aka new taxes) will increase.
    No more "light" or other (faux) cigarette blends.
    Tobacco companies will have to increase their costs to wholesalers due to more Federal mandates.
    No more mail-order discount cigarettes.
    Probably a new wave of "Post Traumatic Stress Disorders" for those that can't afford new tobacco prices (less $$ for food and Rx for the poor).
    Alleged "reduction" in tobacco related illnesses.
    Possible "increased" medical costs for PTSD, anxiety, and others going nuts during withdrawal (for those that decide to "try" to quit.

Are you ready for $10. a pack cigarettes?

Your Tax Dollars at Work...Priceless!

Running Arrow Bill":2zrxe2hf said:
Yippee!!!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

:banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

:drink: :drink: :drink: :drink: :drink: :drink: :drink: :drink: :drink: :drink: :drink: :drink: :drink:

:devil2: :devil2: :devil2: :devil2: :devil2: :devil2: :devil2: :devil2: :devil2: :devil2: :devil2: :devil2:

:help: :help: :help: :help: :help: :help: :help: :help: :help: :help: :help: :help: :help: :help: :help:

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

john250":os6u5889 said:
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB124484664398811283.html#mod=djemEditorialPage

To sum up, this bill is largely an exercise in political and financial self-interest masquerading as public virtue. Another day at the Washington office.

To sum it up, EVERYTHING in Washington is an exercise in political and financial self-interest masquerading as public virtue. Those people are so far out of touch and there's nothing we can do about it anymore.

Go to Walmart and you have 50 different choices when it comes to toothpaste. Go to the voting booth and you have 2. And those 2 are virtually the same thing, just one is in a box marked R and the other D. Let me hush now before this gets locked...

grannysoo":4egfxpud said:
john250":4egfxpud said:
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB124484664398811283.html#mod=djemEditorialPage

To sum up, this bill is largely an exercise in political and financial self-interest masquerading as public virtue. Another day at the Washington office.

To sum it up, EVERYTHING in Washington is an exercise in political and financial self-interest masquerading as public virtue. Those people are so far out of touch and there's nothing we can do about it anymore.

Go to Walmart and you have 50 different choices when it comes to toothpaste. Go to the voting booth and you have 2. And those 2 are virtually the same thing, just one is in a box marked R and the other D. Let me hush now before this gets locked...
it must make it much easier to vote, we have the three main parties then the Independants, Green, BNP, to cut it down all in all we have 12 to choose from and each one is as bad as the other.

They learned the hard way that prohibition for alchohol didn't work. The "war on drugs" isn't working either. So rather than ban smoking, they are trying to manipulate the behavior of the people by making smoking more expensive. It isn't going to work, either. It's just going to create a new kind of criminal activity.

MO_cows":34b5zjzm said:
They learned the hard way that prohibition for alchohol didn't work. The "war on drugs" isn't working either. So rather than ban smoking, they are trying to manipulate the behavior of the people by making smoking more expensive. It isn't going to work, either. It's just going to create a new kind of criminal activity.

I'm putting some tobacco plants in the garden.

MO_cows":1ewzb1ao said:

You got that right!

"Smash and grab and run..." (Carton or case of cigarettes...major felony...lol).

I can see it now... If you are seen smoking, some gang banger will mug you for a pack of cigarettes...forget the purse or wallet...lol.

News Headlines: An "alleged person of interest (legalease)" shot and killed a 90 year old man because he refused to hand over a carton of cigarettes. His 88 year old wife shot the alleged person of interest several times with an AR-15 after seeing her husband shot dead".

Probably could happen somewhere...lol.

Three things any government will never legislate out of existance:

• Alcohol
    Tobacco
    Prostitution

:banana:

This may have been said before and is irrelevant to this whole discussion BUT cigarette smoke STINKS on you and your clothes why do you want to stink...It is disgusting and nauseating for others to smell..

Cow poop is one thing but stale cigarette smoke is another and I have almost tossed my lunch when being around people who stink..

The next huge stink is garlic and for those of you who think that because you cannot smell it no one else can are WRONG!!!!!!!!

hillsdown":1t53x33p said:
This may have been said before and is irrelevant to this whole discussion BUT cigarette smoke STINKS on you and your clothes why do you want to stink...It is disgusting and nauseating for others to smell..

Cow poop is one thing but stale cigarette smoke is another and I have almost tossed my lunch when being around people who stink..

The next huge stink is garlic and for those of you who think that because you cannot smell it no one else can are WRONG!!!!!!!!

:cowboy: :cowboy: :cowboy:

Could we tax garlic? We could relate ecoli bacteria to it and the bad smell. It is anti-social like kissing someone that just ate onions? We could even make it against the law making the underground economy stronger and healthier to maintain prison capacity for employment purposes.

hillsdown":1corp8dv said:

This is a perfect example, Hills, why I avoid being around the anti-smokers. Another reason why I live in the country and can do as I please here. Yes, I avoid trying to smoke in prohibited places when I have to go into them (grocery store, bank, post office, etc.): The half-life of nicotine is approximately 2 hours...plenty of time to "do your shopping" before you have to have another nicotine fix...lol. The anti-smoking crowd (for whatever their reasons, and I respect those reasons) is the "new generation". Those of us that grew up in the 40's, 50's, 60's, etc., smoked (men and women). With some exceptions, we will not alter our lifestyle to be "accepted" and all (non-disgusting, non-stinking, etc.) to please the anti-smokers. This is our right and privilege to participate in our own vice, in our own space (granted there are some jerks that impose their smoke on others in close quarters). At least, probably vast majority of smokers don't snort cocaine, smoke crack, and other highly illegal products. Most of us addicted smokers are in our 60's, 70's, and 80's. We are satisfied with our lives (with some exceptions).

FYI (and others), Yes...I refrain from smoking around my customers and visitors. If I do lite up outside, I stay downwind and several feet away from them out of respecting their space...

On a sidebar, I am not aware of smokers who go around bashing the overweight, fat people, those that use nauseating perfume or aftershave, those that have obnoxious personalities, those that go around popping their gum, or those that have other "insensitive" behaviors.

As my drill sergeant said in Basic Training: "Smoke Em If You Gotta Em"

Git Er Done!

Latest posts